Keyboard Koala

Yoshi's Crafted World

yoshis_crafted_world.jpg

Nintendo finally provided an update on the new Yoshi game for Switch. Confirming the final name Yoshi’s Crafted World, the game launches Spring 2019.

Yoshi's Crafted World will allow players to join up with a friend, which is a nice touch; and it also lets players walk backward, practically a sin for side-scrolling platformers. Other than that, Yoshi’s new adventure seems to be much akin to his previous one, except much, much glossier. Which should be alright.

So, the game is a side-scrollingplatformer where 3D characters are moved on a 2D plane. Unlike most side-scrolling games, though, Yoshi's Crafted World allows the player to view the game from two opposite viewpoints, allowing the camera to "flip sides" to see behind objects.  The viewpoint is changed when the player has the Yoshi character stomp on the ground. Outside of this new mechanic, the game plays similar to prior Yoshi games, where the player may use Yoshi's tongue to eat enemies or other objects, turn them into eggs, and throw them outwardly into the level. The game will feature a two-player multiplayer mode, where each player maneuvers their own Yoshi through the game's levels

Screenshots:

Switch_YoshisCraftedWorld_090618_PressKi

Japanese debut trailer:

fV1Mzxu.jpg

• Upvote 5

30 mins. of gameplay courtesy of Nintendo's Treehouse:

Looks spiffy, and I hope this breaks the questionable track record of good-looking but mediocre-playing Yoshi games. I mean the last really enjoyable Yoshi game was on the SNES. Woolly World was alright, but nothing special. Like Yoshi's Story on the N64 and pretty much every other Yoshi game.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Looks spiffy, and I hope this breaks the lamentable track record of good-looking but mediocre-playing Yoshi games. I mean the last really enjoyable Yoshi game was on the SNES. Woolly World was alright, but nothing special. Like Yoshi's Story on the N64 and pretty much every other Yoshi game.

I expect it will be no different. A few new ideas that are novel at first but repeated. Borrowing a lot of ideas from previous Yoshi games most players forget about until they play another Yoshi game. Levels that go on slightly too long, and collectibles that are fiendishly difficult / tedious to 100% so no-one bothers. A beautiful, but C-Tier experience. Maybe a 6/10 from Edge.

8 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Looks spiffy, and I hope this breaks the questionable track record of good-looking but mediocre-playing Yoshi games. I mean the last really enjoyable Yoshi game was on the SNES. Woolly World was alright, but nothing special. Like Yoshi's Story on the N64 and pretty much every other Yoshi game.

WTF Woolly World was fucking great!

• Upvote 7

Yoshi's Woolly World is excellent.

One of those games that you come to fully appreciate just how well made it is the longer you stick with it, repeat levels, and go for 100% completion, but it is irrefutably excellent.

• Upvote 4