Playmaji's Polymega

• 9 months later...

Beta build review just gone up. Expected to cost in excess of £500 depending on bundle but for those sorts of prices I'd expect a controller with a decent Dpad at least:

Ah, fuck... pre-ordered.

out of the box, $300 for the base unit, the cd machine emulation alone, means saving space. Or more specifically wear and tear on fragile lasers. I’ll still have the fuckers out on display! :blah:

and the promised 32x emulation on the MD module saves an easy £100+ trying to buy one. 

and...

and...

oh, but the market value of the same machines will plummet. Not the games. They’ll rise. Just the hardware.

also: will there be an Amstrad GX4000 module? 

image.jpeg.f712c98133e31e44d631e97c6beb5dd3.jpeg

That guy moans about not being able to have digital and analogue input available at the same time on the Saturn games. Yeah, well that's because you can't have digital and analogue input at the same time on a Saturn. It's not the emulator.

Also, he says you can't have analogue on the NeoGeo CD emulator - well guess why.

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

It’ll allow you to use real discs and carts.

my pc allows me to use Saturn and mega cd disks too

What is this doing differently to a pc?

2 hours ago, ulala said:

my pc allows me to use Saturn and mega cd disks too

What is this doing differently to a pc?

You could say this about almost any modern reinterpretation or clone of an old console.

Will this play the games my friend from primary schools uncle who worked for Nintendo got from the secret lab where they were working with sega to make the Super Segadrive?

16 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

You could say this about almost any modern reinterpretation or clone of an old console.

well not quite...

Its not the same as the official mini consoles from nintendo, sega etc

Yes they are still emulation, but they are still sprinkled with Nintendo and Sega magic.

Its not the same as the Analogue  made FGPA consoles and their hardware emulation (or even the MiStEr). This was the initial goal of the Polomega until they decided they couldn't do it and went back to software emulation.

I have a PC running Mednafen right now, had it for years. I can put an orginal cd in the disk tray and the emulator runs it. I play with a usb joypad.

This is exactly what the Polymega is doing, running Mednafen of all things. Its a pc in a fancy box.

If you have a cart based system, it doesnt play the cart like an FPGA console, it rips the cart using a rom reader and plays the rom - exactly like the Retron 5 from Hyperkin. And you have to pay big money for that privilege. As much as the Super NT console itself probably, just to play a rom on a pc that cost £350 that you cant use as a pc.

19 hours ago, Camel said:

Um. Allows you to use real carts.

Yes but each system “elemental module” costs an additional $59.99 and as @ulala pointed out, it just rips the carts and stores them on the device. 

I can sort of see the point of it if you’re a collector of early CD-Rom based systems, but is there really that big an audience of people with massive collections of Neo Geo CD, PC Engine CD, Sega CD, Saturn, PSX? Maybe if you’re a big fan of the Saturn or PSX, it gives you an HD unit to play your games from, but it does feel like a bit of an expensive Frankenstein by having to buy individual modules to play each cart console, for the system just to rip them and then store them on a hard disk. You’d be just as well installing the rom images for all the faff (and cost). 

2 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Yes but each system “elemental module” costs an additional $59.99 and as @ulala pointed out, it just rips the carts and stores them on the device. 

I can sort of see the point of it if you’re a collector of early CD-Rom based systems, but is there really that big an audience of people with massive collections of Neo Geo CD, PC Engine CD, Sega CD, Saturn, PSX? Maybe if you’re a big fan of the Saturn or PSX, it gives you an HD unit to play your games from, but it does feel like a bit of an expensive Frankenstein by having to buy individual modules to play each cart console, for the system just to rip them and then store them on a hard disk. You’d be just as well installing the rom images for all the faff (and cost). 

Ripping the disks and storing in internal memory then running from the iso is actually advertised as a feature!

It "saves ware and tare" on your original disks apparently, defeating the whole point of this thing.

Getting a cd emulator to run on your PC is a bit of a faff really, so i can understand why this device is interesting. 

But the price is massive and its still software emulation on a PC that we have all had and been enjoying for years.

It's a beautiful bit of hardware but yes, I can run al those systems games with the appropriate aftermarket or real pad on my 2013 iMac using OpenEmu (which is also just a nice wrapper for mednafen). Granted I'd rather be on the couch in front of my TV with a wireless pad, but that seems a rather expensive privilege via the Polymega..

