Vampyr - 5

Unravel 2 - 7

Splatoon 2: October Expansion - 8

Youropa - 7

Mario Tennis Aces - 6

The Making of Little Nightmares.

Studio Profile visits Firesprite.

Time Extend looks back on Rogue Legacy.

The Long Game has a progress report on Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

Next Month celebrates Edge's 25th Anniversary.

• Upvote 4

Oh yeah, E3 happened didn’t it? ;) At least it’s something to cover at a time when there aren’t any games coming out...

E3 seems so long ago. Fair score for Mario Tennis unfortunately. It's not a bad game but the drop off point happens far too quickly.

Shame there's no Octopath review.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Man, and I bought it literally yesterday :(

Didn't touch it for a week or two but have reached chapter 5 yesterday evening and enjoying it loads now. In fact it's become so good that I have to force myself to stop playing! I guess they must've gotten burned by the consequences from one of the choices early on. :P

Don't get me wrong; it has its fair share of issues but it's not a 5/10 by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe it's a typo? 

31 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Crew 2 is correct, most disappointing shallow dull racer ive ever played, which is crazy as the screenshots make it look terrific fun.

Nah, it’s amazing fun.  I’ve been playing it since day 1 and loving it. It’s a solid 8 from my perspective. There’s just so much variety. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Nah, it’s amazing fun.  I’ve been playing it since day 1 and loving it. It’s a solid 8 from my perspective. There’s just so much variety. 

glad your enjoying it,  I just couldn't get past it just does so many things wrong compared too its peers, handling being one if its major flaws. Variety yes, but I've had more fun chewing an overcooked rump steak than driving those bikes and boats.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Fair score for Mario Tennis unfortunately.

Unbalanced characters and easily abused gameplay mechanics make it the most generous six in the history of Edge Sixes for Nintendo games. Double Dash can shed a tear today.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

52 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

Unbalanced characters and easily abused gameplay mechanics make it the most generous six in the history of Edge Sixes for Nintendo games. Double Dash can shed a tear today.

Given the right conditions it plays a good a solid game, I've no qualms with the multiplayer. The singleplayer component is severely lacking though with an almost hateful grind in adventure mode and a tournament mode that's over in the blink of an eye. But in spite of all that it's still enjoyable enough to warrant a 6 imo.

4 hours ago, VN1X said:

Didn't touch it for a week or two but have reached chapter 5 yesterday evening and enjoying it loads now. In fact it's become so good that I have to force myself to stop playing! I guess they must've gotten burned by the consequences from one of the choices early on. :P

Don't get me wrong; it has its fair share of issues but it's not a 5/10 by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe it's a typo? 

I wasn't being serious TBH, I already know it's supposed to be a flawed game. That doesn't mean it can't still be interesting or awesome. I look at it like Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines (I know it's not a comparable game, it's just the first example to come mind) which I can easily see getting a 5 but it's also to me one of the best games ever made. 5 isn't bad, it's mediocre or average - it could get that score because it's a competent but completely unremarkable and uninspired game, or because it's heavily flawed despite its interesting and ambitious ideas. From what I've read and seen of Vampyr, it's probably the latter. And it totally sounds like a game that I'm going to love.

50 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

More Sekiro is always a good thing.

Oh God yes, I want all of the Sekiro! Nate probably already played it, lucky so and so

4 hours ago, VN1X said:

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I wasn't being serious TBH, I already know it's supposed to be a flawed game. That doesn't mean it can't still be interesting or awesome. I look at it like Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines (I know it's not a comparable game, it's just the first example to come mind) which I can easily see getting a 5 but it's also to me one of the best games ever made. 5 isn't bad, it's mediocre or average - it could get that score because it's a competent but completely unremarkable and uninspired game, or because it's heavily flawed despite its interesting and ambitious ideas. From what I've read and seen of Vampyr, it's probably the latter. And it totally sounds like a game that I'm going to love.

Oh God yes, I want all of the Sekiro! Nate probably already played it lucky so and so

It's a very strange review.  I think it does a reasonable job at explaining some aspects of the game (although not the fact it uses a single save or you can respec your skills at any time), and the game certainly isn't for someone who dislikes lengthy and slow conversation sequences in a few places, but the 5 tacked on at the end simply doesn't do it justice.  It's not mediocre or average in the sense of "the same thing has been done n times before and this brings nothing new to the table", its not technically flawed (apart from one problem on XB which may have been patched); given the French developer I think it's a brilliant effort at representing a slice of alternate history London, and the combat is rather good once you grasp the key drivers (which is acknowledged in the review).  I don't really see the hang up some reviewers have on the apparent discrepancy between being unwilling to feed from NPCs you should have got to know at least little beforehand, and killing mobs of vampire hunters in self-defence.

