Streets of Rage IV - DLC on the way

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2020 at 17:35, Myshkin said:

i spent ages deeciding between the normal and red variants. then reaalised maybe both? i mean why not. it's amazing.

EDIT: $39 for shipping. thanks but I'm out.

Only just peeked in again, but you could also expect £14 on customs for seizing your delivery, then the VAT on top. 

If there was an EU outlet for these I'd probably be tempted to pay the already silly prices on them, but I despise paying customs. Especially that surcharge they slap on simply for holding your parcel, it's practically robbery.

• 5 weeks later...

Came back to this after starting out on Hard with Blaze and getting comprehensively owned on the Chinatown level so badly that I put the game down for 9 months. Started again last week on Normal with Cherry and blasted through the stages for the most part, albeit completely forgetting about using specials (don't ask), then playing through on Normal again with Axel and trying to use specials more (I'm still terrible with defensive specials) and now I'm back on Hard.

Except I forgot to play on Story Mode and instead did stages 7-11 via Stage Select (which has no assists available), and somehow managed to get to the final stage with A/B ranks mostly, but that section in the castle with all the fat bastards is a nightmare, so I'm now replaying stages 7-11 via Story Mode because I'm going to be needing assists to get through. It's fun but those taser cops can get to fuck.

Has anyone here managed to complete Arcade mode on Hard with one credit? It seems faintly out of reach, especially as I have no idea how to deal with certain bosses (Shiva in a pain, and I have no idea how to dodge Mister Y's bullets) but I'm slowly getting better at it, so I'm going to stick at it. First order of the day is to finish Hard mode with Blaze, play through with the other SoR4 characters (Floyd and Adam) and then to go back and try to S rank the stages. Maybe.

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Has anyone here managed to complete Arcade mode on Hard with one credit? It seems faintly out of reach, especially as I have no idea how to deal with certain bosses (Shiva in a pain, and I have no idea how to dodge Mister Y's bullets) but I'm slowly getting better at it, so I'm going to stick at it. First order of the day is to finish Hard mode with Blaze, play through with the other SoR4 characters (Floyd and Adam) and then to go back and try to S rank the stages. Maybe.

Just practice - boss rush is great for getting good strategies down and managing crowd control. The key to all modes is big combos. Big combos = higher ranks and more lives making thing much easier. Don't forget the blitz move (forward forward attack) Blaze's is great as it bounces enemies off the floor and you can jump, down+ attack them twice (and a 3rd time with her air special, enemy dependent) to keep combos going. 

Although you get points for held star moves at the end of the level, they are always worth using to hold onto a big combo. The return from combo rates vs the 500 points you get for hanging on to them is usually always worth sacrificing.

The way I did it was beat the game on normal, then boss rush to completion, then did another normal, hard , hardest and mania mode with the other 4 characters, to unlock the hidden characters, then do all S rank's on hard, then arcade mode last. According to the PS5 i have 85 hours of playtime so it's not easy, but it's challenging and always fun. For some players it will take way longer to get the 500,000 points, but I got that long before I unlocked everything else. For reference it took 66 hours to Platinum Bloodborne. So yeah it's pretty difficult if you want to go for 100% completion.

On 08/01/2021 at 06:22, Talvalin said:

Came back to this after starting out on Hard with Blaze and getting comprehensively owned on the Chinatown level so badly that I put the game down for 9 months. Started again last week on Normal with Cherry and blasted through the stages for the most part, albeit completely forgetting about using specials (don't ask), then playing through on Normal again with Axel and trying to use specials more (I'm still terrible with defensive specials) and now I'm back on Hard.

Except I forgot to play on Story Mode and instead did stages 7-11 via Stage Select (which has no assists available), and somehow managed to get to the final stage with A/B ranks mostly, but that section in the castle with all the fat bastards is a nightmare, so I'm now replaying stages 7-11 via Story Mode because I'm going to be needing assists to get through. It's fun but those taser cops can get to fuck.

What are the assists you are referring to?

• 2 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed my time with this but I'm quite shit at it. I'm on the final stage with Axel on Normal, and it seems to me at least like a huge difficulty spike. After only having to repeat a level a few times beforehand, I've had maybe 15 runs at it, including with maximum assists, and I've made it to what I assume is the last iteration of the final boss but get trounced pretty quickly (I also invariably chew through my lives in the section where you fight the endless stream of fat blokes). I feel like there's some element of the combat I'm missing? 

