rllmuk
Lorfarius

Dave Perry is back...

5 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

I think Dave is missing the point of how YouTubers are successful. Create lots of content, doesn’t matter about the “professional quality”.

Spending weeks to script, professionally film and edit a video isn’t going to build up his views and followers through YouTube’s algorithms (although to be fair he’s done well so far using “traditional” means of raising awareness - like speaking with the press or having models in bikinis... Max Clifford would be proud.)

Yet here we all are, waiting with baited breath....

20 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

I think Dave is missing the point of how YouTubers are successful. Create lots of content, doesn’t matter about the “professional quality”.

Spending weeks to script, professionally film and edit a video isn’t going to build up his views and followers through YouTube’s algorithms (although to be fair he’s done well so far using “traditional” means of raising awareness - like speaking with the press or having models in bikinis... Max Clifford would be proud.)

Exactly.  It's so strange he's done this huge press push with next to nothing to show about it, almost 2 months later and still zero content.  I remember several years ago when Kotaku included a Brutal Sports Football video I'd done in an article, felt a bit like winning the lottery at the time as 8000 people came to watch it in full in just a single day! Most of my vids are lucky to get 200 views in a month so its a huge difference :lol:  But I spent ages rejigging my most popular vids to appear as suggested, reposting on social media etc. Trying to build something off it and producing loads of videos in following few weeks.  I'd take any boost I could get, he's had a massive boost and just whittled it all away.

16 hours ago, Droo said:

Yet here we all are, waiting with baited breath....

Well, baited in the sense that it'll appear in my youtube subscriptions and I click on the thread if someone else bumps it.

On 06/11/2018 at 12:45, Lorfarius said:

Here's the other side of it:

That's a podcast from 2009 mind.  Or a good article about it all here with words from both:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-04-gamesmaster-the-inside-story

Grabbing Kylie’s bum aside, I’ve always loved Dominik Diamond. He’s a perennial raconteur and a great entertainer, although he does seem to make a habit of falling out with people. For whatever the reasons behind it, it’s a shame he didn’t continue to appear on U.K. TV. 

The Dave Perry video - I had to go to another room, away from other people, to watch it. Very embarrassing, badly misjudged. 

• Upvote 2

Dave Perry has been busy filming for Jeremy Kyle. He is obviously still sulking about his Mario 64 defeat, and his hair totally explains why he always wears a bandana.

14 hours ago, Vimster said:

Don't underestimate the difficulty he's having trying to top that song at the end of the first one. Up and down, up and down.

A proper shudder. 

On 09/02/2019 at 14:23, Lorfarius said:

Nearly a month later and still no episode 2. Must have given up :lol:

Yeah it's a bit odd isn't it, you would think he has given up almost, certainly not a good way to run a channel unless you make top quality content.

Matthewmatosis is one YouTube that does have long gaps between videos, but his videos on the design of games are excellent: https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthewmatosis

Sadly Dave's videos aren't quite to that quality just yet.

He doesn't actually have a detectable sense of humour. Just as if anyone wanted to see his box of tat. I frame-skipped through the vid to see if he'd stuck a Mario 64 at the bottom.

That would've been funny.

So far, we have one too short, boring video and now we have a too long, boring video. 

Up and down etc. (everyone blatantly fucking knows that song belongs on the Final Furlong challenge video off of Gamesmaster).

• Upvote 1

Seriously, I really don't want to have to take the easy route and have a go, but... simply boring. As mentioned he has no sense of humour. He seems genuinely bemused by the backlash against the last video, almost despairingly so. He then wearily launches into his box of stuff. I did skip through the video to see if he'd maybe incorporated any other segments into the video but no, it's pretty much all box. Poor attempt to revive the song at the end. He really could benefit from a lot more pre-planning, tightening-up of the presentation, and maybe checking out the competition. right now it feels like it's fallen between two stools: off-the-cuff personal vlog and actual production. Choose one, Dave.

On 20/02/2019 at 22:35, Vimster said:

Just a tip: don't watch this wearing headphones. The sound mix is very odd.

recorded in his bathroom? (reverb-tastic!)

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

recorded in his bathroom? (reverb-tastic!)

It sounds like they keep moving the mics about so when they cut it you get this shifting reverb all over the place. He needs a decent clip mic.

I watched the second video last night, and it seemed... sad? Like watching an old man going through an album of his glory years, with a look of nostalgia for when life was still good. A bit more variety and an actual clue as to how to make something that didn’t look and sound painful, and it wouldn’t be nearly as bad.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, dumpster said:

This is a bit upsetting. Equal parts David Brent ("I used to be on the TV, does anyone remember?"), Alan Partridge ("here's me with Dani Behr, heres the time I took Denise Van Outen to a cracking owl sanctuary ”) and its easy to watch this and knock it. Crappy video quality, awful sound mix, questionable content (does anyone care about the shooting schedule of a GamesMaster episode?).  But none of that is what makes me feel sad.  I'm almost at the end of the episode and it's making me think about something that will happen to us all... 

Everyone has their life story and experiences that define them. Some people live an ordinary life, some of us reach Tom Cruise levels of fame and live a life that regular people only dream of. Then there's this weird middle ground. Imagine actually being Dave Perry.  The Games Animal. Being flown around the world to represent the UK, being the best at something. Having a life that is envied by others, meeting Dani Behr, sharing a beer with Denise Van Outen, catching a train with Peter Purvis who was at the height of his Blue Peter fame.  Then, unlike Tom Cruise, that time passes and before you know it you're needing to earn money, but you can't go to work at Asda because you're Dave Perry, the Games Animal.

It will come to us all, we'll have our lives, our stories, but we'll get older and there could be a time when everything we've achieved is just a footnote in history that the next generations don't really care about. We die, unknown to most of the world, forgotten. How can you live a normal life, working in a normal job, spending every day thinking, "it wasn't supposed to end up like this, I was the Games Animal!"

He had a normal job at the time, working for Special Reserve. Not sure if it was the same one he described as a "marketing manager" during his strop but I'm sure the vignettes described here are simply fleeting perks that have become part of the image that he concocted, instead of his day-to-day life. Which is probably a bit sadder, now that I think about it.

As for working a "normal" job now, at least he's his own boss and appears to be doing something he has some enthusiasm for. YouTube videos aside, maybe he's happy?

• Upvote 1