Streets of Rage IV - PS4 / XB1 / PC / Switch - Out Now!

On 24/09/2018 at 09:10, Down by Law said:

Axel seems a little over animated but Blaze looks fantastic :wub:

Would be amazing if they did actually release retro versions of SOR4 on retro platforms, each being different and making the most of the respective hardware.

4 hours ago, mr_woo said:

Well let me help you feel better

I mean that track is better, but IMO still OK. doesn't reach the heights of hardcoreness in SOR1-3. It's like SOR ultralite or SOR tunes made for elevators. Or maybe I'm old now and can no longer feel anything :-)

I think maybe a bit of both.

I'm super pumped for SOR4, especially since there's talk of updating with modern fighting mechanics like juggles, parries etc... As much as I love brawlers, they are a genre that got left behind and have not aged well, so it'll be good to see what the developers can do.

I'm unsure whether to pick up The Takeover on Switch as it looks nice and flashy, but I really struggle with supporting Indies when they basically rip off their source of inspiration. IMO indies should be all about innovation, rather than creating homages. I'll just play the originals, thanks. (On that note, I'm not even sure I like indies making t-shirts/poster with their version of other company's IPs, but that's a thread for another day).

That said, the incorporation of handguns into a The Takeover is quite clever, solving the issue of why heroes would take on a city of crime with only bare fists. Dunno if anyone played Raging Justice but that had a nice arrest mechanic too.

Anyway, SOR4 is a Day One purchase for me.

• 2 months later...

Still think it's looking good. Wall bounces and juggles makes for some interesting gameplay.

It has to be playable from start to finish in about an hour though. I mean, that's key to this becoming a replayable co-op classic.

It's looking pretty amazing to be honest, love the tag team juggling etc, what a great addition to SOR.

The art direction is a million miles better than The Takeover.. which is just utterly horrible.

Hope they drop in a new version of this

Although I was initially quite impressed by what I've seen from SoR IV so far, I must say that after having played Sonic Mania again the other day, I think you just can't beat polished luscious pixel art for that true retro feeling. Wish Whitehead and his team had done SoR IV tbh. But hey, at least it's coming.

• 2 months later...

Big chunk of off screen gameplay here

I'm sold on the artstyle completely now. It looks excellent in motion, even though the guys playing arent much cop. Love the reflections in the rain puddles and the neon lights. Really cool. 

Looks good. Some nice subtle things going on such as the slow motion attacks, screen zoom and some interactive elements. I also like the lighting going on and the general style.

My biggest concern was this being a retread but it looks like it'll be a good addition and hopefully show some different sides to the city,but retaining that sense of a 'journey to the top'.

I also only watched the first few seconds, do want my first play through to be begin territory, but everything about the animations, walking included, looked to be consistent with the original games. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...