Cyhwuhx

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Switch) *unconfirmed*

Yeah, MP1 was of those rare games where you load up the title screen and you know you’re in for a treat immediately. Playing it for the first time in 2003 was mind boggling.

I was thinking the other day about that era where we had two analogue sticks but it was still assumed that the game design would do the tedious work of framing the view and keeping track of enemies. That control scheme was so inspired and so effective, with depth and room for mastery despite keeping things focused and simple and accessible.

Kids today etc.

• Upvote 8

With hindsight it's kind of astonishing that an AAA Nintendo title that has a Metacritic of 97(!) only went on to sell a couple of million. I understand the Metroid franchise is relatively niche and the GameCube was a terrible era for Nintendo for many reasons, but I feel quite certain that any Nintendo title coming out these days with that immense, frothing acclaim would get far more hype and sales than Metroid Prime got back then. Different times I guess, and the internet nowadays definitely spreads the hype more than was possible back then.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Let us measure said:

It's better than the first. :ph34r: Unparalleled atmosphere, and the feeling of getting stronger and gudder as you make your way through the game predates Dark Souls by seven years.

Best bosses in the series by a Chywhuxuyux-approved mile too. 

It's an incredible piece of work that's just completely unparalleled. I can't wait for Prime 4 but it's got big shoes to fill.

• Upvote 2

I can’t believe the Trilogy came out on Wii just over 9 years ago, it doesn’t feel like that long ago. If it does come to Switch I hope they add the original attract sequences back in, they are so good it was a shame to see them cut from the Wii release.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Let us measure said:

It's better than the first. :ph34r: Unparalleled atmosphere, and the feeling of getting stronger and gudder as you make your way through the game predates Dark Souls by seven years.

Best bosses in the series by a Chywhuxuyux-approved mile too. 

Me and Chykka approve of this message. Quadraxis' giving a wink as well.

It's been reported in on multiple sites that MP: Trilogy will be announced for Switch in a Nintendo Direct this week.

I'm up for it as I love the Metroid Prime games, but i'm still a little doubtful if the Switch Joy-Cons can replicate the Pointer Controls of the Wii version, as when I played World of Goo on the Switch I kept having to re-center the pointer as it kept drifting out of alignment.  If Trilogy does come out however, I would think that that would point to that just being an issue with that one game rather than an inherent unsuitability of the controllers to such a configuration, as surely they wouldn't release it if the pointer controls didn't work?... :(

On 05/12/2018 at 08:38, grindmouse said:

I don’t have time to play all the new games coming out. I can’t fathom how you guys can find time and motivation to replay ports of old games. Not even remakes or remasters but just barebones ports.

Phenandra drifts? On my Switch? I'm in.

• Upvote 1

When the MP Trilogy got released on Wii U, could you play with the classic GC controller approach for MP 1 & 2, or was it motion control only for all 3 games?

Just give me all of dem at 1080p with pro controller support* and I'll buy it at a high price :wub:

I've been thinking about playing through MP1 and 2 again but I kept putting it off in case of a lovely Switch remaster appearing and now that it has, it's super effective :wub:

*Hopefully all three games will have both control options: wiggly pointy and traditional. Everyone happy :)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NickC said:

When the MP Trilogy got released on Wii U, could you play with the classic GC controller approach for MP 1 & 2, or was it motion control only for all 3 games?

No you couldn't use classic GC controller controls. All three games used the Wiimote pointer to aim. 

IMO, it doesn't work for MP1&2. 

16 minutes ago, Jarik said:

It's been reported in on multiple sites that MP: Trilogy will be announced for Switch in a Nintendo Direct this week.

