Digitiser:The Show: Episode 5 out now!

17 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I wonder, with the runtime stubbornly reaching the 40-45 minute mark, if there are aspirations to take the format to television, eg. Dave.

I doubt even Insincere Dave could muster up much enthusiasm for this steaming turd, never mind the TV channel.

18 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I wonder, with the runtime stubbornly reaching the 40-45 minute mark, if there are aspirations to take the format to television, eg. Dave.

Nope.

Mr Biffo told backers that he was approached by a company who had a view to taking the thing to TV, but ultimately, he didn't want to lose all that creative control.

You did get that backer email, didn't you?

I haven't seen ep 3 yet but Steve's said elsewhere that Go 8-Bit DLC has a lot of the concept they weren't allowed to use in the main show.

And tbh, I'd rather see them make more of that than the main show. I bet it could be done for YouTube budgets.

15 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

On other thing: Does Paul Gannon actually have a colostomy bag or was this recurring reference another “LOL POO” joke with added “LOL DISABLED” thrown in for good measure?

Labouring the point a bit now.

• Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

What point is that? I was pretty positive about ep3.

No idea why some in this thread can’t stand a shred of fucking criticism of their beloved biffo. I’m examining it like any game or tv show gets discussed on this board. And going into this I’d considered myself a huge biffo fan. The quality of the show has disappointed me but the reaction of his sycophants has killed my support stone dead. It’s been enlightening.

A hive of sychopants! I think it'll be quite the task to revise this thread as anything other than critical of the show. :lol: You're just getting digged at too, a bit.

As someone who watches any old shite and having watched the first three episodes, IMO it’s HORRIBLE and not remotely funny or entertaining in a retro way. I don’t know anything about this biffo character but he comes across as a bit smug and full of himself with a presenting style that is not suited for any sort of video media. 

One guest spot a week and they thank him by getting his name wrong (ep 3), what a clusterf...

Send TheGaffer round to help with their scripts , cos his ‘axe to grind(mouse) gag was better crafted than anything i’ve seen in 3 episodes.

I’ll get back under the parapet now.

• Upvote 1

I habitually watch YouTube things right through without skipping around but I can't get through an episode of this.

I thought it was kind of all over the place because Biffo is aiming squarely at his dedicated fans, but if even they're not keen on it, who is it for?

You could tangibly improve it just by editing out Paul Gannon's feeble comebacks. Excruciating stuff.

But yeah, perhaps it'll get better in time. Even Consolevania was pretty hit or miss for a long time (e.g. the video they posted a while back that was their successful(!) pitch to get VideoGaiden commissioned - yiiikes).

Yeah, he says in the notes they're deliberately loosely editing because it's the style they want but those bits leave me cold too.

I'm still mostly enjoying show and tell and through my flaps.

I'm not sure what I think of the end of episode 3, it seems the kind of thing that'd reduce you to tears if it was your mates but when I don't really know any of them it just doesn't land the same way. Although I was laughing at the end so who knows.

Like I played Overcooked with some chums this weekend and it ended, with it descending into farce and someone being forced to utter the line "I'm not sure the kitchen can get any more on fire".  I'm in tears at this point but I wouldn't stick it out on the internet and expect someone else to have that reaction.

On 28/11/2018 at 09:49, Dudley said:

I haven't seen ep 3 yet but Steve's said elsewhere that Go 8-Bit DLC has a lot of the concept they weren't allowed to use in the main show.

And tbh, I'd rather see them make more of that than the main show. I bet it could be done for YouTube budgets.

I was gutted the DLC was dropped from the last series, it was good. 

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I was gutted the DLC was dropped from the last series, it was good. 

It wasn't dropped as such.  They filmed the main show's s2 and 3 at the same time as the 1 series of DLC.

But yeah, I'm hopeful that could make a come back on its own, it wouldn't require too much.  They'd have to call it something different though since the actual rights to Go 8-bit reside with Dave.

22 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I’m flattered. Sigh.

