Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Yep.

it was always going to happen. 20% of price & postage

The machine at 189 dollars is still a bargain, im thinking of getting a spare!

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone any experience of the new 1.1 game adaptors? I only want them for the Game Gear adaptor really, and was wondering how it looks?

How much did it end up costing you into the UK in the end?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

Has anyone any experience of the new 1.1 game adaptors? I only want them for the Game Gear adaptor really, and was wondering how it looks?

How much did it end up costing you into the UK in the end?

Cheers.

the answers are on this page , scroll up 

Ok, yeah so we get screwed as usual, but I suppose you have to pay it if you want it unless someone is selling individually on Ebay in the UK.

Anyone who has one any impressions of the 1.1 adaptor, look good? Mega SG still working?

43 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Ok, yeah so we get screwed as usual, but I suppose you have to pay it if you want it unless someone is selling individually on Ebay in the UK.

Anyone who has one any impressions of the 1.1 adaptor, look good? Mega SG still working?

Yes I have one. They released 1.1 to fix the older issue with knackered consoles and after using mine for ages it's all still good. Games look amazing and as good as you should expect.

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Yes I have one. They released 1.1 to fix the older issue with knackered consoles and after using mine for ages it's all still good. Games look amazing and as good as you should expect.

Thanks for the impressions. I will order them I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would ask before I do it. Are there any disadvantages to jail breaking the Mega SG? Any major things that it can not do with just stock firmware and a Everdrive or normal cartridges?

18 minutes ago, Sumire said:

I thought I would ask before I do it. Are there any disadvantages to jail breaking the Mega SG? Any major things that it can not do with just stock firmware and a Everdrive or normal cartridges?

You’ll be fine - I’ve jailbroken mine and it’s the same except it now has a file browser to access the ROMs on the SD card. As I understand it, it’s generally accepted that the jailbreaks are made by Kevtris - the same guy who provides Analogue with the standard firmware for their consoles. Just he releases them anonymously through Smoke Monster.

22 minutes ago, Zio said:

You’ll be fine - I’ve jailbroken mine and it’s the same except it now has a file browser to access the ROMs on the SD card. As I understand it, it’s generally accepted that the jailbreaks are made by Kevtris - the same guy who provides Analogue with the standard firmware for their consoles. Just he releases them anonymously through Smoke Monster.

Ok, cool, thanks.

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

Ok, cool, thanks.

I've updated mine several times and only had a problem once. It never bricks your console and can easily be restarted if something goes wrong. I had issues with dodgy SD cards.

2 hours ago, Sumire said:

Yeah, they're literally the official firmware++ even from a UX perspective, it feels like the more fully featured firmware. Highly recommended! 

You lose nothing, you gain the ability to run ROMs off an SG card for MD, MS, GG and SG1000 cores and if for some reason you dislike it, just install the official firmware back on again. 

I wish the jailbreak firmware had Save State support - as it works at the system level, it could preserve both the 68000 and Z80 contents, and avoid the loss-of-music problems that other save state solutions have. Sounds like the people behind it aren't fans, though - I remember SmokeMonster pedalling tiresome Git Gud stuff on Twitter last year.

It's not a question of "gitting gud", it's a question of actually having enough minutes in a row to play through something like Streets of Rage 2 in one sitting.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

I wish the jailbreak firmware had Save State support - as it works at the system level, it could preserve both the 68000 and Z80 contents, and avoid the loss-of-music problems that other save state solutions have. Sounds like the people behind it aren't fans, though - I remember SmokeMonster pedalling tiresome Git Gud stuff on Twitter last year.

It's not a question of "gitting gud", it's a question of actually having enough minutes in a row to play through something like Streets of Rage 2 in one sitting.

Perfect, emulation-style save states on (effectively) real hardware probably just isn't possible, unfortunately. Krikzz has to say this to enquiring minds on twitter all the time.

I find SM's elitism / posturing tiring at times myself. 