Anyway, I'm on the verge of giving up. Can anyone persuade me to keep going/give me some tips for the final stage?  

Watch some combo videos. They're ridiculous, but you can easily steal the low hanging fruit from them, which usually means working out how to bounce enemies off the ground so you can beat on them a bit more. For enemies where it's hard to get that first hit in, this lets you really maximise the damage you can do when you manage to get a hit in.

For Axel, that's doing his jump special, which also covers a lot of ground. Blaze, her double-tap forward attack. Cherry, her offensive special. Floyd, jump special again.

I can't do the ridiculous 50+ hit combos from the videos, but I can reliably hit someone a bit, bounce them off the ground, hit them some more then maybe use a Star Attack. Great for beating bosses, particularly hard to hit ones like the Ys.

Other more standard SOR stuff - use throws to keep the enemy on one side of you, guard food and don't use it until you need it, learn to trick out of enemy throws. One thing to watch out for in SOR4 is that there seem to be some areas that can scroll before you've beaten all the enemies, and they often have food right at the far right-hand end. I never realise they scroll, and sometimes lose a life while beating the enemies only to find empty screens with food after I've finished up. I think the Fat Guy bit on the final level might be one of these.

Make sure when the stage starts you keep the combo going as long as possible to recover all the green health you start with.

When you get to the run up to the gate, gently scroll forward defeating enemies as you go. If you keep pushing right many enemies will spawn and it'll make it difficult to manage.

Make sure you smash the bikes as there's health items under them

When you enter the castle smash the armour, grab the sword and cut the rope when the kickboxer is under the chandelier

On the next rope cut it when the knife wielding galsias move under it. 

Neutral jump when you fight the robot and he does the triple jump attack to ensure you dont take damage

The best advice I can give for the fat guys is throw throw and throw some more, you can't take damage when throwing.

Move out the way immediately when they get up as they do a roll which knocks you down straight away.

I think they patched out the big wrecking ball that used to be in there but if not jump kick that wherever possible.

Don't be afraid to use your star move and don't forget to neutral jump and kick them on the way down, you can given catch them in the forward special blitz and juggle them for loads of damage if you managed to catch em all in the star move

Good luck !

I was fairly shite at it as well but loved my play through. I ended up playing with Cherry and found her running knee attack very useful to spam when fighting tough enemies. Helps to keep the combos going and can pass through enemy attacks a lot of the time.

Still had to opt for max lives on the final level. Just managed to hang on at the very end with the tiniest amount of health left.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played through this game eight times now, and I'm still not bored with it. It's fantastic.

However, I'm a little disappointed in my last playthrough. I decided to play as SOR1 Axel, and I also upped the difficulty to Hard, in preparation for tackling the two tough-looking achievements. Turns out this guy has no special "Y" moves, and I assume to compensate for this, they've given him a couple of boosts in other departments. He seems to have a fairly long reach, and deals more damage? Anyway, using this "limited" character, I'm destroying my previous scores from easier difficulties. I've even managed to defeat a couple of bosses without getting touched once. It seems a shame that this character, who doesn't use a significant part of the game's mechanics, seems to be the one best suited to play it with.

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

To be honest I found it a little boring playing with those characters, even if they were very effective.

Have you managed to S rank any of the stages on Hard yet?

Two so far, police precinct and... one other, can't remember, might've been art gallery.

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing this again recently, they've rebalanced lots of things since launch!

I swear weapons do more damage now, and the end level is tons harder. Now that the soundtrack has bedded into my brain and has that familiarity buzz... I think it's the not only the best streets of rage gameplay but also the best soundtrack.

I found this very amusing (if you can get past his shouty YouTube persona). He can't help dancing constantly haha

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

Been playing this again recently, they've rebalanced lots of things since launch!

I swear weapons do more damage now, and the end level is tons harder. Now that the soundtrack has bedded into my brain and has that familiarity buzz... I think it's the not only the best streets of rage gameplay but also the best soundtrack.

I found this very amusing (if you can get past his shouty YouTube persona). He can't help dancing constantly haha

You got to admire his enthusiasm made me chuckle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Pob changed the title to Streets of Rage IV - DLC on the way