Harsin

Most Useless Features

The touchpad is useful when playing Blu-Rays, as you can painstakingly scrub the video to the point just before the after-credits scene with a few delicate touches, and then watch it shoot off halfway back through the credits the instant you press the touchpad again to make the time bar go away.

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, Hylian said:

giphy.gif.4262393b26ec3229e5d1119570f21b62.gif

But that's used a lot in Labo as well.....i'd bet Labo was the very reason it was there at all. Not that munching shit.

So, yeah LABO. And. yeah, you're right :lol:

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

But that's used a lot in Labo as well.....i'd bet Labo was the very reason it was there at all. Not that munching shit.

So, yeah LABO. And. yeah, you're right :lol:

I know, I did think of LABO. Just couldn't resist posting that gif :lol:

I think if there was a good way of training players, the Vita rear touch-screen could have solved the problem of "move your hand in front of the screen to touch something but also look at what's on the screen". It couldn't act as a "press to click" system but games could perhaps indicate where your finger was and maybe you could hit a shoulder button to "click"?

Anyway, the DS mic. Admit it, you used it once on Ace Attorney and then never again.

20 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I think if there was a good way of training players, the Vita rear touch-screen could have solved the problem of "move your hand in front of the screen to touch something but also look at what's on the screen". It couldn't act as a "press to click" system but games could perhaps indicate where your finger was and maybe you could hit a shoulder button to "click"?

Anyway, the DS mic. Admit it, you used it once on Ace Attorney and then never again.

Useful in Animal Crossing though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Is there a more defunct current generation feature than the touchpad on the Dual Shock 4?

$

Prior to launch there were some half-decent ideas were being pitched for its inclusion, such as easier porting of mobile titles and  mouse driven genres like point and click adventures and RTS games.

Then it came out and handful of games around launch period half heatedly used it for stuff like swiping a direction to choose items... then pretty much nothing. Now it's basically relegated to a comically large map screen button. The weirdest thing is that games seem to be increasingly moving to mouse pointer style in-game menu UIs (see Destiny or Assassins Creed Origins), but they always just use the sticks instead.

That touchpad would be hard to beat. The only innovative use I can think of is perhaps a bomb disposal game where you have to press perform a complex series of actions using the sticks, triggers and buttons, and if you so much as brush the touchpad the bomb goes off.

• Upvote 4

Swiping in different directions to select stuff worked pretty well in the tiny number of games that used it, so it’s a bit of a shame that it didn’t really take off. I guess it’s only really relevant to PS4 exclusives, and there are so few of them that it never really entered the gaming lexicon. Elite: Dangerous used it for control shortcuts, that was about it.

The most useless feature I can think of is the playlist functionality in Halo: Master Chief Collection. The individual levels on Halo take so long to play through that the idea of a playlist is pretty redundant in itself – it’s rare that I’ll play through a whole level in one go, let alone several, so it’s hard to really feel any difference from playing the levels in a different order to normal. And you can’t compile your own playlists and you can’t modify them, which means you’re stuck with the ones that 343 created, including some staggeringly imaginative ones like ‘all the levels in Halo in consecutive order, on normal difficulty’ and ‘all the levels in Halo in consecutive order on heroic difficulty’. I genuinely don’t see the point of doing that through a playlist rather than doing it through the level select menu.

The rest range from ‘fuck that’ (every level in every game in consecutive order on legendary with all skulls on) to ‘extremely dull’ (the flood levels from all four games, on easy). It all feels like something a very senior person suggested early on in the design process, which somehow managed to limp on until it was too late to remove it. If there weren’t loads of achievements linked to it, then I’m sure it would have been patched out years ago.

• Upvote 6

When I'm using my DS4 on my PC, the touchpad controls the mouse and saves me getting off my arse in front of the TV and going over to the computer to dismiss firewall popups, windows notifications, etc. In that case, it's great. On the PS4 itself though, I can't think of anything that makes decent use of it (even it's use in Tearaway Unfolded it feels like a gimmick that could have been done another way).

That said, it's a lot easier to prod the left or right of it than finding the tiny share and options buttons in more frantic games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Kinect.

Agree on Xbox One... However thought it was great on the 360 they really made an effort on the software for it. Still use it now with the family for Kinect Sports (mainly the bowling) and Zumba and Nike Fitness packages. It makes pick up and play gaming extremely easy - the no controller thing is great.

Things started out fairly well on XBox One then MS soon lost interest (and obviously removed it altogether)... Kinect Fitness was actually really good ... which has now been discontinued too.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Dynamic Smoothing

Is that the thing that gives movies a tele-visual quality? Terrible, terrible thing. 

47 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

Xbox Avatars, complete waste of time and Rare or whoever is was that was asked to develop them, a simple pic like Switch or the old gamer pics is all that's needed. 

presumably they made some cash selling avatar hats to cretins

5 hours ago, RaoulSilva said:

Xbox Avatars, complete waste of time and Rare or whoever is was that was asked to develop them, a simple pic like Switch or the old gamer pics is all that's needed. 

People dicking around customising their avatars frequently made the top 10 list for highest total time spent on Xbox Live each week I believe. It may not have been your cup of tea, but shedloads of people spent a silly amount of time (and money) on theirs.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Am I imagining it, or is it also used in some WarioWare games? Worth it just for Wario joy.

The DS4 front track panel thing was a lifesaver when my Bloodborne nerves were shot. A big thumb splodge was all it took.

I use the PS4 trackpad all the time to type on the on-screen keyboard and really miss it when on my Switch trying to do the same. I've yet to find any game where it works as anything other than a giant button (or possibly *two* giant buttons). Aside from as a DJ-record-scratch thing in that Persona 3 dancing game.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The 3D cameras on the 3DS. I think I used them all of never.

They're used in many games to improve the motion control accuracy, so it's likely you have but without realising. There's a reason the 2DS still has 3D cameras even though it can't show 3D!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

The DS mic was best used to blow out torches in Phantom Hourglass. 

You mean to shout OBJECTION! in the Phoenix Wright games.

18 hours ago, Harsin said:

Is there a more defunct current generation feature than the touchpad on the Dual Shock 4?

Yes, it's called the Xbox One.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 2