Sign in to follow this  
Cool Ben

Best WWII Movie

I watched band of brothers with my 13 year son over christmas last year and it was even better than i remember it. Being able to explain the context of each episode with my son was really special. 

But yeah, where eagles dare, just for the "Broadsword, calling danny boy" line alone. 

For something a bit different I like Meditarraneo. A bunch of Italian troops are guarding a non tactical Greek Island to spot enemy ships. Essentially sitting the war out in paradise. Until one day...

Some great films listed in here. 

If you want something a bit different, I'd go for The Train. Peerlessly clear-headed storytelling, an unusual setting - French engineers using their knowhow and risking their lives to prevent a train full of artwork being seized by the Nazis - proper old-school stunts, and a classically stoic tough-guy performance by Burt Lancaster.

I know it's sacrilegious to say so, but I don't like Bridge Over the River Kwai - I've read too many memoirs of former POWs who suffered whilst building that railway so I really struggle to get over the fact it's so overly sanitised, despite the pretty awesome performances featured in the film.

I'd probably have loved it if I saw it before I found an interest in that part of the war and researched it. 

I don't think I've seen a really good representation of the Thai-Burma railway atrocities - maybe The Railwayman with Colin Firth?  Anyone know any others worth watching?

If you finish Band of Brothers and you're feeling an excess of happiness, then The Pacific is much the same deal. It follows Marines fighting the Japanese over south pacific islands and, true to the subject matter, is unremittingly grim.

2 hours ago, ryanm said:

If you finish Band of Brothers and you're feeling an excess of happiness, then The Pacific is much the same deal. It follows Marines fighting the Japanese over south pacific islands and, true to the subject matter, is unremittingly grim.

On the surface it seems the same deal but not really close to the quality of storytelling or characters.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I know it's sacrilegious to say so, but I don't like Bridge Over the River Kwai - I've read too many memoirs of former POWs who suffered whilst building that railway so I really struggle to get over the fact it's so overly sanitised, despite the pretty awesome performances featured in the film.

That's really interesting to hear, though thankfully doesn't affect my appreciation of the artful storytelling, amazing performances and camera work. Though I guess in fairness the 'historical accuracy' metric should have a multiplier applied when considering the ranking of WWII themed films. 

• Upvote 1

The Clint Eastwood directed double bill Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima are also well worth a watch.  Two films dealing with the insanely ferocious Battle For Iwo Jima near the end of the Pacifc War, one  from the American side and the other the Japanese

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JimmytheMook said:

On the surface it seems the same deal but not really close to the quality of storytelling or characters.

Agree with this.  The Pacific is very good and absolutely worth watching, but it's not in the same league as Band of Brothers.  BoB is so good because of the characters, and how close they grow due to it focussing on one individual unit as opposed to The Pacific which has to move between 3 different main characters from different units and even different battles (Basilone, Leckie and Sledge).

8 minutes ago, Waggo said:

The Clint Eastwood directed double bill Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima are also well worth a watch.  Two films dealing with the insanely ferocious Battle For Iwo Jima near the end of the Pacifc War, one  from the American side and the other the Japanese

Great shout - really good films.