rllmuk
Revival

Mortal Kombat 11 | April 23rd 2019

Some quality writing here.

”Raiden said the well of souls would be underground”

A well? Underground, you say? As opposed to the Wells you get above ground? Well thank you very much, Raiden Sherlock Holmes.

On 09/05/2019 at 13:19, Strafe said:

Switch copy just arrived. 18GB update 

How you finding the switch version? Just started it myself. I think I prefer it handheld. Story mode is crazy obviously. 

Just finished the storyline and I'd say out of the recent trilogy of 9, 10 and it was probably the weakest. I didn't like the 3 main protagonists at all and the final boss was utter shit.

I did however like where it leaves us

Spoiler

Lui Kang as a demi God with Kitana, protectors of Earth Realm and also the MK timeline starting from scratch. They now have licence to start MK lore all over again and bring in a whole cast of characters and not have to rely on using the same ones over and over.

Biggest take away from it though is that Kotal Kahn > Shao Khan.

If anyone fancies a few bouts, feel free to add me on PSN: "smithstock".

I've played the franchise a decent amount of the last few iterations but I've yet to fully sink the time into a character on this - I've finished story mode, training and am now going through the arcade tower to finish each character backstory and mop up a few trophies. Quite liking Scorpion in this version but I've used Sub-Zero a lot in the past so I probably won't stray too far from those guys, however, I've really enjoyed playing as Jax. He seems to be one of the easiest characters to pick up outside of Liu Kang.

11 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

How you finding the switch version? Just started it myself. I think I prefer it handheld. Story mode is crazy obviously. 

Was quite enjoying it playing story mode until the final boss.

Now just playing vs mode against AI on normal and doing not so great. The stick isn’t the best for the single direction inputs and the d pad/buttons are too low to play comfortably imo. I could play it docked but that’s not what I bought it for.

I suspect the larger issue is that I’m shit, though.

Any tips, anyone?

I think Fatal Blow’s are a bad call. They’re fun to begin with but, aside from not usually causing a fatality and being a bit ott, they’re just a cutscene during the middle of the fight that breaks up the flow and, once activated, doesn’t require any further attention and takes a rather long time. There’s also no skill involved in gaining the ability (quite the opposite).

I may be in the minority here.

I would gladly remove Fatal Blows, even though I used them a couple of times just to get through the fight, but I also think there should be some kind of catch-up mechanism in place. They're like a cheesy version of SFIV's Ultras, as they don't really require any skill, so I would probably tweak them a little.

Perhaps make them a little harder to pull off? At the very least they should be renamed, since they aren't actually fatal! Maybe "Killer Kombo", and they activate later but always finish the opponent off. Make them terrifying, but risky as hell.

• Upvote 1

I dont mind Fatal Blows. Almost all fighting games have a similar comeback mechanic these days. They're a fun way to let newer players do something cool or for experienced players to extend damage or even hold onto as a threat, limiting the opponent's options.

I really like that you can only hit someone with it once in a match in MK11; even if you get an "underserved" win from using it you'll have to win one more round legitimately. 

don't like that, when you use it and miss, it recharges and can be used again after 10 or so seconds. I've not looked into my options but many of them feel difficult to punish even when blocked. I'd prefer them to either be lost forever after use even when you miss or for the recovery animation to be longer so that you'll definitely take damage for careless use.

Maybe I'm underestimating how punishable they are. Maybe every character can kill an opponent who has thoughtlessly smashed out a Fatal Blow so that the recharging issue is irrelevant. At lower skill levels I think keeping the opponent exposed for longer would be better; smartly blocking should allow for a big basic jump-in combo rather than distance/speed specific counters which need to be practiced on a per-opponent basis.

EDIT: tl;dr - what Strafe said in a single sentence. 

They're similar to what tekken 7 does but not exactly the same. A long stagger after you get blocked would be a good idea. There are a couple of characters for whom I feel the fb dies too much damage. 

Reminder that you can add damage (or defend against damage) to the fatal blows with a correctly-timed button press:

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is a thing in online matches, though.

The odd thing is, fatal blows are more gory than the fatalities! How do you get up and fight on after liu kangs dragon eats you or scorpion stabs out your eyes 

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

The odd thing is, fatal blows are more gory than the fatalities! How do you get up and fight on after liu kangs dragon eats you or scorpion stabs out your eyes 

I know I keep referencing Injustice, but there are done ridiculous ones in that, like dropping asteroids on your opponent, that they will still get up from, even if it's the final hit. Presumably this is a stipulation by DC, though.

Press R2 on the menu screen and it brings up a store screen. You spend them there. It tells you if you already have the item as well as where to unlock it normally.

There's usually nothing very exciting, the store feels like a total afterthought done out of an obligation to tick a box with nothing pushing you to engage with it (that's a very, very good thing!) but the time krystals are frequent enough drops that I don't feel like you're wasting anything when I use it.

Thankfully I can't imagine why anyone would buy the krystals, there's really almost nothing to do with them.

The Krypt is an over complicated system for loot boxes, a grind and bar a couple of fatalities (that should NEVER have been locked out in this way), a joyless slog.

That I can’t stop playing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

The Krypt is an over complicated system for loot boxes, a grind and bar a couple of fatalities (that should NEVER have been locked out in this way), a joyless slog.

That I can’t stop playing.

I wish they had done a custom Krypt for the switch version. A 2d Snes style one that wouldn't have been appallingly slow would've been fine. It seemed like they wanted it to be too faithful a port... 

It looks pretty shocking but not having seen the console version I don’t feel like I’m missing much. I somehow think I wouldn’t be even if I had.

All I need to know is that I have to open all those chests to get all those things I’ll never use and don’t want.

Finally earned the Platinum trophy. Completing 250 towers was the last one left and I was at 219 so I just started Endless Tower and quit over and over again til it popped. Shameless.

It was pretty straightforward. Definitely one of the easiest fighting game platinum trophies, second to Tekken 7 for me.

It doesn't expect you to win 10 ranked matches in a row or anything where you're at the mercy of an online opponent's ability. It's really just the time investment of playing Towers of Time a lot.

Finally managed to get the Kitana Kahn mask by dumping millions of koins into the shrine.

1725974548_KitanaKahn.jpg.cb078806b798a3760a06d66ad0067fc8.jpg

Now to save another 5,000 souls so I can progress further into the krypt >_<

• Upvote 1