Jump to content

Microsoft Rewards


stefcha
 Share

Recommended Posts

good lord people go to some effort - I just answered them as they came up :D

 

As for playing games for points I'm not sure I'll just a play a game to get the reward poiints but I do find it a good way to help me find gamepass games I want to play. So I didnt know resi 7 was on for instance so that is downloading and I've always meant to play Edith finch so they go on my "to play" list. I don't keep up with what is one/off the service so it just draws my attention to stuff.

 

The points are a bonus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

On the playing for pennies thing, as an indicator for whether it's worth bothering or not.... 

I haven't spent any points from around Feb 19.

I'm at 256,098 points, which I think is 1,302 off a free Series X SSD expansion...

So for me, that's somewhere around £100 a year then :hat:

 

"Extracting the most financial return from my hobby nets me 27p per day" isn't quite the gotcha you think it is.

 

If it gets you trying things you might not otherwise then more power to you, but let's not convince everybody else that the best thing to do with their gaming time is follow a guide to mop up achievements as quickly as possible. The world's depressing enough already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

 

"Extracting the most financial return from my hobby nets me 27p per day" isn't quite the gotcha you think it is.

 

If it gets you trying things you might not otherwise then more power to you, but let's not convince everybody else that the best thing to do with their gaming time is follow a guide to mop up achievements as quickly as possible. The world's depressing enough already.

 

 

I know this is rllmuk and people will moan about anything but picking Rewards is a pretty odd thing to bang on about. Most of us just do the 10 minutes search and quiz to get massive discounts on games, consoles, Game Pass etc every few months. I can't be arsed doing the 10k thing but I'm not going to moan at people who do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do the rewards too, just like you and others. They're pretty lucrative on their own.

 

I'd just rather people played games for what they are, not what they can scrape out of them by ticking off a checklist. I appreciate though that people do get to play things they wouldn't otherwise do so, but it also feels a bit damning if people can't break out of their comfort zones without a carrot on a stick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It just seems like needless moaning to me. Your actually telling other people their not playing games properly enough. Someone is excited they are getting a massive discount on a SSD expansion and your sneering about 27p a day.

 

Also whenever this 10k things comes around, this thread is full of "Wow *insert game name* is fucking amazing, I'd never have played it otherwise". Ive never seen anyone do it and go "What a waste of time, all the games were shit".  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do take your point, I don't intend to needle so I'll leave it there aside from this:

 

16 minutes ago, Orion said:

Someone is excited they are getting a massive discount on a SSD expansion and your sneering about 27p a day

 

That's not an accurate portrayal given the post was an attempted rebuttal of my "play for play, not pennies" statement. 27p per day is a tiny return no matter how much it adds up to in the long run, so please don't paint me as turning up out of the blue to shit on someone's party.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I do take your point, I don't intend to needle so I'll leave it there aside from this:

 

 

That's not an accurate portrayal given the post was an attempted rebuttal of my "play for play, not pennies" statement. 27p per day is a tiny return no matter how much it adds up to in the long run, so please don't paint me as turning up out of the blue to shit on someone's party.

 

An extra £100 a year to spend on this hobby is huge for me. Maybe not for you. Those pennies can add up for alot of us though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

I do the rewards too, just like you and others. They're pretty lucrative on their own.

 

I'd just rather people played games for what they are, not what they can scrape out of them by ticking off a checklist. I appreciate though that people do get to play things they wouldn't otherwise do so, but it also feels a bit damning if people can't break out of their comfort zones without a carrot on a stick.

 

Honestly - why do you care? I'm being serious - what difference does it make to you if people do or don't?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sigh. I made one, slightly exasperated post in response to one that effectively said "hey, if you don't want to actually play Doom 64, here's a guide to mopping up achievements".

 

I stand by that. Let's leave it there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Orion said:

 

 

I know this is rllmuk and people will moan about anything but picking Rewards is a pretty odd thing to bang on about. Most of us just do the 10 minutes search and quiz to get massive discounts on games, consoles, Game Pass etc every few months. I can't be arsed doing the 10k thing but I'm not going to moan at people who do. 


I do the searches and quizzes while sat on the toilet for my morning shit. Sometimes the extra minute sat there will lead to a rogue bit of shit dropping in the pan that would have otherwise contributed to a messier clean up. Even more rewarding!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Corranga said:

On the playing for pennies thing, as an indicator for whether it's worth bothering or not.... 

I haven't spent any points from around Feb 19.

I'm at 256,098 points, which I think is 1,302 off a free Series X SSD expansion...

So for me, that's somewhere around £100 a year then :hat:

I've decided to keep saving until I absolutely HAVE to buy a Series S, then splurge the lot on that. I'm not that far off £100 worth of points, which already drops it to "I don't mind paying that much for one" territory. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did most of the Doom 64 achievements last night using a guide, it was great fun. A couple of hours spent picking at the seams of a game in a way I wouldn't have otherwise have experienced. In particular there was a great bonus level called Cat & Mouse where you were being stalked round a maze by a Cyberdemon, it was tense as fuck and I played it over and over until I managed to perfect it. If I'd just played the game through "normally" I probably would never have experienced that, you needed to access it from a special menu and chances are I'd have missed it completely or just considered the game complete once I'd run through story mode.

