Sign in to follow this  
neoELITE

League 1, 2, Non League Football 2018-19 Season

10 hours ago, Fatsam said:

top of the fucking league

giphy.gif

Pretty shit on Tuesday when we beat Hartlepool, but we were ace today in our 3-1 win against a not bad Gateshead. There were good performances all over the pitch, we were composed in possession, generally moved the ball well,   and we were dead organised, quickly closing down the opposition without the ball. We were great. 

Yep, you must be promotion favourites along with Leyton - should be quite a battle! 

We managed to scrape a 1:0 v Dagenham but once again the visitors managed the task of dragging us down to their level, and, having put on the usual speedy late subs, were unlucky not to equalise with their sustained pressure in the last 10 minutes or so.  We can play well (i.e passing football) as the first half v Chesterfield and the 2nd v Salford showed, but we seem unable to impose our game at times.  Also, the lack of a recognised striker will cost us for sure.  So I reckon this is about as good as it will get in the league this year and we must aim for a good Trophy run and the 3rd round of the FA cup - Slough Town at home in that Saturday.

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 09:48, Cosmic_Guru said:

Yep, you must be promotion favourites along with Leyton - should be quite a battle! 

Salford are strong, have the best form in the league after a slow start and will spend big in January. They're rightly still the clear bookies favourite.

Ordinarily I'd say our chances of winning the league are pretty slim, but we do have a deeper squad than previous years and the resources available to strengthen in January too because of Danny Ward's transfer to Leicester, so I'd say we are contenders. Just a shame we didn't have this side last season when the league was weaker at the top.

Our midfield 3 looked very strong on Saturday. If we can keep that combo of Young, Summerfield, and Walker playing together as much as possible then that will help us. Although Brad Walker's loan runs out in January so than might be an issue. Summerfield is hugely important too, so we don't want him getting injured either.

I'd love a nice run in the FA Cup after doing sod all in the competition for 4 years. We've got Weston Super Mare away on Saturday, so have a good chance of being in bag for the second round. 

Oh yeah, I'd imagine plenty of clubs have taken note of how well Sam Ricketts is doing. He talks and acts like a manager from a higher level too so there's certainly a danger of him getting nabbed, which could disrupt us a fair bit.

Anyone go to any of the cup matches yesterday?

We beat Stevenage in the 94th minute. There were 10 minutes added on to the second half due to a nasty looking injury to one of the Stevenage players. 

The game was incredibly frustrating. I'm not used to seeing sides turn up and park the bus against us (considering we're in the bottom 4 of League 1). We had so much possession that it was actually quite boring and the very few attacks Stevenage had fizzled out before they got near the goal. We had 15 attempts to Stevenage's 2. It was very one sided and a result of 4, 5 or 6-0 would not have flattered us. I don't really blame Stevenage to be honest as they came for a draw and they weren't anywhere near our standard - there is a gulf between League 1 and 2 and that was apparent. We just didn't finish any of the chances we had and really should have romped into the second round. 

Into round 2 though and I am hopeful we'll get one of the minnows at home and then draw a big club in round 3. Knowing our luck this season, we'll draw Sunderland away.

All the highlights are here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/fa-cup/video

7 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Anyone go to any of the cup matches yesterday?

Yes, Sutton Utd 0: Slough Town ("the rebels") 0

I hope no-one stayed up for the TV highlights of this.  Only one team seemed confident enough to play their game and fight for the right to go through to the next round and they weren't in amber & chocolate*.  I can only think the financial situation at the club is getting serious, and the players were extremely nervous not to fail.  As mentioned before, we have no fit centre forward at all and our 2 most forward attackers on the field were ineffective and both got substituted, leaving a (bandaged) centre half up front for the last 20 minutes or so, much to the extreme frustration of the crowd. Conditions were atrocious with frequent downpours, but affected both sides.  Slough had an appeal for the ball over the line on the other end which I had no view of but had a good sight at a tap in which was hit into the ground and a lucky escape for us. Our crosses and few attempts went high wide and handsome all afternoon.  Terrible showing, unclear tactics, no name it.  Our number 10 has now been called up for Kenya in the inter-lull so we have even fewer forward options for the trip to Gateshead and the Slough replay.  Soaked on walk home completed the misery.  

* incidentally Slough's home colours, same kit manufacturer too

The FA Cup. The ref robbed Notts County a clear penalty there. At 1-2, they were on top and I think a penalty would have turned this game. We had three clear penalty claims against Sunderland and got none. I think sometimes, the refs are in awe of reffing a "Premier" League club. whenever I see pope for Port Vale, he's man of the match. Why he hasn't gone up the leagues is beyond me. I'd love him up front for my team. 

I am getting sick of Sunderland getting all the decisions. they remind me of Man Utd under Fergie.

