Sign in to follow this  
Tourist

Not sure if this is a joke...

I'm not sure that's a great example - the only thing irritating is the inclusion of galangal which is a pain to source. Seems a good recipe. Am I missing something?

On 09/10/2018 at 14:37, Tourist said:

This is a topic to post 'recipes' that are not recipes.

Eg.when a Sunday supplement has a two page spread to explain how to make a ham sandwich.

Let me start:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/oct/09/nigel-slater-vegetables-in-coconut-sauce-recipe

The recipe

Make a spice paste: peel a large banana shallot and place in the bowl of a food processor together with 2 peeled cloves of garlic, 50 cashews, 1 small, hot, red chilli, 2 tsp of ground turmeric, 20g of peeled ginger, 10g of galangal and 2 stalks of lemongrass. Process to a coarse paste with 1 tbsp of rice vinegar and enough groundnut or vegetable oil to make a coarse paste.

Keep the flavours fresh and bright – don’t cook the spice paste for more than a minute or two

Bring a deep pan of water to the boil. Scrub 300g of carrots. Cook the carrots in the water, lightly salted, then remove and drain. Trim 350g of green beans and cook in the boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes then drain and toss with the carrots.

Fry the spice paste in a wok or wide pan over a moderate heat for 2 minutes, moving it around the pan so it doesn’t scorch. Pour in 400ml of coconut milk, add 5 lime leaves, lightly crushed and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 4 or 5 minutes. Chop a good handful of coriander and stir into the sauce. Check the seasoning, adding salt as necessary.

Toss the vegetables in the sauce and let them heat briefly through, serving as soon as they are hot. Serves 2 with rice.

That's a lot more complicated than any ham sandwich I've ever made.

Unless you're baking the bread too.

To be fair, I read that recipe a couple of days ago, and thought it looked a bit - I dunno - odd. The picture makes it look very strange - just some veg with a sauce plonked on top - no incorporation at all, no accompaniment. I guess it's similar to asparagus with hollandaise plonked on top, but it still looks a little weird (and I speak as a veggie, so I'm not dissing the lack of meat or anything).

But then perhaps my favourite recipe tests the definition of the word to its limits. A recipe is a list of ingredients and processes to create something tasty. This is one ingredient and one process.

Ingredients: Grapes (any colour).

Process: Freeze them. 

Frozen grapes are magnificent. I don't think I've eaten an unfrozen one since I read about freezing them. Like little balls of grape sorbet. Nommo.

On 11/10/2018 at 15:38, Tourist said:

Guys come on. 

Put some sauce on some veg. 

Spaghetti al pomodoro is just putting some tomato sauce on some spaghetti but it's still a recipe.