I'm up for it as I love the Metroid Prime games, but i'm still a little doubtful if the Switch Joy-Cons can replicate the Pointer Controls of the Wii version, as when I played World of Goo on the Switch I kept having to re-center the pointer as it kept drifting out of alignment.  If Trilogy does come out however, I would think that that would point to that just being an issue with that one game rather than an inherent unsuitability of the controllers to such a configuration, as surely they wouldn't release it if the pointer controls didn't work?... :(

Sadly, I  don't think the joycon are suitable for doing Wii style pointer controls in FPS games where the reticule is always there. That drift is just what happens, it's not World of Goo's fault. And it was quite significant in World of Goo.  

1 hour ago, Fatsam said:

Sadly, I  don't think the joycon are suitable for doing Wii style pointer controls in FPS games where the reticule is always there. That drift is just what happens, it's not World of Goo's fault. And it was quite significant in World of Goo.  

So we need a joycon plus.

And all the Wii ports

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I'm probably the only one here hoping for a retrofitted GC control scheme on MP3.

So much faster and cleaner to play with a normal controller.

Nope. Same here. Respect to those who like the pointer and all that, but I'm desperately hoping for normal controls to be added to MP3 so that I can finally play it. Or else I will have to skip it again, as I just cannot get on with pointer controls.

5 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I'm probably the only one here hoping for a retrofitted GC control scheme on MP3.

So much faster and cleaner to play with a normal controller.

I would like MP3 with retrofitted Gamecube-style controls. That's exactly what I want. 

Have you tried something like that via emulation?

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I would like MP3 with retrofitted Gamecube-style controls. That's exactly what I want. 

Have you tried something like that via emulation?

Nope, never felt the need to try tbh. Never replayed the game now that I think about it...

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Nope, never felt the need to try tbh. Never replayed the game now that I think about it...

I finished MP 1 & 2 multiple times. Over and over. 

I didn't even finish MP3 once. I don't have an aversion to motion controls at all, but I did feel that it didn't really work with that game. 

I'd kill for a Switch trilogy remaster with "normal" controls for all three. 

• Upvote 1

Same here, though I did finish MP3 for the sake of it. The lock of 1&2 is just easier to play. The motion controls demand “work”. Complete opposite of what they promoted. 

I felt that the pointer aiming in Trilogy really added to the immersiveness.  In the original Prime 1 & 2, you needed to hold down a button to look up & down, but with the Pointer, you could just do it, & could take in all the details that the level designers added.  I also liked how if you wanted, you didn't need to rely on the lock-on & could just take out a War Wasp nest with a casual missile shot from the other side of the room.

But if the Switch controls really are unsuited to such a control scheme, then IMO a Switch port of Trilogy with traditional controls will loose that unique feeling that the free-aiming added... though I'll still probably get it just because it's Metroid Prime, & Metroid Prime was awesome.

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I felt that the pointer aiming in Trilogy really added to the immersiveness.  In the original Prime 1 & 2, you needed to hold down a button to look up & down, but with the Pointer, you could just do it, & could take in all the details that the level designers added.  I also liked how if you wanted, you didn't need to rely on the lock-on & could just take out a War Wasp nest with a casual missile shot from the other side of the room.

But if the Switch controls really are unsuited to such a control scheme, then IMO a Switch port of Trilogy with traditional controls will loose that unique feeling that the free-aiming added... though I'll still probably get it just because it's Metroid Prime, & Metroid Prime was awesome.

Never played it on the Wii, but did on the cube.  If it's as good as that I'll be happy.

The addition of pointer controls improved the first two a billion times more than going HD on Switch will do. They were 60 FPS anyway, went widescreen on the Wii, and actually still look really great as games on that console. Redoing these games on Switch has not been top of my list to be honest. 

If they've got something working as well as the Splatoon controls do though,  I'm obviously in.

• Upvote 1

I think MP3 plays a bit too much like an ordinary FPS with free look. The first two had some of that RE4, Goldeneye, almost-rail-shooter presentation with those controlled sight lines. Sure you could peer around more easily in MP3, but I liked having to stop to take things in.

But the trend is to whittle all games down to the same dual-stick control scheme so no doubt it will control like every FPS since Halo and every third person game since Gears in handheld or docked mode as the default.