rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

This is why I haven't asked for item exchanges when I have offered stuff to people. I want to find stuff at my own pace unless it's something truly difficult to come across and I want to complete a set of some kind.

I get why people want to swap stuff early on, but they seem to have a goal of exactly how they want the island to look. I have no idea about mine yet to be honest, but I'm happy to take my time. I'm sure Nintendo will add a lot of stuff in the future. But for the love of god get rid of the villagers needing medicine. I'm sure it was taken out of NW, as the last few months, maybe a year or so (?) I don't recall any villagers needing medicine in the game - or did the herd immunity take place without me noticing?

• Upvote 4

I agree complaints about a lack of content or support after hundreds of hours of play are stupid. It’s crazy to expect anything else.

But I notice a trend in AC threads that’s like being in Apple threads. The references to people playing it wrong (not reacting specifically to the above, it’s just the latest to use or imply this thought process). Like the way some part of the community reacts to TT or turnip trading or looking up items/bugs/fish.

What I think is amazing about the game is that it supports such a broad range of play styles and basically none of them miss out. Want to TT to get items or complete your criterpedia quickly. Have fun. Want to mass trade turnips for huge piles of bells. Knock yourself out. Want to play 30mins a day and forgot to dig up half your fossils. No problem.

People in being cunts shocker. Fuck em. They ruined the game for themselves.

I look up items when it's someone's birthday to try and get the best thing for them. I'm not even sure what the benefit of this is, I just don't want the weird, digital, anthropomorphic animal to be unhappy. Because that matters, obviously.

Also I'm that cunt that buys hooky Etsy cards. I was going to get two for my final neighbours but I decided to roll the dice on one and got Kat from Licky End, which I think is @Weavus's island. I didn't even go and rob her, she just turned up. She has a small face.

The other one is going to be sprocket, because who doesn't want a mechanical bird as a neighbour?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

I'm all for investing a fair wedge in the turnip game as per the rules, but where's the fun in all that time travelling bollocks? 

Do what makes you happy. Everyone plays the game in a different way.

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy from Crazy Redd when visiting someone? I ask because he is selling 3 genuine paintings this morning, at least according to the guide I read, and I can only buy 1! 

1 minute ago, CheekyLee said:

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy from Crazy Redd when visiting someone? I ask because he is selling 3 genuine paintings this morning, at least according to the guide I read, and I can only buy 1! 

I think so, but he won't have the same paintings that the one on your island has will he?

You can only buy 1 artpiece a day. Whether it's from your island or another person's.

And can I visit this person with 3 genuine artpieces?

• Upvote 1

Just now, moosegrinder said:

I think so, but he won't have the same paintings that the one on your island has will he?

1 minute ago, Tetmon said:

You can only buy 1 artpiece a day. Whether it's from your island or another person's.

I know I can only buy 1. What I want to know us if 2 others could visit my island to take advantage of definite genuine paintings. (Moody and Dynamic.)

1 minute ago, CheekyLee said:

I know I can only buy 1. What I want to know us if 2 others could visit my island to take advantage of definite genuine paintings. (Moody and Dynamic.)

Yes they can, if they haven't bought today already.

8 hours ago, Broker said:

Jesus Christ. I thought I was playing quite a lot and had a fair amount of shit. Why would you need that much money?

It becomes the game. If people want to become a bell billionaire it’s no more or less legit than breeding flowers or collecting a particular set. Everyone takes a different thing away and none of it affects me particularly. I find the twitch streamers with the ‘best’ of everything who do giveaways to viewers, not strange, just not my particular cup of tea. Participate in the way that makes sense for you :)

• Upvote 1

I agree it's a bit rich for people to time-skip in order to acquire all the collectibles and every item etc and then complain about content. Plus folks have been playing it a lot more intensely due to lockdown.

We don't know how much content Nintendo have planned to dripfeed via DLC, but I'm going to be devil's advocate here and suggest that it wouldn't be beyond the scope of Nintendo to add eg. 50 new items a month as DLC via a season pass. As with Smash Bros, it would be perfect for a game Nintendo expect to have legs.

