The Haunting of Hill House

JohnC

Horror isn't really my thing, as a genre. I've only watched Hill House last week to get it in before this. 4 eps into this now and I'm enjoying it more than Hill House, apart from the little girl (though I'm sure there will be more to that). Presumably down to me not really being into horror so I'm getting different things out of it than those who do. And it's nice to see Ravi Chakrabarti again.

On 09/10/2020 at 19:45, Popo said:

The Haunting of Bly Manor is now available. 

Watched the first episode and... it doesn’t disappoint!

Spooky mansion, creepy kids and scary dolls, oh my! Lots of Where’s Wally ghosts in the background just like the first series. Some of the original cast are back - not sure if they’ll all be back eventually or not but the story is set in England now so that might preclude some. 

So far it’s really hitting all the notes I enjoyed so much from the first series. Good reviews on the internet too, so looking forward to getting stuck in. 

Thank you for the notification, time to renew some subscriptions! :bye:

edit: subscription renewed and PIZZA ORDERED!

It's enjoyable, not as scary as Season One but then again, it's not trying to be seeing as it owes a large debt to Henry Miller.

Enjoyed it overall but I wish it was a bit more surprising, it felt like it was dragged out a little in terms of looping explanations of what was going on.

Love the cast returning in different roles, though. Knives Out 2 should do likewise.

• 2 weeks later...

We have started a seasonal re-watch of Hill House this evening. I forgot how fantastic it is, actually. The performances in particular are superb, and the focus on the family story, rather than any drab, boring story about the house itself - which is much better served as terrifying set dressing - is what makes it so enjoyable moment to moment. 

It’s also much scarier than Bly Manor. I think it says a lot that, when I wake up in the middle of the night to go pee, as I stare into the darkness of my bedroom the first words that cross my mind, every time, without fail, are:

Bent Neck Lady. 

On 12/10/2020 at 20:09, DC said:

I thought it was disappointing overall.

Basically this for me. 

Started OK but drifted off, too many long monologues, needlessly drawn out character backstories. I wanted to be scared! 

First series was great mind you.