rllmuk
mr_woo

Judgment - Out Tuesday 25th June - (Eng dub and Jp Original)

This is definetly on my radar. I've only just finished Yakuza 0 though (the first one I've played through to the end)

I’m unsure of this. What I’ve seen reminds me a bit of LA Noire which isn’t a good thing. I’ve still got it preordered obviously, but I’m definitely going in with low expectations.

I've been playing this the last few weeks thanks to a nice early review copy. The detective stuff is pretty basic but adds some variety, otherwise it's mostly business as usual. Same or very similar structure, tone, humour, combat etc. If you want more Yakuza but a bit different, you'll be fine.

There was an interesting article about this on the PS blog. It has an English dub (unlike Yakuza), and original audio which is the way I imagine us connoisseurs will all be playing it ;-)

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/03/07/judgment-launches-june-25-how-the-yakuza-spinoff-reinvents-localization/

Thankfully, they did the subtitles twice, and didn't just re-use the English subtitles on the Japanese track. I didn't even consider that would be an option! Good to see them going the extra mile on this.

• Upvote 3

Completely forgot about this, I am still part way through the brilliant Yakuza 0 as well (although I played it coming off of the back of Kiwami so got a bit burnt out).

Where does this fit with the Yakuza timeline?

4 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Completely forgot about this, I am still part way through the brilliant Yakuza 0 as well (although I played it coming off of the back of Kiwami so got a bit burnt out).

Where does this fit with the Yakuza timeline?

As far as I know, it's a separate entity and doesn't actually have anything to do with Yakuza plot lines. It's present day, anyway. 

Same as binary domain and saints row 2. Goty, baby.

i’ve also finished this for review - embargo should have broken, but just to be safe i’ll Just say that the English voiceovers are fantastic and one of the villains is a pretty sinister dude.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Same as binary domain and saints row 2. Goty, baby.

i’ve also finished this for review - embargo should have broken, but just to be safe i’ll Just say that the English voiceovers are fantastic and one of the villains is a pretty sinister dude.

Post a link when it's up (assuming it's online), I'd be interested to read it.

18 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Post a link when it's up (assuming it's online), I'd be interested to read it.

Will do. It's in the queue for publication, might be tonight US time as I write for a US site.

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed what I have played of this so far, apart from the tailing sections....quite boring and go on a bit too long. But as the first one is also a tutorial for it, hopefully a lot of them don't take nearly as long.

I decided to use the English Vo. Before you lynch me :P let me say that I was just testing the waters with it to see how it is. And it's......ok. The lead character is fine, but some of the others are a bit Shenmue'y to say the least :)

I was also wary of spending yet more time in Kamurocho to be honest. How many games have been set there now? But there is something grittier about it, the lighting especially feels quite different to me. It looks gorgeous though.

I think the combat feels a bit slicker/faster as well. But I'm not keen on the numerous little pop ups that are endless, telling you how much exp/money you earned. They feel too intrusive.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth for now.

Since my review's not live yet I gave it an 8.5 / 10 and said it was another predictably great entry from the Ryu Ga Gotoku team which only really faltered during the tailing missions (as in every other game in history, they're dull as hell - perfectly capturing the pulse pounding excitement of really slowly walking behind an NPC for ages and ages) and that the new pixel hunting photography / find some evidence sections can drag on too long.

Plus side, they don't show up too often in the main storyline. Downside, they do show up in the side cases.

Steve, you'll get used to the dub - it's actually pretty excellent, and if you're like me you'll be a lot more critical of it in the beginning, checking the lip sync and all that, before it all just kinda shakes out.

The pop ups don't leave unless there's a way to turn them off. They didn't bother me, but right up till the end of the game I was having it give me tips that I'd been given right at the start.

It's kinda insane that they can fire out these entries at such a rapid pace and keep them consistently great. I mean, sure, they're reusing assets such as the city and some attacks / music, but it's still impressive.

And the fortune teller is hilarious. I love her - wouldn't trust her near a pair of darts, though.

Edit: Maybe time for a title change, what with the new Western name and everything?

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Since my review's not live yet I gave it an 8.5 / 10 and said it was another predictably great entry from the Ryu Ga Gotoku team which only really faltered during the tailing missions (as in every other game in history, they're dull as hell - perfectly capturing the pulse pounding excitement of really slowly walking behind an NPC for ages and ages) and that the new pixel hunting photography / find some evidence sections can drag on too long.

Plus side, they don't show up too often in the main storyline. Downside, they do show up in the side cases.

Steve, you'll get used to the dub - it's actually pretty excellent, and if you're like me you'll be a lot more critical of it in the beginning, checking the lip sync and all that, before it all just kinda shakes out.

