NEG

Who here doesn't care about the Switch and why?

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I’ve not played an FPS with them - are there any worth playing on the Switch?

I tried Paladins and Fortnite and whilst I'm terrible at both I found aiming easier on the Xbox versions.

Honestly @ZOK, give it a try - it's glorious. Don't let the exterior fool you, the level some of the players get to is mental.

It's got [equivalents of] shotguns, sniper rifles, pistols etc - it's all in there. I can't see how anyone can say they love stuff like Halo and MW2 etc and yet not even be prepared to try it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, rgraves said:

Honestly @ZOK, give it a try - it's glorious. Don't let the exterior fool you, the level some of the players get to is mental.

It's got [equivalents of] shotguns, sniper rifles, pistols etc - it's all in there. I can't see how anyone can say they love stuff like Halo and MW2 etc and yet not even be prepared to try it.

It is nothing like either of them, and it’s a third person shooter, not a first person shooter.

I’ve watched people playing it, I’m not interested in trying it.

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I know you don't.

I’m waiting.  What’s your point? Given that your not telling me I don’t think you have one. 

5 minutes ago, ZOK said:

It is nothing like either of them, and it’s a third person shooter, not a first person shooter.

I’ve watched people playing it, I’m not interested in trying it.

I think it's a lot more like them than you think it is - especially ranked modes like Tower Control and Splat Zones.

I think you'd like it if you gave it a chance, but your call - I can't force you or anything.

Spoiler

I will force you. Don't turn off your lights. I'll be there. Waiting. In the ink.

Having both a Switch & a PS4 I find i tend to get really into one for an extended period of time while the other sits unused.  This is good though, as it means that when I'm burned out on Just Cause 3 I have Pokemon, & when I tire of Mario Odyssey I have Spider-Man.

Would it be nice to have all these things on the same console?  Yes, but i got used to that back in the N64 days.  I have a Nintendo console for Nintendo games, & a Sony console for everything else. 

I will admit though, that the Switch becoming something of an Indie Darling rather caught me off guard, but the added factor of portability tends to swing it for Switch when it comes to games like Golf Story, Owlboy & Hollow Knight.  Nintendo also does seem to have recently learned the meaning of the word 'sale' so if I do hesitate on a game, it does become more attractive later.

I haven't turned my switch on since i got back from holiday in August. I'd sell it but I'm holding out for a proper Animal Crossing. It's not that I dislike it as a console, it's more a case that the handheld aspect is totally wasted on me. I drive to work, hardly ever use public transport and don't have to share my TV much so Xbox with friends wins other Switch alone every time. 

Also, the joycons make my hands hurt after about 30 minutes. Pro controller is brilliant though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SimonC said:

I haven't turned my switch on since i got back from holiday in August. I'd sell it but I'm holding out for a proper Animal Crossing. It's not that I dislike it as a console, it's more a case that the handheld aspect is totally wasted on me. I drive to work, hardly ever use public transport and don't have to share my TV much so Xbox with friends wins other Switch alone every time. 

Also, the joycons make my hands hurt after about 30 minutes. Pro controller is brilliant though.

I was all set to post that you have no soul etc, but then you wrote that :wub:

32 minutes ago, simms said:

I’m waiting.  What’s your point? Given that your not telling me I don’t think you have one. 

I have told you, but in good faith and to give you the benefit of the doubt I'll explain again.

Your own opinion of Switch does not back up your point that Nintendo need to do something to maintain momentum, which is almost word for word what you said. Not only have they maintained momentum they've increased it. That's why I made my point about sales. 

I’ve only played Captain Toad as something new to me this year (never owned it on the Wii U). Otherwise it’s been playing more Mario Kart 7 and Splatoon 2 online, Cave Story+, a few Neo Geo games. There isn’t anything majorly new this year for me on the Switch as a Wii U owner, as the first-party games are all Wii U ports or stuff I’m not interested in rather than the big-hitters, TBH.

No interest, sounded like a good idea at the beginning then was ruined by too many features that make the thing sound very unfocused in design. Waaay too expensive in price and extremely limited selection of games. I’d have thought that Nintendo would have put more effort into getting original third party content on board or at least increase their own output. But unless you’re into another, Mario, another Mario Kart, another Smash Bros, another Mario Party, another Kirby platformer (yawn, yawn and yawn again) it’s basically a very expensive and uninspiring device. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

19 hours ago, scottcr said:

Rarely has a post been so wrong

Hold on, some fella wants you to hold his pint....

5 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

No interest, sounded like a good idea at the beginning then was ruined by too many features that make the thing sound very unfocused in design. Waaay too expensive in price and extremely limited selection of games. I’d have thought that Nintendo would have put more effort into getting original third party content on board or at least increase their own output. But unless you’re into another, Mario, another Mario Kart, another Smash Bros, another Mario Party, another Kirby platformer (yawn, yawn and yawn again) it’s basically a very expensive and uninspiring device. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, TehStu said:

Faith in restored is a weird way to put it. You're not incorrect if you love, or hate, or anything in between, the Switch. 

Having said that, if you haven't seen the criticism, I do think way too much Switch discussion is buried in a few mega threads, which is a shame.

It was just a jokey comment Stu, don’t read too much into it!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Arms, Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveller, Pokemon, RPG Maker, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Skyrim on the go, Sonic Mania, Ys, Disgaea, Civ 6, Starlink.

Nothing there that tickles your fancy at all?

30 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Rarely has a post been even more wrong than another post that was an example of extreme rare wrongness 

For me the Switch had a great 2017.  There was a relatively dry spell at the beginning of 2018, but from spring onwards it has been fantastic.  40 physical games now, and about 30 downloaded ones.

16 minutes ago, I say said:

Arms, Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveller, Pokemon, RPG Maker, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Skyrim on the go, Sonic Mania, Ys, Disgaea, Civ 6, Starlink.

Nothing there that tickles your fancy at all?

Skyrim? Xbone already has the definitive console version and got sonic on that too. 

Another Civ game, Dynasty warriors with Zelda skin, a few jrpgs. 

As as I said very uninspiring.

I have Skyrim on the Bone too, but I love having a portable version.

It does sound like the Switch isn't really your thing then.  For me it's a better companion to the PS4 than the Bone, with more exclusives, if you ignore driving games.

Can you play that on a train? I think it just depends on your use case, doesn't it. Currently, I'm more likely to get a second Switch than a 4K TV and a Pro or X. Were mobility less of a concern, then yeah, anchoring yourself to VR makes more sense.