 

They're your games. Play them how you like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/05/2021 at 08:41, Dapple said:

This is a great walkthrough for Doom 64, if you want to focus on achievements rather than playing the whole way through:

 

 

 

 

 

Just did this and it took around 30 mins. Very useful fo this month's 10K challenge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

Somehow I'd never played the third season of Walking Dead despite loving the first and liking the second. It's a bonus this week so I'm playing it and it seems alright. 

I'm planning on working my way through the Walking Dead games, if I grab the bonus in this one, will it spoil the first couple? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm planning on working my way through the Walking Dead games, if I grab the bonus in this one, will it spoil the first couple? 

It will if you do the thing where you pick the choices you made from previous games but if you don't do that then I don't think so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seem to get the points even if you answer the questions wrong so I just go on a clicking spree everyday. It also accepts random key presses for mobile and browser searches so nice and quick to do this everyday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Seem to get the points even if you answer the questions wrong so I just go on a clicking spree everyday. It also accepts random key presses for mobile and browser searches so nice and quick to do this everyday.

Depends. For the Bing Quiz ones, it makes no difference. For the This or That ones, you get points for right answers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Depends. For the Bing Quiz ones, it makes no difference. For the This or That ones, you get points for right answers. 

 

Don't think I've had any of those but only been doing it for 5 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I don't know what that means 

When you start the game it lets you pick your choices from seasons 1 and 2. Spoilers in that. If you don't use that option you should be fine. And it only takes a few minutes to get the points. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following the guide for the Doom 64 achievements is actually a lot better than most of these 'get 1,000 gamerscore in 45 minutes!' guides because you still actually get to play Doom. Which sounds obvious but many of these guides seem built so you explicitly don't need to play what you're actually playing.

 

With Doom 64 you're basically putting in passwords to access particular levels which are best suited for each achievement but you still have to actually complete each level, some of which are no pushovers. Some of the levels are also hidden levels you would probably never organically come across anyway. 

 

I found it quite fun. Doom is fun even if you are accessing each level via a password. I probably wouldn't play through Doom 64 in its entirety but I had a good time with this, it's certainly one of the better ways to get 1,000 points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I enjoyed doing the Doom 64 points, especially that Cyberdemon maze one that @Garwoofoo mentioned. I've not played classic Doom for decades and it was interesting to see how the N64 version differed, although presumably the framerate and resolution is about 100x better than the original! It controls well too, and made me realise how much the Doom reboot captured speedy, strafy feel of the the original games.

 

I'm not sure if there are any other decent new 1,000 pointers. Someone mentioned Little Acre but I've not looked into that.

 

I've been playing PikiNiku with my son which seems quite generous with points, and in quite a fun way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Pob said:

 

I'm not sure if there are any other decent new 1,000 pointers. Someone mentioned Little Acre but I've not looked into that.

 

 

Donut County and Rain On Your Parade are both short, fun little games that you can get through in a couple of hours then use a guide to go back and mop up the remaining achievements.

 

Untitled Goose Game has some tricky ones but should get you 600-700 points without too much effort.

 

The Touryst is slightly longer but lots of fun and 1000 points is eminently doable on that.

 

I've played Little Acre and it's quite charming though obviously made on a budget of about £4.50.  I didn't play it for achievements, though with a guide it wouldn't take you much time at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

 

Donut County and Rain On Your Parade are both short, fun little games that you can get through in a couple of hours then use a guide to go back and mop up the remaining achievements.

 

Untitled Goose Game has some tricky ones but should get you 600-700 points without too much effort.

 

The Touryst is slightly longer but lots of fun and 1000 points is eminently doable on that.

 

I've played Little Acre and it's quite charming though obviously made on a budget of about £4.50.  I didn't play it for achievements, though with a guide it wouldn't take you much time at all.

Cheers, I'll try those. I tried Rain last night but it seemed a little stingy and I'm not quite sure why it's getting so much praise in the GP thread!

 

I did 1,000 points on Untitled Goose Game last year and loved it.

 

The Touryst added to my list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Pob said:

Cheers, I'll try those. I tried Rain last night but it seemed a little stingy and I'm not quite sure why it's getting so much praise in the GP thread!

 

I did 1,000 points on Untitled Goose Game last year and loved it.

 

The Touryst added to my list.

 

Rain on Your Parade gives you very few achievements as you actually play through the game, but once you've completed it, you can go back in with a guide and mop them all up in very little time. Most of the achievements require you to have completed the game before they will even trigger.

 

It's not a brilliant game by any means but it's a nice little diversion. Donut County is better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.