Comrade

Recommend Me An Emulation Box

So I was considering giving myself a Christmas present, and the idea of a good emulation box really appeals to me. I had a Yod@box back in the day (still do, somewhere) and I loved it, and having avoided the NES and SNES classics because of their limited libraries I’d like an all-in-one device.

But it seems like there are a lot of options. My initial thought was a Raspberry Pi, but it seems like they’re not that powerful and therefore can’t do much beyond 16 bit systems. I saw someone mention the Nvidia Shield, which seems like it might be a good idea - but I know it has the same chip as the Switch, which was recently hacked. Maybe the Switch would work, as I already own one and it’s also portable. But then I’d worry about Nintendo banning me online or even worse. Maybe it would be worth buying a whole new Switch for that if I can get a cheap one somehow? Also there’s a bunch of older systems which can be hacked into emulation boxes.

Anyway, what would people recommend?

A small PC is your best bet if you can afford it. Pi3 is brilliant but a bit of a faff to get up and running plus you need to factor in the cost of sd cards and maybe a keyboard. Wii could be the best option, that’s a piece of piss to set up and you’ve likely already got one? 

It's super easy, barely an inconvenience to find pre made SD card images of Retropi or Recalbox for any card size with thousands of roms on if you are an ARCADEPUNK.... ;)

• Upvote 3

I use an old PC with a HDMI out video card. Plug it into the TV and installed the PC version of Coinops. Works a treat and currently emulates the arcade, NES, SNES, MD, Master System, Amiga, C64, PC Engine, Gamboy, Gameboy Color and a couple of others. 

Incredibly easy to setup. In fact, you can run it simply as it is.

A Wii can be picked up very cheaply from Cash Covertor style places, and makes a great machine for up to the 16 bit era.  Very easy to mod.  Wii classic controller is comfy and wireless.

SNES Mini and a usb stick.

Everything from the beginning to the PS1 and even some PSP, arcades from day 1 to CPS3. I hear it may even be running Amiga and NAOMI these days!

On 09/11/2018 at 08:45, Goose said:

I use an old PC with a HDMI out video card. Plug it into the TV and installed the PC version of Coinops. Works a treat and currently emulates the arcade, NES, SNES, MD, Master System, Amiga, C64, PC Engine, Gamboy, Gameboy Color and a couple of others. 

Incredibly easy to setup. In fact, you can run it simply as it is.

How old a PC are we talking here? I'm contemplating using my PC, which doesn't get used a lot these days, as an emulation box but, before I start hunting everything down, I was to make sure it's actually capable of emulating everything up to the 16 bit generation.

The basic specs are: 1.8ghz dual core processor, 7600GT gfx card, running Windows 7.

In my limited experience the Wii isn't very good for arcade games. Neo Geo doesn't run very well. I've gone back to my modded Xbox, played through an ossc is pretty good. 

We have an Nvidia Shield TV under our telly in the lounge. It does everything for us!

*Netflix/BBC/Movie rentals etc

*Spotify/Music for the lounge 

*Emulation (good for everything up to and including GC/Dreamcast era. Struggles beyond that.)

*Basic android gaming for my daughter (Lego games and stuff)

*Gamestream from my PC in the study onto the telly. Pretty flawless.

*Bits of web browsing on Chrome

And it's just a tiny wee box with both a nice controller (for gaming) and a remote control that my family are happy to use for the telly/movie stuff.

I just set up a Retropie this weekend. Raspberry Pi 3 B+, a case that looks just like a SNES mini, and I also treated myself to an 8Bitdo SNES controller, not that it's necessary.

I'm still sorting it out, but it was easy to put together and get started. A little bit of problem-solving and googling, but that's all part of the fun. I have yet to sort out the RetroArch settings for each system, and yet to test out whether the input lag is tolerable on various controllers. But so far so good.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. But despite the fact that no one mentioned it, I think I’m going to try hacking my Switch. I saw some YouTube videos and it seems relatively easy, and the allure of being able to play handheld and on a screen is too large.

Still, I appreciate everyone helping.

• Upvote 1