I hope they just go up again as their fans are arrogant as fuck too. I spoke to lots of them after we played them and they were all the same. The apparently don't belong in League 1. When you get relegated from The Championship, you do. that's what happens.

Managed to see Beavon put us 2-0 up and safely though in my break at work today. Just watched the nice goal from Summerfield on the highlights,

Sounds like a solid professional job from us.

We're in the bag.

• Upvote 1

Newport are about as unglamorous as it can get, and will be tricky opponents,  but we are at home against them and it's winnable. Remember Amond up front for them  being pretty useful when I've seen him before.There's the two welsh clubs element and their supporters have a high percentage of knuckle draggers so I'd imagine that there will be a bit of bite to the atmosphere. Last time we played them they beat us in the playoff final and I stood and watched them lift the trophy to the sound of Paradise by Coldplay. This could go someway to getting that god awful experience out of my system. Pease win Wrexham.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Wrexham vs Newport is a banker to be televised. 

I wouldn't say banker, but there's a half decent chance there of a National League side beating league opposition plus the welsh factor, so maybe. 

Just now, Fatsam said:

I wouldn't say banker, but there's a half decent chance there of a National League side beating league opposition plus the welsh factor, so maybe. 

Compared to the other draws, it will be. There aren't many non-League sides left in. It'll be a good January transfer window bonus for your promotion push. I can't see it not being on TV. 

• Upvote 1

Oldham deserved to win given the first half chances but I felt sorry for Hampton and Richmond - they were leading for a long, long time but Oldham snook two late goals to go through. I was quite impressed with the Hampton number 2 - he looked quality.

Pretty much yeah.

Oldham were the better side, but it was harsh for Hampton and Richmond to completely throw it away right at the end.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Even if not picked up by BBC or BT, it'll probably be on S4C.

Probably.

Then you can all enjoy us twatting them in Welsh. Even better.

17 hours ago, neoELITE said:

@Chawkso - Plymouth Argyle vs Oxford United or Forest Green.

Wrexham vs Newport is a banker to be televised. 

Suspect you might be facing off against Forest Green based on our first performance against them. Woeful. Just looked like no-one was really interested, no urgency to our play.

We've gone from seemingly not conceding any goals, but struggling to score, to going 3 up against Scunny then it somehow ending up 3-3! So at the moment we're consistently inconsistent.

Injuries really starting to mount up though, first team players currently out: Obika (done for the season), Hall (done for the season), Holmes (can't play more than a couple of games without missing one due to existing injury), Baptiste (dislocated shoulder and op), Mackie (not sure), McMahon (cracked ribs), Garbutt (hamstring), Browne (recurring knee problem), Curruthers (needs an op, out ofr 12 weeks), Ruffels (minor I think), and Whyte has been called up to the NI team. So I have no idea what team is going to be cobbled together for Gillingham at the weekend, maybe give some of the U23 team a run out.

Also some rumours that Nile bloody Ranger is training with us, no thanks - I don't want him anywhere near our club.

• Empathy 1

Nile Ranger..... I'd rather play with 10 men. I feel for you with the injuries. That's why, in part, we started so badly. Lose 3 or 4 key players and most League 1 sides are in trouble.

You were right neoELITE

FRIDAY 30 NOVEMBER 2018
Solihull Moors v Blackpool (7.55pm) – Live on BBC Two

SATURDAY 1 DECEMBER 2018
Morecambe or FC Halifax Town v AFC Wimbledon (12.30pm) – Live on BT Sport 1
Wrexham v Newport County (8.00pm) – Live on BT Sport 1

MONDAY 3 DECEMBER 2018
Guiseley v Fleetwood Town (8.00pm) – Live on BT Sport 1

Perfect slot for me too.

I couldn't have gone if it was on the Friday and evening games under the floodlights are always best.

4-0 down at half time yesterday away at Luton. 

This from one of our travelling fans.

Shockingly inept performance from every Argyle player in the first 45 minutes- one of the worst I have seen in 25 years watching Argyle home and away. Embarrassing to watch that , did not stay for second half- never left a game at half time before today. 

Apparently we completely dominated the first half against Maidstone, but didn't create enough and missed a golden opportunity to take the lead. Second half Maidstone improved and scored which we swiftly responded to with a deflected equaliser. Their form had picked up recently and an away point on plastic is always a valuable point, but to not turn our first half display into a victory is mildly disappointing I suppose. HUGE game against Leyton Orient at home on Saturday. Should be a good 'un.

Sam Ricketts is way out as front runner to take over the Shrewsbury job with the bookies so presumably a bit of money has gone on him. He has said that he has had no contact with them though and is dead happy at Wrexham so it sounds like wasted money.

Hopefully.

