rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

For £20 a month you could buy everything they release on the thing.

• Upvote 3

Yeah they need exclusives now and/or a proper competitive subscription to challenge PS Now, Apple Arcade, Xbox Game Pass and the like. I mean I just can’t see it ever taking off. 

Interesting to see general consensus on this slowly changing from "What a pile of crap, it will be dead within months" to "Hmm actually maybe there's something to this ..."

• Upvote 1

I've always seen that there's something to it, but Google seem to be going about it in a confusing way and in the end, it's about what games are on there and the price. I'm sure that will come but will it be too late?

On 30/04/2020 at 11:07, Hass said:

Just had a quick go on PUBG Stadia. Performance wise it's excellent , felt like a solid 60fp and a really good draw distance - so leaps and bounds better than the Xbox One X version which was really hamstrung by the CPU IIRC. No obvious latency in the single match I played either. Definitely quite a few bots present, I got 4 kills and I'm pretty sure they were all bots but hard to be sure. But it was actually nice from my perspective to get back into the game without the immediate sweat death.

I'm surprised how playable this is. Controls well and the framerate is miles better than the sub 30 fps on the Xbox One X. 

Any and every game I play on Stadia will have at least one problem per session. It's nearly always a temporary freeze or occassionally audio goes out of sync. This needs sorted as technically it's the only drawback I see so far.

15 hours ago, vezna said:

I'm surprised how playable this is. Controls well and the framerate is miles better than the sub 30 fps on the Xbox One X. 

Any and every game I play on Stadia will have at least one problem per session. It's nearly always a temporary freeze or occassionally audio goes out of sync. This needs sorted as technically it's the only drawback I see so far.

I find Chromecast over Ethernet gives a seamless experience whilst Chrome over Ethernet still has one or two glitches, plus differing hardware on the client side does make a difference. WiFi can be both amazing and awful, and that can be on the same WiFi network. 

But I'd highly recommend the Stadia Premier edition if you have the opportunity to get Ethernet into the Chromecast, plus the controller is excellent.

2 hours ago, Hass said:

I find Chromecast over Ethernet gives a seamless experience whilst Chrome over Ethernet still has one or two glitches, plus differing hardware on the client side does make a difference. WiFi can be both amazing and awful, and that can be on the same WiFi network. 

But I'd highly recommend the Stadia Premier edition if you have the opportunity to get Ethernet into the Chromecast, plus the controller is excellent.

I’m definitely interested in the Premier edition but there’s no way I can get Ethernet into the Chromecast. It’s just not feasible with my set up. I’ve only played Stadia on a MacBook but would be fascinated to see it on my LG OLED. The Xbox One X can look incredible on it with a few games. 

I just homeplugged mine up. I know it's more expense but they are handy in general. 

Interesting - I tried home plugs but got decidedly worse performance (more stutters and, I think though it’s hard to be completely sure, more input lag) than on WiFi. The router is roughly 2 metres away through an internal wall. God knows where the wiring goes...

Homeplugs are generally very good but it really depends on your wiring

8 hours ago, vezna said:

I’m definitely interested in the Premier edition but there’s no way I can get Ethernet into the Chromecast. It’s just not feasible with my set up. I’ve only played Stadia on a MacBook but would be fascinated to see it on my LG OLED. The Xbox One X can look incredible on it with a few games. 

I've got an LG OLED and it looks incredible. RDR2 and Doom Eternal are standouts for HDR.

Still not sure I'd recommend 4k on WiFi though unless you've got a mesh.

Couple of good deals for pro subscribers on at the moment:

Doom Eternal £37.49

Assassins Creed Odyssey £18.15

You can also use your controller wirelessly on your PC. 

They should really try to get the big F2P games on this, Fortnite, Warzone, etc. Getting rid of the need to update these games all the bloody time (especially Warzone!) and offering a way for kids to play them on otherwise underpowered kit would be a big win for these games that want maximum eyeballs for their business model.

