rllmuk
JohnC

The Haunting of Hill House

Finished this last night, and thought it was excellent. The long take episode, in the funeral home, is one of the best things I've seen in a long time. Overall, scary and genuinely moving. Highly recommended.

• Upvote 3

Re the ending, am I right in thinking that

the reason the ghosts were persuading people to kill themselves was because they were bored and wanted more people to hang out with? And the dad secured the release of his kids by overdosing on his heart pills?

Overall it was very good though, even if it did have more endings than Return Of The King. I like that it was really quite sweary, too, for some reason.

6 hours ago, APM said:

The long take episode, in the funeral home, is one of the best things I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, that episode was exceptional.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Re the ending, am I right in thinking that

Reveal hidden contents

the reason the ghosts were persuading people to kill themselves was because they were bored and wanted more people to hang out with? And the dad secured the release of his kids by overdosing on his heart pills?

There is so much to unpick with the ending that doesn’t hold up to scrutiny I don’t know where to start:

It’s basically The Shining right? And it works as a muddle of mental health metaphors, and the ghosts might not be real... but the Dudleys and death of Hugh don’t particularly fit with that.

The show misleads on a number of occasions in a way which deflates the ending rather than escalates. It doesn’t help that the reveals about the mother and the red room are repackaging previously known events rather than presenting new information which casts past events in a new light, and as soon as you give a ghost some sort of melodramatic character motivation they cannot be scary again. I will call it the Beetlejuice effect.

Abigail and the Dudley family was a heartbreaking twist but makes no sense, and there is a muddle between the motivations and agency of ghosts the house has eaten, the house itself, it’s ability to terrorise people outside it’s grounds... all of which are inconsistent and rob the ending of impact. Why would the house not continue to plague the children with ghostly visitations after the climax? Why didn’t it plague the Dudley’s who lived next door? Why would crazy ginger lady just give up at the end because of some back chat from the mother?  

You could argue it was thematically coherent, but narratively a schmaltzy mess.

• Upvote 4

On 20/10/2018 at 23:35, grindmouse said:

I’ve noticed:

Reveal hidden contents

1. statues move in the background in episode 6.

2. Many moments with figures in the background, one of the creepiest I just watched in episode 7 - when the dad finds the skeleton behind the wall it cuts to a close-up shot of him leaning in, and there looks to be a woman edging around the staircase in the background looking at him. Creepy as fuck.

The second thing you mention here made me jump out of my skin, I'm not sure it qualifies as hidden like the others. I've still got the last episode to go but overall I thought this a decent enough watch. 

We watched episode 6 last night, what a technical and creative tour de force that was! Also watched the short featurette on how they did it which is a good watch for anyone with a cursory interest in these things. Its available on youtube, don't want to post here in case of any inadvertent spoilers.

I’ve watched a couple of eps, can’t say I’m bowled over by it but my girlfriend thinks it’s okay.

In episode 2, I can’t help feeling it would have been much funnier if 

Spoiler

a kitten crawled out of Nelly’s mouth in the morgue rather than a cockroach.

I thought this was excellent overall. The middle episodes especially. The horror elements being mostly in the background, the blending between timelines, and the family tragedy were all brilliantly done.

It really should've done more with the final episode though.

• Upvote 1

On 17/10/2018 at 12:45, Scribblor said:

Madness. It's far and away the best horror TV show ever made, and the best horror in any medium since The VVitch.

I enjoyed the third ep better than the previous two, but come on old bean. The Witch is in a completely different class to this stuff.

Incidentally, anyone who likes The Witch should also check out the Danish flick Day of Wrath (trailer tells you practically nothing so it’s safe to watch):

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, ZOK said:

I enjoyed the third ep better than the previous two, but come on old bean. The Witch is in a completely different class to this stuff.

Incidentally, anyone who likes The Witch should also check out the Danish flick Day of Wrath (trailer tells you practically nothing so it’s safe to watch):

Oh yes, I agree it's not a patch on The Witch. But I can't think of a better horror I've seen since I saw The Witch. 

I haven't seen Hereditary, which is supposed to be excellent. I preferred this to IT though, which is pretty much the only other good horror I can think of since then.

No, I’ve not seen that either. I got all excited at reports in the thread but then people started saying it was rubbish and I forgot about it.

I really enjoyed the fourth episode, and the ‘introduction’ of that ep’s ghost I found really creepy, like proper shivers up the spine, even though it was actually quite comical.

Flipping Luke though! 