But anyway, I expect the base content will keep me occupied on and off for around a year. Maybe the next-gen Animal Crossing will have full GaaS support.

Checked my profile this morning, I'm on 150+ hours played, and I've still not seen a thunderstorm.

I did finally get my 5 star rating though!  Yay, gold watering can!  Is that how you get gold flowers?

Am I right in thinking there's no advantage to maintaining 5-star status?  I can happily remodel my island and reduce it's rating without missing out on anything?

I'm open.

It's raining.

Saharah's here.

Also spring train set at Nooks.

Let me catalogue if you buy it, pls.

Have opened up for visitors.  Leif is in the plaza, he has Camellias as the out of season shrub

Raymond is crafting Stone Lion Dog

Big stack of free recipes in the swap area, please just help yourself

Nothing much else going on but I have finally prettied up the rest of the right hand side of my island

I'll be afk as am working

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Am I right in thinking there's no advantage to maintaining 5-star status?  I can happily remodel my island and reduce it's rating without missing out on anything?

The only upside to maintaining the 5-star rating would be that only then the Lily of the Valley flower spawns. I think it’s one flower each day but don’t know if it’s guaranteed.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

8 million is a weeks turnip haul for novice min maxers. It’s about 4 full loads of turnips, and people are filling half their island making 20m+ Selling at just over 500. If you time travel, buy more and find a place to sell, (e.g. have a buddy who does the same until they get a good sell price then yeah).

People will always min max. I had a twitch stream on in the background earlier and the guy spent a straight hour buying turnips.

The online economy seems pretty poorly thought out from a balance point of view. Even with just this forum its easy to make big money from nips after a few weeks.

I started off with 80K bells investment.

• Week 1, 80K becomes about 300k.
  • Week 2 invest 100K of my winnings. Get back 500K.
  • Week 3 I reinvest 200K of last weeks, and get back over 1 million.
  • Week 4 I re-invest that million to get 5 million, and pay off final loans, still leaving me with over a million in the bank.
  • Week 5 I invested a million again, and even though I only got 3.5 million back, I just put it in the bank. Now I have savings I can dip into, and any time I need big money I can just start investing a million or two again.

The past 2 weeks I have only spent smaller amounts on nips because there's nothing much to spend bells on now. But you can see how easy it is to make massive money if you keep reinvesting and can guarantee a decent price thanks to the forum, or for other folks, sites like turnip exchange or just small groups of friends.

If I'd carried on reinvesting every time and had the time to do it, I could have had about 25 million by now without any huge effort. I can only imagine how much people have who have time travelled or opened up to the internet have made. They will have received massive tips and fees which they can reinvest if they can be arsed. The only really limiting factor is physical space to store turnips and trips made to Daisy with full inventories.

The problem is how do you balance an economy for both single player and online. People who aren't online will take months just to pay off the house loans, let alone start thinking about buying expensive furniture. That's kind of the spirit of the game, but at the same time I wonder if they'll start adding way more expensive things for online players to spend bells on. Thank god its not a competitive game (officially) or people would have been in uproar about the imbalance. And you can't really fix the economy now either, a patch saying "sorry guys we're taking all your bells and nerfing the shit out of the turnip market" isn't an option.

Not that its a big deal as is pointed out in the posts above, you can play how you want. But I for one am confused as to why people even bother making money beyond the point I have. I guess its something to aim for, and for those who want to take part in villager trading you need a crapton of bells for that too. Trust me though, one or two weeks of hauling 2 or 3 inventories worth of turnips to daisy Mae on another island is not very fun!