The pop ups don't leave unless there's a way to turn them off. They didn't bother me, but right up till the end of the game I was having it give me tips that I'd been given right at the start.

It's kinda insane that they can fire out these entries at such a rapid pace and keep them consistently great. I mean, sure, they're reusing assets such as the city and some attacks / music, but it's still impressive.

And the fortune teller is hilarious. I love her - wouldn't trust her near a pair of darts, though.

Edit: Maybe time for a title change, what with the new Western name and everything?

Done :)

I was hoping to have this for the weekend but it wasn't to be the case :(  I'll personally be playing in JP soundtrack with the specific subs for it but really hope the dub appeals to more folk and they give the game a go.

• Upvote 1

On 20/06/2019 at 10:17, SozzlyJoe said:

There was an interesting article about this on the PS blog. It has an English dub (unlike Yakuza), and original audio which is the way I imagine us connoisseurs will all be playing it ;-)

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/03/07/judgment-launches-june-25-how-the-yakuza-spinoff-reinvents-localization/

Thankfully, they did the subtitles twice, and didn't just re-use the English subtitles on the Japanese track. I didn't even consider that would be an option! Good to see them going the extra mile on this.

That's good to know about the subtitles. 

Winds me up when they use "dubtitles".

I don't know loads of Japanese but enough to know when certain stuff isn't being said but the subtitles say otherwise. 

43 minutes ago, mr_woo said:

Done :)

I was hoping to have this for the weekend but it wasn't to be the case :(  I'll personally be playing in JP soundtrack with the specific subs for it but really hope the dub appeals to more folk and they give the game a go.

Same :(

Simplygames failed on me for the first time.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

That's good to know about the subtitles. 

Winds me up when they use "dubtitles".

I don't know loads of Japanese but enough to know when certain stuff isn't being said but the subtitles say otherwise. 

It's a bit weird - I can understand the "dubtitles" side of things but when they boast about tweaking the dialogue to sound like something an English speaker would say, I start to question it:

33408739648_777c3ee79a_b.jpg

Neither are especially well written, but "Suing me is a bad idea." isn't any worse than "you won't know what hit you".

In the Japanese, the previous line is “Fair warning…” whereas in English, the previous line is, “You still wanna sue?”

Maybe it's just me but "You still wanna sue?" doesn't sound as good.

The writing's excellent, either way. There's some great in jokes as well - I'm unsure how many people will even get this one, but it had me laughing out loud:

I haven't posted most of the best ones on twitter because I don't want to spoil some scenes, but holy hell, some of them are hilarious.

The worst part of the dub? Yagami quite often introduces himself in the third person. Audibly. He actually says 'This is Yagami' to introduce himself, like he's introducing someone else. 'Yagami desu' definitely has better translations than that.

• Upvote 1

You can't set the minimap to rotate anymore, I'm knocking a star off for that.

Apart from that can’t talk too much about the new mechanicss because as soon as I was given an iota of freedom I nobbed off my urgent case and headed straight for the arcades and spent the night clearing out the claw machines and playing darts and Puyo Puyo instead.

• Upvote 3

With all the stuff on sites about the new Evangelion sub/sub today, it makes you appreciate the absolutely incredible job the Yakuza team have been doing localising the series even more.

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

You can't set the minimap to rotate anymore, I'm knocking a star off for that.

PREORDER CANCELLED.

But really... please please tell me the Kamuro of the Dead game allows for inverted controls?

The English dub seems good, but the performance capture and face detail is so good in these games (in the major cutscenes that is) that it just feels bizarrely jarring to see voices that don't match the faces and aren't synced to the animations. It's like the distraction that is watching a dubbed live action film as opposed to an animation (or indeed most games). 

I was a bit worried about this. I found I bounced off their other recent side project, the Fist of the North Star game. I found myself getting bored of it pretty quickly, the combat wasn’t a patch on any of the Yakuza games I’ve played and I didn’t really enjoythe script much (maybe because I have next to zero familiarity with the source material) and I never finished it.

Glad to say that (so far) this is a proper return to form. They could easily have called this Yakuza 7 and I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid. The main guy isn't quite as much fun to play as Kiryu. He’s a bit too self-consciously cool, compared to Kiryu who, despite being able to beat up the entries Avengers roster and being built like a Greek god, was a massive awkward dork who couldn’t walk down the street without getting scammed 8 times. 

Ive put in about 12 hours so far and I’m on *checks notes*  chapter 2. Mind you I’m methodically clearing out any side content before I do any story stuff. Bit worried how many side cases there are actually, if all that’s available are the ones at your office and the law firm, then I’ve nearly filled in both those menus.