24 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

Perfect, emulation-style save states on (effectively) real hardware probably just isn't possible, unfortunately. Krikzz has to say this to enquiring minds on twitter all the time.

Krikzz's Everdrives can only do what a cartridge can do, though. I would have thought that working at the system level like the Mega SG firmware does would give more options, but perhaps I'm being naive.

4 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

you can still save the game though, if the cart originally could even when using a rom

8 minutes ago, ulala said:

you can still save the game though, if the cart originally could even when using a rom

Well, obviously. But there are plenty of unsavable games (with no passwords) which take longer to beat than the 30 minutes or so I usually have in the evenings for gaming. Instead I find myself going on GameFAQs to look for ancient level select cheatcodes.

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Krikzz's Everdrives can only do what a cartridge can do, though. I would have thought that working at the system level like the Mega SG firmware does would give more options, but perhaps I'm being naive.

Yeah they have control of the entire architecture so I would expect it to be possible too.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Yeah they have control of the entire architecture so I would expect it to be possible too.

Not without additional hardware and a redesign, I personally would've thought. Perhaps something for a Mega SG Mk II down the line?

On a related note, I understand that the GBA MiSTer FPGA core has save state functionality, made viable because of the way it interacts with other parts of the hardware (i.e. the Arm CPU side of its FPGA chip). Perhaps @shiffy could elaborate, I'm only paraphrasing something I once read and only half understood.

Installed now. Been through all the cores and set all the aspec ratios and sound for each one. To be honest I am not that bothered about the save state thing as I tend to set a chunck of time aside for retro gaming sessions anyway.

19 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Not without additional hardware and a redesign, I personally would've thought. Perhaps something for a Mega SG Mk II down the line?

On a related note, I understand that the GBA MiSTer FPGA core has save state functionality, made viable because of the way it interacts with other parts of the hardware (i.e. the Arm CPU side of its FPGA chip). Perhaps @shiffy could elaborate, I'm only paraphrasing something I once read and only half understood.

Hi spanky debrest. Yes, the GBA core does have save states (not a feature I've ever used). The "MiSTer Framework" is built into every core and it's this framework that communicates with the Linux / Arm side of things. It's Linux that handles all of the menus, OSD, reading & writing to SD storage. sending inputs to the FPGA,etc.

When the MiSTer menu is pulled up & save state is selected the framework pauses the core for 5ms,  reads & then saves the important core memory & registers to a location in the DDR ram. The framework then saves this information and writes it to a file on the SD card.  My understanding is the audio state & drawing state are not saved so can result in graphical & audio glitches upon loading of the save state. From my limited understanding that's how it works on the MiSTer.

The GBA core was written & designed to have save states. To implement save states in other cores, this would apply to Analogue's machines as well, it would take a significant rewrite of the core's code by someone who is very familiar with the core.

I have this quote from the author of the GBA core which explains it better than I can. I hope this clarifies things a little.

1.png

• 3 weeks later...

I got my adapters for this. I got the FedEx letter about a week later for the £21.00 or thereabouts. I think about £11.00 was a handling charge from FedEx. I basically just rang up to pay the bill and said I will pay, but not the fee that they add on and they just said fair enough and charged me the import duties and thats it. I will say, when I did ring up to try and pay via the phone, it was pretty hard to actually get through to someone, no doubt to make it harder not to pay the fee.

By the way, has anyone got the Analogue DAC?  and if so, what do you think of it?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to ordering one of these, I've got a Japanese MD with an Everdrive that I can hook up to my old B & O Beovision 1 in my 'office' and despite having the option to connect it to the Main TV with a framemeister I kind of never do.

Very excited to have this easy setup and got 2 8bitdo 2.4 ghz pads with receivers.

Heartbraking thing is the FedEx delivery had the correct address but the postcode of my billing address so I've hopefully got it rerouted correctly but up to that point it was in the Kidderminster nexus of error parcels :D