Jump to content

Succession - Sky Atlantic/HBO


Recommended Posts

I'd agree about episode two, but I thought one was great. Loads going on.

 

Have just finished episode six (second time around), 'Which Side Are You On?' Unbearably tense. So good. And great comic relief from Wambsgans and cousin Greg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dapple said:

I'd agree about episode two, but I thought one was great. Loads going on.

 

Have just finished episode six (second time around), 'Which Side Are You On?' Unbearably tense. So good. And great comic relief from Wambsgans and cousin Greg.

Don’t get me wrong neither episode are bad in anyway, but compared to the rest of the show - especially season two, they are just not quite as brilliant as the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2020 at 08:13, Gotters said:

This may be the most cringe thing outside the UK Office

 

 

I just watched this episode today; I had to watch this scene on mute. The cringe is real.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the only show where I don’t skip the opening credits so I am listening to the theme 3 or 4 times a night at the moment. I obviously knew that Jesse Armstrong had written Peep Show but I hadn’t been aware until last night that he also wrote what I think is the best episode of Black Mirror, “The Entire History of You”. Talented guy.

 

There was a member of this forum who used to have a signature that said “Watch Breaking Bad, Watch Breaking Bad, Watch Breakining Bad”. Tempted to do the same for this - it’s that good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mercury said:

This is the only show where I don’t skip the opening credits so I am listening to the theme 3 or 4 times a night at the moment. I obviously knew that Jesse Armstrong had written Peep Show but I hadn’t been aware until last night that he also wrote what I think is the best episode of Black Mirror, “The Entire History of You”. Talented guy.

 

There was a member of this forum who used to have a signature that said “Watch Breaking Bad, Watch Breaking Bad, Watch Breakining Bad”. Tempted to do the same for this - it’s that good.


Jesse Armstrong is one of the UK's unsung geniuses. He wrote the best Black Mirror by a mile.

Its really clear which episodes of this he had a hand in, and the ones where the americans took over. I love this show, but boy does it go awry often...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:


Jesse Armstrong is one of the UK's unsung geniuses. He wrote the best Black Mirror by a mile.

Its really clear which episodes of this he had a hand in, and the ones where the americans took over. I love this show, but boy does it go awry often...

 

Nah, it's gold throughout.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very good show, but the guy playing Tom always seems like he's acting in a different show altogether. And it's not a better one.

 

Any word on a new series?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Timmo said:

 

Nah, it's gold throughout.


I thought season 2 was a massive drop off personally. Padded. And most of all, the characters all act incredibly stupidly and betray themselves often. Still a great show but it was nowhere near as strong as season 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:


I thought season 2 was a massive drop off personally. Padded. And most of all, the characters all act incredibly stupidly and betray themselves often. Still a great show but it was nowhere near as strong as season 1.

Season 2's twice as good as Season 1. And isn't it literally the point that the characters are stupid and betray themselves?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

And isn't it literally the point that the characters are stupid and betray themselves?

 

No?

I'm glad you liked it. I liked it too. Just a lot less than 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Season 2's twice as good as Season 1. And isn't it literally the point that the characters are stupid and betray themselves?

My feelings exactly, season one is merely just very good, while season two is fucking amazing from beginning to end.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im rewatching S1 and after Toms bachelor party when Connor asks him aboy swallowing his own load and Tom says:

 

" its like i didnt cheat because my sperm never left my body like a closed loop system" :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 2 is where the show really takes off and explores its themes in more depth, it's by no means worse than season 1 - it's where the show really becomes a masterpiece.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Isaac said:

Season 2 is where the show really takes off and explores its themes in more depth, it's by no means worse than season 1 - it's where the show really becomes a masterpiece.


Season 2 is where the characters become slaves to the themes and events. Its a huge fall from grace. They all act like the same idiot, not even different idiots, just the same idiot, waiting for the next plot point to direct them.

I enjoyed it, but it won't age well. 

I also remember people telling me "Game of Thrones season 7 is amazing, you loon!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Finished Season 2 last night and it is up there with the best season finales. I loved the parallels between the opening scene of Ep1 and closing scene of Ep10 with Kendall being taken to do a press conference he didn’t want to do but with very different outcomes. I also love how Gregg has changed this season - the bit in the last episode with him talking about the Rose not being his favourite champagne showing how much he has been seduced. In a show full of outstanding performances, Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong really have nailed it this season. Can’t wait for the next one.

 

PS - the Kendall rap scene will stay with me forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Started this and finding it really compulsive. It's so good. It's definitely wonderfully jarring seeing a lavish American show that has such a British style of writing and humour. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some scenes are very The Thick Of It-esque where it looks like the actors have been improvising it or are rolling off eachothers lines. Its so ace.

 

I feel so sorry for Shivs husband Tom :(

Shes so sexy but shes really ashitting on him emotionally.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished season 1. Incredible stuff, so many great performances. I can't remember the last time I was so engrossed in a series. 

 

 

It's really interesting reading US critics who didn't seem to immediately get what this is for a few episodes (in some cases, at all). It's the specifically British-style satire/cringe DNA that they are very unfamiliar with outside of the somewhat watered down version of it that is Veep, so didn't pick up right away, I guess? If you're expecting a straightfoward prestige drama I suppose you'd be unsure what to make of it. 

 

I saw one professional critic who said Billions was similar but far better, ffs :hmm:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm almost in awe at how great this is. It goes from

 

the broken shambling husk of Kendall destroying his pet project for the love of his domineering, dismissive and manipulative father.. to a brilliant punchline that involves the words 'techno gatsby'.

 

 

That should not be possible but it works so well. Brilliant writing and acting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deerokus said:

I'm almost in awe at how great this is. It goes from

  Reveal hidden contents

the broken shambling husk of Kendall destroying his pet project for the love of his domineering, dismissive and manipulative father.. to a brilliant punchline that involves the words 'techno gatsby'.

 

 

That should not be possible but it works so well. Brilliant writing and acting. 


Yeah it’s fucking fantastic!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The main cast have done a really interesting and funny interview with Variety, well worth watching, but there are story spoilers, so only watch if you are upto date with the show:

 

 

Edit, just realised with is from June, apologies if already posted. Not sure why this has only now popped up in my feed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Strong work at the Emmys:

 

Outstanding Drama Series

Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series

OUtstanding Directing for a Drama Series

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series

 

And Jeremy Strong won Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

 

 

He's adorably serious and earnest :wub: I also love his ridiculous neckerchief.

 

Waiting for the next season is unbearable

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.