TLDR: if you are interested in the game, look at the thread here and don't worry about the score

Edited by Cosmic_Guru

@Cosmic_Guru based on what you wrote in that thread, I already know I'm going to like the game. I'm currently in Chapter 7 in Yakuza 6 (there are usually between 10 and 13 chapters in those games iirc) and once that's finished, Vampyr is next on my list. Can't wait to sink my teeth in! :D

My subscriber copy is very limited edition... the "cover" is in fact on the inside page (and upside down) and my cover is what should have been inside... a predominantly black cover with a grey E3 pattern. Basically, the cover seems to have been applied inside out! 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

8 hours ago, Vaguely Heroic said:

My subscriber copy is very limited edition... the "cover" is in fact on the inside page (and upside down) and my cover is what should have been inside... a predominantly black cover with a grey E3 pattern. Basically, the cover seems to have been applied inside out! 

Sounds like an Edge 7

Please look away now, anyone who is offended by a slip in Edge's usual high standards... here's my subscriber copy of Edge 322 with the cover on inside out. Truly an horrific sight. Amiga Power NEVER did this to me. 

20180717_074626.jpg

And because the back cover is the same, I don't know if I'm holding my Edge upside down unless I open it to look at the inside contents!!! Disgusting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

11 minutes ago, Vaguely Heroic said:

Please look away now, anyone who is offended by a slip in Edge's usual high standards... here's my subscriber copy of Edge 322 with the cover on inside out. Truly an horrific sight. Amiga Power NEVER did this to me. 

What about those two pages of Total, eh?

Figured I might as well ask about this in the most recent Edge thread. Has anyone ever bought the full whack of digital back issues? I got an email earlier this month from myfavouritemagazines.co.uk informing me of a pretty decent £44.99 deal:

Did you know that you can get every back issue of your favourite gaming magazine for one low price? Build yourself a huge digital library worth up to £558.88 today and save over 91%!

So make sure you’ve not missed a single issue and complete your collection today for just £44.99!

I've been toying with the idea of signing up. It would give me the potential for a bit of nostalgic iPhone reading on my lunch break, or for whenever I'm out of signal on one of my many trips and holidays out into more rural areas. The problem is I can't make sense of, or see any sign of anything to do with back issues when I follow the email link, it just sends me to the Edge iOS app page on iTunes. Is that where it's at? It mostly seems to be about digital subscription business on there, for current and future issues. How does the back issue library aspect work? Sign-up / pay in app, then select issues to download onto device? Probably like, eh?

15 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Figured I might as well ask about this in the most recent Edge thread. Has anyone ever bought the full whack of digital back issues? I got an email earlier this month from myfavouritemagazines.co.uk informing me of a pretty decent £44.99 deal:

I've been toying with the idea of signing up. It would give me the potential for a bit of nostalgic iPhone reading on my lunch break, or for whenever I'm out of signal on one of my many trips and holidays out into more rural areas. The problem is I can't make sense of, or see any sign of anything to do with back issues when I follow the email link, it just sends me to the Edge iOS app page on iTunes. Is that where it's at? It mostly seems to be about digital subscription business on there, for current and future issues. How does the back issue library aspect work? Sign-up / pay in app, then select issues to download onto device? Probably like, eh?

If you open the app, there is a green bar at the bottom saying complete your collection. If you click that you see a page with the offer and a buy now button.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Vampyr only scored 5? Edge has a grudge against Western RPGs. I'm not sure in what Universe a lazy sequel like Mario Tennis should receive a higher score, other than the usual Edge Nintendo bias.

It might be that they found mario tennis quite fun to play. Strange I know but that's opinions for you. 

@The Mighty Ash Cool, cheers boss :hat: 

Anyone signed up? How much use do you get out of it? 

My mum had just punted a heap of my old mags out into the recycling on one of my most recent visits, so I dug a few copies out (anything with Samus on the cover - seeing as Metroid was a series I was never interested in reading about at the time, but now adore) and I enjoyed reading through old news stories and letters pages that were predicting Teh Future of Interactive Entertainment. Was some buzz. Other issues were getting me pumped up for the Dreamcast coming out, quite rightly.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

@The Mighty Ash Cool, cheers boss :hat: 

Anyone signed up? How much use do you get out of it? 

My mum had just punted a heap of my old mags out into the recycling on one of my most recent visits, so I dug a few copies out (anything with Samus on the cover - seeing as Metroid was a series I was never interested in reading about at the time, but now adore) and I enjoyed reading through old news stories and letters pages that were predicting Teh Future of Interactive Entertainment. Was some buzz. Other issues were getting me pumped up for the Dreamcast coming out, quite rightly.

Im pretty sure you only get issues back to whenever they went digital? Not all issues back to issue 1.

1 minute ago, kempstar said:

Im pretty sure you only get issues back to whenever they went digital? Not all issues back to issue 1.

Makes sense, but that would still be around 120-odd issues or something, or have I got that wrong?

I actually bought the very first digital issue on iPad. But I cant remember when that was. Actually.... That means it cant be as much as 10 years? At a guess I would say they went digital around 2011/12 at the earliest.

• Upvote 1