I still want one – it looks a wonderfully convenient and sexy not-quite-all-in-one , but in terms of actually playing games properly I'm much more interested in original hardware enhancing accessories like the Everdrive and Satiator. 

I've been lusting over this - for the cuteness and ease of use, but decided I can wait based on this:

What will probably flip me to buy it - they're teasing a lightgun, based on the Sinden. If I can pop in Time Crisis, Virtua Cop or Point Blank and play those on a projector screen then I'll be game heaven!

I'd LOVE to play House of the Dead, and all my other Dreamcast games. They've been cagey about DC emulation - not sure if that's because that's a license or a hardware grunt thing.
Anyone have an idea if the hardware could handle it?

This console is going to make the Neo Geo CD format useable for the first time for me.  I could never get on with the loading times, for things like Last Blade and KOF 98 it would literally take minutes between rounds.

Being able to play official SNK products on a console with little to no loading is what convinced me to part with my money.  I looked into Neo Geo AES a while back but it's too expensive to build up a nice library of games.

I've since been able to get a little library together (below) that I wanted for Polymega, many of the tiles sell for £20-40, but things like Big Tournament Golf are expensive.

Big Tournament Golf. 

Metal Slug. 

Metal Slug 2. 

Last Blade.

Last Blade 2.

King of Fighters 96.

King of Fighters 98. 

Ninja Commando. 

Sengoku 2. 

Magical Drop 2. 

Crossed Swords 2.

Flying Power Disk.

Last Hope. 

Viewpoint.

Baseball Stars 2. 

League Bowling. 

King of the Monsters 2. 

Last Resort. 

Mutation Nation. 

Super Sidekicks 3. 

I hope they make the light gun available for purchase soon so I can finally play my copies of Virtua Cop, House of the Dead and Point Blank on my OLED and it certainly looks like the perfect device for someone like me who doesn't want to fiddle around with a DIY solution and also be able to rip my entire 16-bit and 32-bit collection to the PolyMega SSD.

28 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

You know a large number of those are available on switch? 

But he owns the games so surely its better to play those than spend loads of money on digital copies?

2 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Yeah but if it’s going to be emulated anyways and he has a switch, the emulated ACA versions would run to a lot less than the polymega pc in a box. 

I had near 100 of them in my PSStore wish list.

And they’re £5.79 each....

#JustSaying

@blakeboogie If you're interested in the Neo Geo, I suggest you have a look at "The MiSTer Project", I see someone mentioned it earlier. I don't know the Neo CD library terribly well but I am becoming more familiar with the cartridge Neo Geo library through the MiSTer. I gather there are very few differences apart from soundtracks, the notable exception being the extra course on Neo Turf Masters. The MiSTer could work out a hell of a lot cheaper, and is capable of doing all the cartridge based systems the Polymega does, as well as lots of 8-bit & 16-bit computers as well as arcade machines. It's a bit more of a "DIY machine", but that's half the fun!

• 3 months later...

Interesting marketing video, worthy of John Hancock himself ;)

Things that i took away from it....

Cannot install roms or use everdrives on the cart based units - because they will want to eventually sell you the games via an online store later.

However you can install CD based gamed from a copied CDR! 

Games have to be in it's (admittedly large) database for you to play. If its not there, no play. Whats the reason behind this?

Controllers have the same lag as a "Snes Classic".

They are quite snobby about the MiSTer, saying it cannot play saturn games. 

I'm sure it has a user-base, even at the very high price, but the change from FPGA to basically being PC hardware and running the software emulators we can all use, meant that i'm probably not the user it is being aimed at.

53 minutes ago, ulala said:

Interesting marketing video, worthy of John Hancock himself ;)

Things that i took away from it....

Cannot install roms or use everdrives on the cart based units - because they will want to eventually sell you the games via an online store later.

However you can install CD based gamed from a copied CDR! 

Games have to be in it's (admittedly large) database for you to play. If its not there, no play. Whats the reason behind this?

Controllers have the same lag as a "Snes Classic".

They are quite snobby about the MiSTer, saying it cannot play saturn games. 

I'm sure it has a user-base, even at the very high price, but the change from FPGA to basically being PC hardware and running the software emulators we can all use, meant that i'm probably not the user it is being aimed at.

games on the database so it finds and runs the rom, not the cart, maybe?  Cart is just a legality?