It’s just a bit fucking creepy and intimidating that I was supportive of the show and my first reply to the thread was trying to be positive and give constructive feedback, similar to the feedback I gave about early consolevania, when lots of people were just being hateful and calling the show shit... and yet I’ve somehow been singled out in this thread by people close to biffo because I suggested fixing some editing issues. Like... fuck off. Some guy wrote a scathing review of my phone game on the Play store, ZOK trashed the control scheme. Both are fine by me, people are entitled to have an opinion and they may be right.

I've got some sympathy with Biffo on this issue.  Of course it's fine for anyone not to like something, and to say so.  But, often, if you choose to make something that's a little bit different from the norm, you end up getting criticism from people pointing out how exactly it's different from the norm, as if you've somehow made a mistake, and that specific type of criticism can be really wearying - much more so than someone saying they hate what you've made.

We've had it a lot with some games we've made, where we deliberately deviated from genre conventions, and then get endless people pointing out that we haven't followed the genre conventions.  I mean, it's fine that you hate the fact that we didn't follow the genre convention, and you think we've made a rubbish game, but don't point it out to us as if we didn't realise what we'd done.

Biffo said quite a few times in the making of the show that he deliberately didn't want to make it feel like a slick tv show, but instead wanted to keep the ramshackle feel of the filming, and that he deliberately chose to keep some of the pauses and mistakes and stumbles in the editing.  Again, it's fine not to like that, and think the show is rubbish. But to want to 'fix' the editing, by making it feel like a slick tv show, when it was deliberately designed not to be that, seems a bit weird.

• Upvote 5
10 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I've got some sympathy with Biffo on this issue.  Of course it's fine for anyone not to like something, and to say so.  But, often, if you choose to make something that's a little bit different from the norm, you end up getting criticism from people pointing out how exactly it's different from the norm, as if you've somehow made a mistake, and that specific type of criticism can be really wearying - much more so than someone saying they hate what you've made.

We've had it a lot with some games we've made, where we deliberately deviated from genre conventions, and then get endless people pointing out that we haven't followed the genre conventions.  I mean, it's fine that you hate the fact that we didn't follow the genre convention, and you think we've made a rubbish game, but don't point it out to us as if we didn't realise what we'd done.

Biffo said quite a few times in the making of the show that he deliberately didn't want to make it feel like a slick tv show, but instead wanted to keep the ramshackle feel of the filming, and that he deliberately chose to keep some of the pauses and mistakes and stumbles in the editing.  Again, it's fine not to like that, and think the show is rubbish. But to want to 'fix' the editing, by making it feel like a slick tv show, when it was deliberately designed not to be that, seems a bit weird.

Did Grindmouse use the word slick? Slick somehow sounds corporate. Souless. Bad. Kinda sounded like Grindmouse wanted to make it good, rather than slick because it's a hell of a brave move if Biffa deliberately set out to make a show that wasn't good. And it's not like GM was talking about writing his own jokes and putting them in. Just cutting out some wasted air time, which sounds fair enough in this crazy modern world.

Then again I'm of the opinion most TV shows should be no longer that 22 minutes. And no movie ever should be longer than 80 minutes.

• Upvote 3

I think this has been getting progressively better. I am finding myself looking forward to new episodes, which I wasn't so much at the start. Possibly just because I was scared it was going to be terrible. 

I think they have got the "ramshackle" tone pretty spot-on in terms of fitting the Digi image. Even Biffo's appearance as a surreal combination of dandy and tramp is well-judged. 

It definitely wouldn't benefit from being any more slick. 

• Upvote 1

I have only watched episode one and I didn't enjoy it. I love some of Biffo's writing and when he wrote for Edge, his was always the first page I read.

Sadly episode one didn't entertain me in the slightest. I thought it was poorly written and simply not funny - I didn't laugh once. The duck hunt at the end was just embarrassing to watch and just looked like the filming of a really crap stag do game. I wish Biffo all the very best, but I won't be watching any more episodes.

• Upvote 1