rllmuk
wev

Dangerous Driving - it's Burnout! Out Now. "brake a little earlier than you were thinking of, stay on the gas and steer!"

I have to confess I slept on Danger Zone 1 & 2, but that does look good. If there's a Burnout 3-style Road Rage mode, then I could probably play this forever.

• Upvote 2

Sometimes you realise there is something missing from your life. You go about your day wondering what it could be, but it's just a vague feeling that there is something out there that is going to fill that void but you don't know what it is or how to find it. Then one day you realise what was missing all this time, with the answer and solution hitting you full in the face with the force of a speeding supercar.

• Upvote 3

@K Oh fucking yes there is. And there will be good tweaks to it online as well. If you could give us a sale, then it goes toward getting us time to tune and polish.

If not, pop on down and give us a hand eh?

• Upvote 7

Good to see Alex Ward still knocking around. I remember seeing you about in the old Edge days. I got you mixed up with AlexW who posted a pic of himself (Edge photo wall?) and seeing it and thinking, wow this guy is pretty young for making such incredible games. Deffo a sale +1. I need more Burnout style games in my life.

• Upvote 2

Thank you, Alex. I've always felt that the Burnout games were meant just for me, much like a band you first see playing in a pub one Wednesday night and then watch them become popular and fill Wembley stadium.  I remember discovering Burnout and telling everyone how amazing it was.  They wrongly thought Gran Turismo was better, fools.  I think we all know the inverse relationship between how many times you have to use the brake button and how much fun you are having.

I really couldn't pick a favourite between Burnout 2 and 3, as they always felt like completely separate games.  2 was the best for pure racing, but 3 felt more like a beat 'em up in cars.  Not a criticism, by the way, I absolutely love that game.  I remember playing it at some expo thing before it had come out and was blown away by it.  The wait for it to launch was excruciating. I've always dreamed of a game that mixes the strengths of both of those, that would be perfection.  Watching that video, I think we may just be getting it!

As I've got older, had kids and got a job worth a damn, I've less time to play and read about games, so I confess Danger Zone 1 & 2 had passed me by.  I have rectified that tonight and they are both downloading to my PS4 at the moment.  Can't wait to play them and introduce my two boys to the chaos.

I typically don't buy games day one anymore, but I will absolutely be making an exception with Dangerous Driving.  The money and time has already been mentally allocated.  Best of luck with it.

Again, thanks for making your past games and having the balls to not listen to the suits.  As long as I have any life in me, there will be an audience for these games.  Now when your finished with this, can we have a Black sequel, please?  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Sometimes you realise there is something missing from your life. You go about your day wondering what it could be, but it's just a vague feeling that there is something out there that is going to fill that void but you don't know what it is or how to find it. Then one day you realise what was missing all this time, with the answer and solution hitting you full in the face with the force of a speeding supercar.

An SSD?

• Upvote 4

@ Deeptone Thanks for the purchases. Our Studio exists because of players like you. They are small games, but there are a good few hours of entertainment. LMK wha you think of the M6 Spaghetti Junction or the M5 Gordano Services levels on DZ2.

The games were actually just meant for me, but I'm glad you felt that way too. And that was our journey, from total unknown underdogs and taking on the rest of the world with our silky smooth framerate and amazing tracks wth lookalike cars!

Def Leppard are playing the UK at the moment. One of my favourite bands. At the end of every concert they say to the audience 'don't forget about us as we won't forget about you!"

That has always stuck with me. And it's why we've got 25 plus people at the office tomorrow to play the game. Because we've not forgotten about the people who supported all the games in the past. It's been amazing and humbling to see so much support from the UK today. You guys here are amazing. (I did race many of you on B3 PS2 online and took most of you down, you just didn't know it was me!)

• Upvote 5

That does indeed look like Burnout. Day 1!

3 hours ago, Benny said:

There's a German word for everything: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sehnsucht

11 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Please post a few photos of people having amazing fun at the office trying the game as I have a family so can't make it :(

I agree with this. It's great seeing a developer say "y'know what, it's the fans that really matter" and essentially wiping their hands of the media to get their game talked about. It means so much more to see a group of people excited for a game without websites telling you to be excited.

I disappear from the forum for a few days and then @CrashedAlex shows up and drops this beauty of a game on us. :omg:

I'm trying to avoid fanboying out too much, suffice to say that Burnout 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit still rank as my finest and most fondly remembered arcade racing experiences.. and I've played A LOT of arcade racers over the years. So thank you for all the good times!

Dangerous Driving shoots straight up next year's wanted list and a guaranteed sale here.

Thanks also for sharing the Burnout stories in the other thread. The "Shiny Red Car" series quite rightly deserve their prominent place in race gaming history.

EDIT: I should also ask the inevitable question.. will there be a photomode included? ;)

• Upvote 5

Great to see Alex W contribute in the other thread, some nice insight there.

However OMFG this looks absolutely amazing, i got home and just watched the video and my eyebrows were going through the ceiling and my jaw through the floor! Just shot to my most anticipated title! I did a little fist pump when I seen the cop cars.

• Upvote 1

@Trumpets Thank You!

@wev I was cold calling magazines for "Dangerous Golf". With big sites these days if you don't match their video algorithm then you're up against it. Magazines need to know three months before launch to meet their deadlines. But for indie studios working on games with short development teams, that means you have to magic a finished looking game out of nowhere in your first three weeks of development. There's a reason why that's impossible. Again, that IGN video represents four months of work. So "The Last of US 2" it certainly ain't.

@U-1 Take a very close look at the logo for our game...

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

@Trumpets

@U-1 Take a very close look at the logo for our game...

Nice.. don't think I would have spotted that.

Super impressed with that IGN footage, think I need to look into where you guys are based. 

That does look very very very enticing indeed. I loved Burnout 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit (and Paradise and Revenge, but the other two especially) and this looks like an incredible revival.

Good luck with it, I think there's another nailed-on sale here.

• Upvote 1

@CrashedAlex, this looks fantastic. Can't wait for release.

I remember back in the day I played a demo for Burnout 3 from the OPM magazine. I would have been 14/15. When it came out I got the 90 minute bis to my local town and went to GAME. It was the first time in my life that I bought a full price game on launch day. £39.99 of my hard earned £3.10 an hour wage. 

I fucking loved it. 

Did you have anything to do with Burnout Legends on the PSP? That always felt like Burnout 3 Mobile. It's one of my favourite games on the system.

• Upvote 1

Looks great. Biggest deal-breaker for me these days is that arcade racers tend to have terrible licensed soundtracks that I have to turn off. Any chance of this having original music, possibly even a dynamic soundtrack?