I spent 3 hours with PUBG on this on Tuesday evening and it's an absolutely fantastic port. There's just no lag at all, it feels totally seamless. Destiny 2 was the previous standard bearer on the platform for low latency but PUBG trumps this now; D2 still felt "heavy" but PUBG just feels local. It's totally excellent. 

Have we got a list of stadia usernames yet? Mine is:

Mike1812 #7803

Do I need the #7803 on the end? Who knows?

PUBG played well for me for the 10 seconds per match I stayed alive!

4 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Mike1812 #7803

PUBG played well for me for the 10 seconds per match I stayed alive!

i'm sbrandon#5012, feel free to add me :)

I'm NelsonWillyJ. Feel free to add!

You can now play on mobile chrome browsers with your wireless controller if you go to the Stadia site and switch to desktop site in the three dots menu top right. Works great!

22 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Nope, unless you have a common username - like CookieMonster#6336 (add me)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

@Mike1812 @Hass @sbrandon111 friend requests sent :)

I take it that’s for non-iOS devices? I just get the normal “Haha sucks to be you” page from chrome on my phone. 

Just tried it on iPad, same result. I guess we’ll just need to wait for official iOS app support :(

I only tried it on my Android phone, didn't think about iOS being a bugger. Not sure why it wouldn't work though. 

I agree it's a bit odd - it's like the Google marketing folk think having Stadia only on Android phones will drive people that way, instead of it probably just driving people away from Stadia instead.

Well even on a non pixel (and I think samsung) phone you have to do the browser workaround. I'm on a OnePlus 6 and can't do it through the Stadia app. 

Could it be that when using the chrome app on iOS that it doesn’t give you a true desktop site? It expected me to install the Mac OS chrome browser.

It works on ny android phone using the workaround though :)

Quite possibly.  I don't understand why, if it works fine in a browser, don't Google enable it for everyone?

I'm vezna#1383. Still dabbling with the idea of getting the Premier edition but not likely to use homeplugs as the tv is wall mounted and it would be a little awkward to set up.

Just realised I should probably be pimping the thing I made for Stadia around a bit. Here's a game I knocked up in about 3 months in my spare time using the Crayta engine, as part of their Indie Fund incentive toward the end of last year:

Crayta's shaping up to be a really nice engine if you want to make multiplayer games (not something I ever really wanted to do, but the engine does so much of the heavy-lifting and makes it much easier than I expected). It's doing the Roblox thing of allowing folk to make and monetise their own games (so I'm told - I know nothing about Roblox - and my game is completely free), but worth a look if that's your thing. Not sure when my game goes live exactly (I really should pay attention), but yeah - this should be playable shortly.

• Upvote 2

Just came off a duos pubg session with a mate. It's really fantastic, great showcase.

I've been trying it over the last few weeks since it's been free to everyone, using a PC connected to my internet via Wi-Fi, Chrome browser at (presumably) 1080p and a PS4 controller.

I first tried Thumper and I found the visuals on that noticeably more fuzzy than the PS4 version I'm used to, and I found there to be just enough lag that even the opening level was challenging. Rhythm action games like that are presumably Stadia's worst case setup, but Thumper is very forgiving (in most cases, you can just press and hold before the prompt) and still what is an S award on PS4 is a B on Stadia.

Then I've been playing Zombie Army 4, or whatever it's called - the zombie version of the Sniper Elite games. That's mostly a better experience. It's obviously slower-paced. The visuals are still fuzzier than I'd expect, and every session I have has instances where the frame rate drags right down into the single digits. It also, confusingly, seems to stutter and break down based on instances where the game is loading (for example) a new wave of enemies or a level loading boundary, rather than just randomly based on Wi-Fi performance.

Also, load times are surprisingly slow.

It's obviously very convenient having games that I don't have to download. But I don't find myself with any intention to pay for or keep using this service - in the best case, it's been not as good as a console, and has several instances of being worse. For full price retail games and a limited subscription offer, it's not very compelling.