Spoiler

As a big burly bloke he should have pinched the hat back, and then stolen his coat as well.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

I really enjoyed the fourth episode, and the ‘introduction’ of that ep’s ghost I found really creepy, like proper shivers up the spine, even though it was actually quite comical.

Flipping Luke though! 

Hide contents

As a big burly bloke he should have pinched the hat back, and then stolen his coat as well.

Luke is a gentle giant, he's really sensitive and its almost tragic I find where he's ended up because of this.

13 hours ago, ZOK said:

Flipping Luke though! 

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 4s ghost reminded me of the Gentlemen from Buffy and Conjuring 2s version of The Crooked Man, that's as far as I've got so far but it's been excellent. I was nearly crying by the end when Steve was talking to Luke

• Upvote 1

Yeah I watched the fourth episode last night and really enjoyed it even though, as Zok said, the ghost was a mixture of scary and funny. The reveal of it was terrifying. I also liked how it recontextualised the events of the first episode.

Everything I've read suggests the fifth and sixth episodes are highlights so I might binge them both tonight.

• Upvote 1

On 22/10/2018 at 09:45, APM said:

Finished this last night, and thought it was excellent. The long take episode, in the funeral home, is one of the best things I've seen in a long time. Overall, scary and genuinely moving. Highly recommended.

Came here to post this, basically. I didn’t even realise it had been a continuous take until the actor who plays Steven corpsed about 8 minutes into the episode. The whole episode felt more like a stage production; set almost entirely in the funeral home, ensemble cast, fewer close-ups.  An extremely satisfying watch, and scary as all hell.  

Episode 6 was a high point in a great show, I felt, quite surprised to hear dissenting opinions. It nailed the balance between fear, tension and drama very well and I was fully engaged throughout. 

Best of all I was scared of the dark for a week after watching, for fear of seeing the bent neck lady. A quick mention also about the house itself. Loved the way it was shot, every scene taking place there had me on edge, it felt like being transported to another, more sinister, world when contrasted with the scenes taking place in the outside world. A really visually arresting production. 

• Upvote 4

Finally plucked up the courage to watch this and TBH, I was bored of it by episode 7.

There are just too many filler episodes in these Netflix productions, they seem so desperate for content that they're giving way too much latitude to writers & directors to pad this stuff out with 2 or 3 episodes that just aren't needed. The Marvel shows are just the same.

...and Timothy Hutton's mumbling was driving me up the wall.

6/10 but would have been an 8/10 if it had received some judicious trimming.

• Upvote 1

Watched The Lady With A Bent Neck last night. Not really finding it scary, I mean I can see where the scares are but they're not working on me. Instead what I'm getting from it is some isolated but linked character pieces that are very strong.

Probably because it just wasn't as scary as expected! I watched the final last night and I was really anxious beforehand, thinking the entire season's build up is gonna lead up to a really scary episode. I enjoyed it but it certainly wasn't what I had anticipated, and I can imagine that it's a deal breaker for people who watched it just for the spooky bits and were bored by the characters. For me it was a nice mix though, I like being just a little scared.

That’s good, I’ve not seen the last episode yet, and find most of the ‘scares’ to be a bit silly, and generally the weakest part of the show. As a study of a creeping dread and fucked up family though, it’s just dandy.

I must admit though, the ‘everything is blue!!!’ lighting and scenery is starting to get on my wick a bit.

I think there were a couple of things that made the final episode a bit of a letdown.

Spoiler

First, I really expected it to be a complete mind fuck, blending timelines so you had no idea what was real and what wasn't. It started off in an interesting way but never ramped it up enough. Second, the last bit was too quick and too clean. All through it had been playing with the idea of 'ghosts' as personal psychological demons as well as actual ghosts from the house, and then we skip ahead a couple of years and apparently everyone's in perfect mental health and doing just fine. If they'd showed each family member getting on with life but still struggling in some ways, I think it would've worked better.

15 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I think there were a couple of things that made the final episode a bit of a letdown.

Hide contents

First, I really expected it to be a complete mind fuck, blending timelines so you had no idea what was real and what wasn't. It started off in an interesting way but never ramped it up enough. Second, the last bit was too quick and too clean. All through it had been playing with the idea of 'ghosts' as personal psychological demons as well as actual ghosts from the house, and then we skip ahead a couple of years and apparently everyone's in perfect mental health and doing just fine. If they'd showed each family member getting on with life but still struggling in some ways, I think it would've worked better.

Why? They'd literally put their ghosts to rest.