Wireframe - a new gaming magazine (yes, on real paper)

ianinthefuture

2 hours ago, memories said:

@ianinthefuture if a sub was started today would you get the above issue or would it start from the next one?

It would start from your choice of issue 51, 52, or 53. Too late to start from this issue, unfortunately - not 100% clear as to why, but I think it's just how we have stuff printed/sorted/delivered.

Quick heads up to subscribers. I was a day one subscriber and love the mag but I didn’t receive my copy for a couple of months during the first lockdown. I assumed it was because our local sorting office was backlogged due to COVID related staff shortages as other mail was taking weeks.  

After a while I emailed to see what was up. Turns out one of my payments failed unbeknownst to me so they cancelled my subscription! 

By that time I was missing a couple of issues and my perfect collection ruined. 

So if you miss an issue, chase it quick. 

Did you guys cut the number of issues printed?

For the last 6 months, every store I've been in (Lincolnshire) has had multiple copies. You guys were seemingly everywhere, every petrol station, every corner shop off-license, all over the place. I never bought any because they didn't appeal at that time. This specific issue does appeal though. But today, the one day I wanted a copy, and it was no longer at my local Smiths. Then on my way home, somewhat dejected, I stopped at every magazine selling store which I passed (4), and none of them had it. But they all - ALL! - had the new Play magazine by Future.

@ianinthefuture - the consistently wonky nature of reality means I don't really feel disappointment any more, it's more like a constant numbness or background noise. Today though that threshold was breached, and I can safely say that I am. :coffee:

31 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Did you guys cut the number of issues printed?

For the last 6 months, every store I've been in (Lincolnshire) has had multiple copies. You guys were seemingly everywhere, every petrol station, every corner shop off-license, all over the place. I never bought any because they didn't appeal at that time. This specific issue does appeal though. But today, the one day I wanted a copy, and it was no longer at my local Smiths. Then on my way home, somewhat dejected, I stopped at every magazine selling store which I passed (4), and none of them had it. But they all - ALL! - had the new Play magazine by Future.

@ianinthefuture - the consistently wonky nature of reality means I don't really feel disappointment any more, it's more like a constant numbness or background noise. Today though that threshold was breached, and I can safely say that I am. :coffee:

I've just checked and the newsstand order (i.e. how many copies are printed for sending to shops) is exactly the same as it has been for an age, so... no idea, basically. Last time there was a significant shift in newsstand was during the first lockdown, for obvious reasons.

You can buy it through the link above, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, TehStu said:

This sounds ace, grabbed the PDF but think I'll need the actually book

Thanks for the heads up, ordered the book. I've read quite a few retro books but never anything that tried to cover as many different pieces of hardware in one go.

I like the fact that it focuses on the computers that made an impact in the UK but not just British hardware.

I didn't bother with the PDF as I don't want any spoilers as to what happened during the 80s! 😁

Oh it's so good so far.

Spoiler

There's a little run in between the head of Commodore and Bill Gates, re Basic for the PET, which seems to have led to Gates insisting on the licensing model with IBM and the rest is history.

2 hours ago, cubik said:

I like the fact that it focuses on the computers that made an impact in the UK but not just British hardware.

Genuinely had more than a handful of emails complaining about that fact, waheyyyyy

Thanks all, appreciate that a) something I forgot I'd set up to go out on Twitter worked, and b) people dig it

The section on the BBC Micro is a delight, I knew absolutely none of this. As a Spectrum owner, I somehow missed the whole Computer Literacy Project, although my primary school did have a couple of BBC Bs.

This is giving me the mental kick up the arse I needed to get the kids in front of the Pi again.

Edit - holy shit:

Spoiler

Then there was the Tube, an ingenious way to hook up a second processor. You could even add a module that would allow you to run CP/M on a Zilog Z80 chip, but Wilson dismisses this as ‘one of the worst options! The 6502 processor and later the ARM second processor did better. Elite even had a second processor mode with more features and a higher resolution.’

(hope it's OK that I'm quoting bits of the book)

9 hours ago, TehStu said:

Hide contents

(hope it's OK that I'm quoting bits of the book)

Yep - everything's creative commons anyway, free to be quoted/used as people see fit.

(As long as it's correctly attributed and not done for money)

20 hours ago, TehStu said:

This sounds ace, grabbed the PDF but think I'll need the actually book

Thanks for the heads up on this, I'd not heard about it at all. Ordered a copy. Weird it's not mentioned on the foundations website anywhere. That I could see at least.

The book turned up today, looks like it'll be a good read.

Just need to finish the one I'm reading which I bought ages ago but only just got round to (The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pounds) and I'll be on it.

I finished it last night, the section on the Archimedes was best and glad it was left until last. I've only ever seen one in the flesh, I think an A3000, while visiting another school once as a kid. The genesis of the Arm stuff was such a good read.

Probably should have made a thread about this book in the retro folder :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...