rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dumpster

Turn your PSP or PSP Go into a fantastic emulation machine

Is it worth talking about emulation on the PSP? After all , the PSP emulation scene is duplicated, and bettered by the PS Vita, which has been blown open by the hacking community.  The PS Vita has an emulator called Adrenaline which makes your Vita a perfect all in one Vita and PSP machine. So why should you care about the PSP? 

Lots of reasons! Emulation on the PSP is far more established than the Vita and some emulators run better on the PSP. Also the PSP Go is a beautiful little machine, way ahead of its time in terms of digital downloading, internal storage and tiny form factor. There's something lovely about the PSP Go, in the same way that the Gameboy Micro is so much cooler than the rest of the Gameboy range despite being smaller and harder to hold.  The mod process for the PSP is as easy as connecting it to the computer and copying a file to it.  The PSP is a great little machine. The PSP Go is even lovelier and when you put it in your pocket after filling it with emulators you'll be hopping on a train just to play with it. 

• Upvote 3

Clearing out the loft I just powered up a PSP Go that I found and I'd forgotten that I'd modded it.  Filled the internal ram with PSP and PS1 games.  It's a shame the d-pad is a bit flat, but otherwise it's a cracking little piece of kit.  The GBA games look especially good.  It's tiny, plays PS1, PSP, GBA, Nes , CPS1 etc. perfectly and it's smaller than a phone.  I'm going to spend some more time playing with this tomorrow, see what else it can do.

IMG_20190730_230208-1382x1843.jpg

IMG_20190730_230409-1382x1843.thumb.jpg.c22ee02d1a4001bd46136c7d54c309a8.jpg

• Upvote 1

My PSP Go is a permanent fixture in my gaming set up. It's amazing for Megadrive, Master System, PC Engine and as mentioned is superb for GBA, Gameboy and NES.  

The Snes stuff is ok but as soon as Mode 7 is involved it seems to chuck a wobbler. 

Never had Mame working on any decent number of games BUT Capcom CPS 1,2 and 3 all work a treat, as does Neo Geo. 

It's a brilliant wee machine and the form factor means that even with a wee slip case it's still pocket sized. 

Not to rain on the love in here. But GBA emulation is far from perfect. I’ve played circle of the moon to completion and at points the frame rate dips almost made me abandon it. The 2 headed dragon being a particular low light with what must have been an FPS in the single digits..

I’ve subsequently been put off embarking on GBA action games on the PSP just in case I get a similar experience some way down the line.

Plays the hell out of Fire Emblems and Advance Wars of course and as far as I’m concerned the PSP go form factor is pretty much perfect. A truly pocketable portable and the ps1 emulation performance and library is a huge plus. 

@MrMorgasaurus 

As someone who uses their PSP for GBA emulation, I always wonder about this myself.

On the other hand, I remember that Circle of the Moon had a lot of performance issues because it used a significant portion of the GBA's processor for its amazing soundtrack. Emulation might exacerbate some of the performance issues, but a lot of early GBA games were rough.

53 minutes ago, DeDeDe said:

@MrMorgasaurus 

As someone who uses their PSP for GBA emulation, I always wonder about this myself.

On the other hand, I remember that Circle of the Moon had a lot of performance issues because it used a significant portion of the GBA's processor for its amazing soundtrack. Emulation might exacerbate some of the performance issues, but a lot of early GBA games were rough.

I suppose it could be isolated to COTM because it was an early title. But it was so ruinous - forcing me to save scum my way through that boss - that it’s put me right off. Any future play through of Aria or Harmony will be on a DS that’s for sure.

It’s not everything on reflection. I’ve been playing GBA Super Ghouls and Ghosts on PSP without any noticeable issues. Though I’m so poor at it I’ve not seen very far into the game. 

To be fair even the Vita has a job running a lot of GBA games at full speed. It's one of those machines that seems to have some problems, especially when anything like 3D are involved.