That’s the problem. Surely Nintendo knew that issue beforehand, without putting restrictions on what you can do online and ruining their experience for others it was always open to be exploited. I said before that a lot of gamers have an attitude to thrashing a game and moving onto the next and many tried playing Animal Crossing like that, going online and exploiting the economy to make money etc, trading characters and items etc. For me it goes against the the point of the game. I only visit islands and trade and gift with my actual friends who own the game, about four others who semi regularly visit each other’s islands and also provides another way to keep in touch during lockdown. I won’t even participate on here because for me animal crossing is an experience shared with friends. We trade, sell nips and send items within our small group and I prefer that more intimate relationship with the game rather than opening it up to the world. 

In other news Biff, top bloke, wanted to leave so I allowed him. He’s been replaced by an amour wearing parrot, total boss!

I don't really see the problem. There's enough stuff that's 100k plus that, if you decided you wanted to build a massive arcade or similar, you could work your way through a few million really quickly. And if you don't want to do that, or don't have the time (or internet connections) then you'll set your sights a lot lower. Ultimately, it's not competitive so it doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

@Broker I've got Merry's Amiibo card, if you'd like to borrow it? If you send me Lolly's card to use, I'll then send it back with Merry.

If anyone wants to come and see my island in its competition entry state, feel free to pop over (judging for the competition is done now). Sahara is wandering around, there's a few recipes on the front path up for grabs too.

Jiggy at Shadyglade,

Dodo Code 7K3QF

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

The past 2 weeks I have only spent smaller amounts on nips because there's nothing much to spend bells on now. But you can see how easy it is to make massive money if you keep reinvesting and can guarantee a decent price thanks to the forum, or for other folks, sites like turnip exchange or just small groups of friends.

If I'd carried on reinvesting every time and had the time to do it, I could have had about 25 million by now without any huge effort. I can only imagine how much people have who have time travelled or opened up to the internet have made. They will have received massive tips and fees which they can reinvest if they can be arsed. The only really limiting factor is physical space to store turnips and trips made to Daisy with full inventories.

Even if you acquire 25 million that's fine. You can dip into it to buy stuff. I just spent 220 000 on a kimono hanger thing but would be cool if there were some very high priced things for multiple millions.

You can have all the money in the world and not have any bugs or fish in your collection. Once I've got enough cash to be comfortable I can try to complete my collection. No amount of cash can buy those bugs and fish!

And most importantly of all, stop playing! For real, leave it on standby with your town open, let people enjoy your town, just play when you feel like it, play other games, wait for the updates . I am winding down my play time as its genuinely been unhealthy this last month , But it was worth it. I'll just do 5 hours a day now

• Upvote 2

Playing this and RE4 simultaneously and my subconscious dubs in the Merchant lines whenever I'm visiting Nook's Cranny.

• Upvote 1

It just seems so odd to consider the phrase "online economy" with regards to Animal Crossing. 

Despite the fact that it's possible to give people money in exchange for things the fact that there's no actual transactional approach to it (eg where both people have to accept the terms of a trade and two things transfer, rather than just fucking dropping it on the floor) goes to show that people weren't really supposed to treat it as an actual online currency.

So I really really hope Nintendo don't think "oh we'd better give people with millions something to spend it on" and I actually trust they won't. I think the crown for 1m goes to show that high ticket items are a bit of a joke. 

I do think the turnip thing is the only 'balance' issue. Playing the market should have just been limited to your town I think. Just like you can't sell insects to a "Foreign" Flick. 

The reality of playing the Turnip market has just become trying to find someone with a good price. We've shown on the forum it doesn't take knowing many people to turn a profit, and thus the limiting factor on how much you make is really how much you can be bothered to deal with the 4000 turnip inventory limit and endlessly arguing with Dodos.

• Upvote 1

I think people forget there'll be a large swathe of people that have no idea about the tiers of the neighbours, or shopping around for the best nip prices, or even time travelling and that even if they do time travel that it's a 'bad' thing.

I told a friend who's a gamer but not involved with Reddit or forums or even social media about the pain of going to people's islands when trying to sell turnips, and how it's worth it for the person hosting because they can make millions in tips alone and he was very surprised that that was a thing.

The economy doesn't bother me. I've no desire to min/max, game the market or any of that. As long as I have enough to move my island around I'm ok.