What truly great films did you see at the cinema on initial release?

45 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Starship Troopers.

It might not be everyone's idea of a classic, but I went in knowing very little about it, and came out and felt exhausted. Great stuff.

I was going to mention that. Saw it on acid the first day it was out. Confused the shit out of me.

Superman is easily one of my most iconic Cinema memories mind. Queuing from the Newport Road start of Queen St in Cardiff and aged 4 seeing that movie. Just makes it all a bit magical I suppose.  

Then again the whole 70's cinema experience and limited availability and exposure to media explains that. 

3 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Starship Troopers.

It might not be everyone's idea of a classic, but I went in knowing very little about it, and came out and felt exhausted. Great stuff.

I was working at the Mirror at the time it was being previewed and most of my department went on comp tickets cos they literally couldn’t give them away, the ‘common’ wisdom was the Robocop guy had totally fucked up 

Late 90s I was back to going every week. Saw the like of Grosse Point Blank, Fight Club, Event Horizon and the Star Wars remastered trilogy thing.

And LA Confidential, which got partly spoilt for me as they let us in as the titles were scrolling up from the previous showing. Right at the end of the titles is 

Spoiler

a tribute by the TV company to Kevin Spacey's character.

I tell you what was effective at the time too, was Scream. Despite all the sequels and spoofs, that opening is still very effective. 

Jurassic Park - This would be the first one for me. I can still remember squeezing my Dads arm when the T-Rex first roared and being amazed by it. It still stands as one of my favourite films ever.

Lion King - Not sure what to say other than how epic it felt. 

Toy Story - Something totally different in the animation world in both look and storytelling. The beginning of a perfect trilogy.

All LOTR films -  A masterpiece blockbuster trilogy, even with the multiple endings. Epic in scale with wonderful characters, memorable moments that still get a reactions out of me to this day and an amazing soundtrack.

Inception - Loved the concept and execution and remember the groan (not in a bad way) and "fuck sakes" from the audience at the ending. Brilliant stuff.

The Dark Knight - I love this film, especially The Joker (how can you not love Ledgers portrayal) and it still remains one of the only films I've ever seen more than once in the cinema.

Avengers: Infinity War - A 10 year project finally coming to fruition in what is easily the best MCU film. It's was just such a joy to watch having followed this all from the start and I loved it.

Hmmmm.

Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Spy Who loved me (pushing the definition of truly great, but one of the definitive Bond movies)

Life of Brian (I also saw Holy Grail at the cinema, but not on the original run, I don't think).

Conan the Barbarian

Brazil

Ghostbusters

Aliens

Top Gun

Big Trouble in Little China

1 hour ago, Commander Jameson said:

My first ever cinema experience was Star Wars. I was not prepared for that opening.

Word, bro; I don't think anything else - with the exception of the Bladerunner opening scenes - had me so awestruck.

I used to finish college at 12pm on Fridays back in 96-98 and used to go to the cinema afterwards most weeks (back when new films were out on Fridays) so went to the first screening of loads of films back then, and often had the cinema to myself or with just a couple of other people, favourites include, Con Air, Air Force One, The Fifth Element, Matilda, and Star Trek First Contact.

The first film I can remember seeing was The Wrath of Khan with my dad and I have been a Trekkie ever since.

Apparently I was taken to see Star Wars, Superman and Watership Down before this but have no memory of them at all at the cinema.  The first SW film I remember watching  was Empire on our new video recorder in the early 80's.

6 hours ago, linkster said:

I was working at the Mirror at the time it was being previewed and most of my department went on comp tickets cos they literally couldn’t give them away, the ‘common’ wisdom was the Robocop guy had totally fucked up 

100% I was a junior at Disney when they decided to do a Starship Troopers New Years party. I was literally making coffees and they were like "do you want 50 tickets?"

Lots of the 80s kids' films - Empire and Jedi, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future etc.

Other ones that are especially memorable where I was just at the right age to see them legitimately:

Batman when I was 12

Terminator 2 when I was 15

Pulp Fiction when I was 18

Pulp Fiction was a big one, actually. I knew nothing about it, except it was directed by the Reservoir Dogs guy, but I hadn't seen that. Really had no idea what to expect and was blown away by it. Was probably my favourite film for years after. It was a lot weirder than I expected, but just an amazing experience.

The limited run of Akira was also a good one, when Anime/Manga was still an unknown quantity. I remember seeing a clip of it on some documentary about Japanese culture and thinking it looked amazing. And then it turned up at the uni arts centre.

And finally, not on release but I did watch a triple bill of Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 one sunny Saturday not long after 3 came out.