Microsoft Rewards

stefcha

12 hours ago, SteveH said:

MS pulling the usual billy bollocks stunt of having a game up for pre-order (in this case Mass Effect legendary edition) then days before launch, offering 6,000 points reward for pre-ordering, that doesn't count if you'd already ordered it :/ 

Anyway, yeah....6,000 points up today for pre-ordering Mass Effect. 

You could always cancel your pre-order then put it in again. Should be painless enough to do from your order history.

When it comes to Bing questions, I wish they'd swap out every use of 'favourite' for 'favoured'. It shouldn't annoy me as much as it does, but... actually no, the entire exercise is meaningless so my annoyance is the most authentic part of the entire exchange.

3 hours ago, Ferine said:

You could always cancel your pre-order then put it in again. Should be painless enough to do from your order history.

When it comes to Bing questions, I wish they'd swap out every use of 'favourite' for 'favoured'. It shouldn't annoy me as much as it does, but... actually no, the entire exercise is meaningless so my annoyance is the most authentic part of the entire exchange.

Thankfully I did manage to cancel my order and reorder. But MS have been real dicks in the past when it comes to cancelling stuff. They have a limit in place now that says if you ordered it "more than 14 days ago" then they may refuse to refund. And they have indeed done that to me. It shouldn't make a blind bit of difference when you cancel if the game hasn't launched. It used to be pretty much automatic, but now you have to wait for it to be authorised. 

I've found the most reliable method is to say you ordered it on the wrong account and meant to order it as a gift. 

Yeah, the same thing happened with my Village preorder.

I did cancel and reorder,  but really I should have stuck to my post-Cyberpunk pledge to never preorder anything. At some point preordering became part of gaming culture and it doesn't seem to benefit us at all. 

I've just reached the point now where if I want to order anything digitally I'll wait until a few days before release. If it shows up with a punchcard, I'll order it then. If it doesn't then I'll order it a couple of days before it's out. 

8 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

People pre order digital games :blink:

When there's a punchcard giving you 6000 reward points, yeah. 

Just now, mdn2 said:

When there's a punchcard giving you 6000 reward points, yeah. 

I kinda get that but they usually run after the launch don’t they? I know I’ve done a few for big points but bought a code on Eneba etc.

That's the only time I'll do it. I preordered the Mass Effect Trilogy this morning because of the punchcard. I was waiting to see if one showed before release and given I was paying for it with the free credit I'd got already, I might as well do. I don't actually pay money for these games so I might as well do. 

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

People pre order digital games :blink:

I only usually do it if I have managed to buy some cheap xbox credit, then I pre-order something to know it's all paid for. I need to stop though, because I should know better by now. 

The 6000 reward point pre-order bonus usually appears 1-2 weeks before a game's release, so never pre-order a digital game on Xbox until then at the earliest. I always enjoy using my full reward credit to pre-order a game and get yet more reward credit back. I have "free" Resident Evil 8, together with 6000 rewards credit for the pre-order, all installed and ready to go for tomorrow. This process sure beats paying £70 for a next gen game. Reward credit combined with cheap GamePass, topped up to the max via Eneba week codes, means I don't anticipate buying any games with my own money this year.

1 hour ago, womble9 said:

Ok, so most of you will be familiar with the monthly quest that's "Game Pass Games On the Go" (100pts this month at 4x25) whereby you have to Install 5 games using the Game Pass mobile App. 

Well last night I discovered that you can avoid filling your HD with stuff that you perhaps don't want / aren't too bothered about..............by just asking it to download stuff you've already got!! I lined up a handful of (downloaded when they drooped with the Bethesda deal) Doom games and yup, Quest complete, points given :hat:

I have the shared home console thing going, so I end up randomly installing thing to my mate's Xbox - this is a great help!

Is it possible to earn 12000 points a month without spending money? Last month I discovered I had enough points (built up halfheartedly over months/years) to get a month of Game Pass Ultimate. So I did that, and I've been maybe bitten by the rewards bug. I'm happy doing daily quests every day, and the daily set. The weekly and monthly quests don't seem too onerous either.

But as far as I can see, that will only give me a few thousand points, nowhere near enough for a month of GPU. I'm not going to be buying games or films or microtransactions or any of the other things that get thousands of points every month.

Given that, is it worth me chasing the idea of rewards points? Or should I go back to my usual "just play normally, if a quest is competed, turn it in but other than that don't bother about it" ways? 

I don’t go out of my way to do stuff and easily make enough points to earn a fiver a month, I think you’d really have to try hard to make 12k without buying games and movies and/or doing everything possible quest wise. 

You also need to be doing the Rewards stuff through your web browser - daily quizzes etc. There’s a Chrome plugin someone posted here a while ago that will do all your daily searches 

The bonus quests are what bounce it up and they are usually no more onerous than the weekly or monthly stuff.  For example they had a 2K May reward I achieved this week, and the longest task to finish was completing 5 daily sets.

I just passed 60k points this last week, and I cleared my balance down to zero at Xmas to buy AC Valhalla, so 12k a month is definitely possible if you complete the bonus stuff.  (This did however include a 10k bonus at the start of the year which can be a grind, in that you convert actual achievement points from games into points up to a maximum of 10k).  Outside of that one though you are talking about a maximum of 15 minutes effort per day.

3 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Is it possible to earn 12000 points a month without spending money? Last month I discovered I had enough points (built up halfheartedly over months/years) to get a month of Game Pass Ultimate. So I did that, and I've been maybe bitten by the rewards bug. I'm happy doing daily quests every day, and the daily set. The weekly and monthly quests don't seem too onerous either.

But as far as I can see, that will only give me a few thousand points, nowhere near enough for a month of GPU. I'm not going to be buying games or films or microtransactions or any of the other things that get thousands of points every month.

Given that, is it worth me chasing the idea of rewards points? Or should I go back to my usual "just play normally, if a quest is competed, turn it in but other than that don't bother about it" ways? 

I’ve been getting approx 15k a month without spending anything. Just do the dailies and searches on web and mobile, the GP quest and going into the rewards app. The rewards app are where the big points are, there is always a 2k point one every month that has a few easy steps and then other little reward bonuses as well. I had completely missed the fact stuff was in the reward app and was also wondering how people got so many points a month.

Also the best way to add to GPU is to buy the 3 months of XBLA, that is 15k and converts to 50 days of GPU if you are already subbed.

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How many points do you get for searches? It’s not very clear about that. 

3 points per search. Sadly the days of double points bonuses for them are long gone.

1 minute ago, SteveH said:

3 points per search. Sadly the days of double points bonuses for them are long gone.

Ok, I’ll usually max that out at 60 - I’ve not really been taking notice though points wise, does that mean you get 180 points? 

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How many points do you get for searches? It’s not very clear about that. 

In total you can get 90 points a day (plus 12 if you use Edge) from PC searches and then 60 a day (120 for the first month) from mobile searches if you set your mobile search enging to Bing.

So in total you can get 162 points a day or ~ 4860 point a month from searches. With the additional stuff on the web you will be getting over 200 points a day (ignoring streak bonuses and easy reward cards, like the one at the moment that gives you 150 points for clicking 4 links) so you can easily clear 6k a month just doing that.

9 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Anyone else having trouble with the 250 point Resident Evil 8 achievement reward not registering?

I am, the punch card will not complete. I thought it had an issue because I got the game on Thursday and registered an achievement.