linkster

Favourite acting performance of all time

51 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

The Captain Phillips chat has just reminded of that bit where Matthew Mcaunaghey watches all his messages from his daughter in Interstellar.

Yeah, that's awesome too.

Adam Woodyatt in this live episode of The Eastenders clinches it for me. Watch at 0.48 as he uses his facial muscles to communicate shock, incredulity and finally grim acceptance at the fate of Bradley Branning. I won't lie, this clip has got me through some tough times. 

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Danny Aiello in just about everything.

When I lived in Hoboken, New Jersey, Danny Aiello would always... ALWAYS... be eating in this restaurant. 

I used to go there for lunch and pretty much 100% of the time, he'd be sitting in the corner, eating meatballs. 

Spoke to him a couple of times and he was a really nice guy. I think he also had a stand up comedy club upstairs. But it looks like the restaurant is now closed...

Kanye West, who was also living in Hoboken at the time, was a prick the time I saw him in a pizza takeaway place at 2am. This was 10 years ago, I'm sure he's a much nicer guy now.

hoboken-new-jersey-tutta-pasta-v722418-720.jpg

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SM47 said:

Adam Woodyatt in this live episode of The Eastenders clinches it for me. Watch at 0.48 as he uses his facial muscles to communicate shock, incredulity and finally grim acceptance at the fate of Bradley Branning. I won't lie, this clip has got me through some tough times. 

1:10 reminds me of the bad guys death sounds in the Amiga version of Double Dragon

I.e. throwing up

40 minutes ago, OogyBoogy said:

Speaking of Ford, someone easily could post "Regarding Henry" in its entirety in this thread.

Or The Mosquito Coast. Unrecognisable 

• Upvote 1

Christian Bale in American Psycho. It's a perfectly judged comedic performance that stays on the right side of what could easily have become farce, but still manages to do that when needed. The whole film is him and you can tell that he just got it when he read the script. I read the book after and suspect it was much better for having Bale's character of Bateman in my head while doing so.

It's not got great gravitas or worthiness, but there's something about the manic deranged bullshit of Bateman's world that I think really does say something about the real world in an entertaining manner and a lot of films forget that they're meant to be entertainment. I think it might be my favourite film but my own pretension always makes me think I should stick with Taxi Driver or something more 'worthy'. 

American Psycho is one of the few, if only, films that I could re-watch over and over and the reason for that is Bale's performance.

• Upvote 4

It's not my favourite film by any means and it certainly isn't my favourite actor but No Country For Old Men (one of my favourite books). 

Anton Chigurh

MV5BMTU4NTU4MzMwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjQ0

I usually hate film versions of my favourite books but this character played by an actor that isn't that famous - I had to look his name up - is perfect. He doesn't have that much dialogue at all but his portrayal made the film for me.

• Upvote 7

Pacino in Heat. Yeah he’s way over the top at times but I don’t care. I never get tired of watching that film.

Bale in AP is another excellent shout but already picked.

I don't think I could narrow down a favourite, but here's an offering. Pacino in The Godfather, when he's taken to see Sollozzo and McCluskey with the intention of shooting them dead. After he comes out of the rest room with the gun Pacino's physical acting is extraordinary. Everything going through Michael's head is conveyed by body language and expression, as he struggles with the fact that he's there to kill two men, his thoughts about being dragged into the violent life of his family, his desire for vengeance over his father. The noise of the train rises, drowning out the speech of the man opposite, then he moves. That spark in the brain that says "DO IT NOW".

Skip to 3:48

• Upvote 6

My favourite part of that whole sequence is how he utterly fails to do what he was told to do with the gun :) says so much more about his state of mind 

Donnie Whalberg in Band of Brothers. He plays the hardworking regular joe having to deal with the shitty hand he's been given well. 

it comes across so naturally. 

• Upvote 1

Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke for me.  A stunning performance.

Also, Michael Jai White in Black Dynamite.  The emotion he conveys in the Vietnam flashback scene destroys me every time.

• Upvote 1

On 22/09/2018 at 19:36, Sabreman said:

Was Hackman ever bad, in anything? As far as I've experienced, even in middling movies he was consistently great.

Edit: That reads like he's dead. He's just retired, in case anyone has a moment there.

The Birdcage was fucking terrible. 

On 22/09/2018 at 19:39, linkster said:

He’s done some shit - Crimson Tide, Bat 22

I didn’t know there was a sequel to Bat 21 :|

For me it has to be Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven.  Not really a massive Western fan but that film and performance are simply awesome.  Gene Hackman runs him mighty close as well in the same film.

Russell Crowe also gets an honourable mention from me. Just for the hard as nails delivery of the I am Maximus Decimus Merridius (Not a clue if I spelt it right!!!) speech in Gladiator.

• Upvote 3

On 24/09/2018 at 09:33, Stigweard said:

Yup. I love TDK but I know a lot of people see it as quite average in many areas but Ledgers performance elevates it because of how good he was.

To think, everyone questioned it when it was first announced and he showed ever douter up. It's just a shame what it cost him :(

What it cost him? The film had nothing to do with his death.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Waggo said:

For me it has to be Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven.  Not really a massive Western fan but that film and performance are simply awesome.  Gene Hackman runs him mighty close as well in the same film.

Russell Crowe also gets an honourable mention from me. Just for the hard as nails delivery of the I am Maximus Decimus Merridius (Not a clue if I spelt it right!!!) speech in Gladiator.

i love Gladiator but in fairness it’s a great film in every respect 

Cary Elwes in The Princess Bride. It's a perfect acting performance in a perfect film. He's barely done anything of worth since, but that doesn't matter, because he did The Princess Bride.

• Upvote 5

On 26/09/2018 at 07:40, Festoon said:

What it cost him? The film had nothing to do with his death.

I'd read years back that playing the part of the Joker contributed to his sleep deprivation and depression, but on having a read just now, his sister seems to have debunked that last year.

Jeff Bridges in, everything, but especially The Big Lebowski, also love him, Beau Bridges and Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys. Jeff Bridges and Clint Eastwood both deliver beautiful performances in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot too. But Jeff is the man.

I'm also a big Hugh Grant fan and will watch him in anything, Notting Hill is hard to beat though, particularly as Rhys Ifans also delivers a great comic turn.

Bill Murray is another I'll watch in anything, especially love Lost in Translation, Groundhog Day and The Life Aquatic.

Ralph Fiennes in anything too - stand outs being The English Patient and Grand Budapest Hotel.

And finally, Peter Cushing, a real hero of mine.

Oh and Al Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico.

On 22/09/2018 at 15:15, Capwn said:

It's just this performance always springs to mind, I just don't see it ever being outdone. It had the perfect blend of great writers and production team. Bryan Cranston will always be mainly seen as Walter White, he can never fully escape that.

I think if I met him I'd be thinking more of Hal.

Doesn't really fit in this thread, as it's not the whole performance, but I watched Ready Player One again this weekend (still great), and there's this one scene with Simon Pegg that's just superb.  Due to the nature of the roles he's played, I've never really thought of him as a "proper" actor, but this one line he says is just brilliantly played, and gets me right in the feels every time.

Spoilers for RPO, obviously...

Spoiler

Right here, just after Wade says he's going to share the Oasis with his clan.  Ogden says "That's a good choice" and you can just feel so much emotion on those 4 words, with seemingly very little effort from Pegg.