Sutton's dismal home form continues with a 0:1 defeat to Maidenhead who have lost their last n games, where n is at least 4.

We have apparently solved our striking problem by recalling Craig Dundas from loan (put himself about a bit) and signing, probably on loan, 2 youngsters, one with the build of a young Ian Wright but without the speed. I don't recall the Maidenhead keeper being required to make a save.

More moans about cash in the programme suggest a few more squad departures are being lined up too, so a steady slide down the table is predicted by your correspondent.  I don't know if the budget was overoptimistic in the first place (always assume you get knocked out in the first round of cups was the mantra the Watford FC accountant once told me), the travel to Scotland and Ireland was probably a net cost despite the subvention,  the month with zero cash flow from home games obviously didn't help either, but whatever the underlying cause we seem to be real difficulty this year.

Tight game against Leyton Orient without a million clear cut  chances which I reckon we edged for the first 80 minutes coming closer to scoring and playing some excellent football in patches. They then score from a corner and win the game. A daft defensive error gave them a second and they stay top of the league. So it is encouraging to know that there was not much at all between the sides even if the score line doesn't reflect that. Clearly looking at the number of goals scored this season we could do with sticking one or two more away, but some forward called Bobby Grant has signed from from Fleetwood today  who might help out in that department. 

Great to see a properly decent away support of over 600. Not a bad atmosphere too. If we are going to lose to someone in the tile race I'd obviously rather it was Leyton Orient than Salford. A strong looking side too who played some good threatening stuff in the second half. The only thing that tarnished an enjoyable game of football was their unnecessary falling to and rolling around on the floor in the first half which the ref ignored thankfully. Their bench celebrated like they'd won promotion too when their goals went in. I know it was big game, but it was hugely over the top and a bit weird. But then their manager is Justin Edinburgh, who's always seemed like a bit of a cock, which goes someway to explain it.

On 24/11/2018 at 18:56, Coltrane said:

Another away win for Pompey and extended our lead to 4 points at the top. Let's keep this consistency going!

Six from Barnsley is surely more important. Who actually cares if they win the league? 

We played host to Fleetwood yesterday and the atmosphere was abysmal for most of the game. Fleetwood brought 56 fans down. I counted them.  The first 30 minutes were poor from both sides and given Fleetwood have spent big in the summer on Paddy Madden and Ched Evans (who didn't get even the quietest boo which surprised me), I was surprised they didn't cause us more problems. We shaded the first half and if it wasn't for their keeper, they'd have been two down going into the break. His second save was unbelievable and he had absolutely no right to even get near the ball. Second half and we finally scored after mounting pressure - Lapado got his ninth of the season with a cracking solo effort. We went 2-0 up shortly after - Lapado again with an instinctive finish from a corner. Inevitably, Madden got one back (he always scores against us) and it was a long ten minutes but we held them off and got 3 vital points. Not a bad result considering we were humped 5-1 last week by Luton.

We have Shrewsbury in midweek away. Results went our way yesterday too with only Bradford around us picking up points. 

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Six from Barnsley is surely more important. Who actually cares if they win the league? 

Well if there was a choice between winning the league and not winning the league I think I would be able to guess which one our fans would prefer.

But, yeah, clearly for your team, you have more pressing concerns right now.

Well I thought we had started to turn the season around, beat Gillingham fairly comfortably, then coasted the FA cup replay against FGR 3 nil, which meant 9 games unbeaten .. then of course we do our classic thing of losing to a team who are playing crap.

Had a think about it, and I'm not sure we've actually won a game on the road all season .. maybe the manager should have a little think about that as something obviously isn't working!

I felt a sense of inevitability as I listened to us batter Bradford in the first 20 minutes but fail to score, from then on I knew it was only going to go one way and of course who scores for them? Someone who played for us last season :hmm:

We've turned down Nile Ranger so it wasn't all bad news this week.

6 hours ago, Chawkso said:

Well I thought we had started to turn the season around, beat Gillingham fairly comfortably, then coasted the FA cup replay against FGR 3 nil, which meant 9 games unbeaten .. then of course we do our classic thing of losing to a team who are playing crap.

Had a think about it, and I'm not sure we've actually won a game on the road all season .. maybe the manager should have a little think about that as something obviously isn't working!

I felt a sense of inevitability as I listened to us batter Bradford in the first 20 minutes but fail to score, from then on I knew it was only going to go one way and of course who scores for them? Someone who played for us last season :hmm:

We've turned down Nile Ranger so it wasn't all bad news this week.

You're two nil up already. 

We slumped to another away defeat. Our away tactics seem to be park the bus. We can't defend so that's really not the best approach. Our new grandstand next season will be great to look at when we're playing Forest Green Rovers, Morecambe and Crawley Town. We need to spend big in January.

• Empathy 1