rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

Marvel's Black Widow solo movie

4 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I'm well up for this. Winter Soldier is one of my favourite MCU films and this feels like it has the same kinda feel.

Does it? Feels very schlocky by comparison - I don't mean that in a bad way at all.

At the beginning of the trailer I was hoping this was going to be Marvel's family friendly version of John Wick with lots of well choreographed action. But then there was skydiving. Seems a bit James Bond, but we'll see. I like the character so I'm willing to give it a chance. 

Looks bland and predictable. I've never found Black Widow to be an interesting character but I expect more from Marvel Studios (even when bland and predictable they generally look good). Some of those skydiving effects look bloody terrible - absolutely in GI Joe territory.

And I can't believe they're still getting away with these bloody awful Russian accents.

3 hours ago, Liamness said:

Does it? Feels very schlocky by comparison - I don't mean that in a bad way at all.

More on a grounded (as grounded as comic book/super hero films can be) sort of way.

Could just be due to the bow, and the way the arms look (build and straps etc), but is anyone else thinking Taskmaster looks a bit like Hawkeye with a mask? Or is this not a prequel as far back as we thought (to before Avengers 1), and is just before Endgame?

6 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Could just be due to the bow, and the way the arms look (build and straps etc), but is anyone else thinking Taskmaster looks a bit like Hawkeye with a mask? Or is this not a prequel as far back as we thought (to before Avengers 1), and is just before Endgame?

Iirc its set after Civil War.

Taskmaster speculation - possible spoilers

Spoiler

I'll be surprised if Weisz isn't ultimately Taskmaster. But I also reckon that it'll turn out the Taskmaster identity is one that's been used by various people over time - most notably Red Guardian and Weisz.

The Hawkeye thing is likely intended. Part of his concept is that he has the skills of the most skilled heroes, if he's seen them fight - so he can use a bow as well as Hawkeye, a sword as well as Black Knight, and a shield as well as Cap.

That sky diving bit is laughable. Black Widow has always stretched credibility a bit given she's a super spy like Nick Fury and not a super hero like Cap, but honest to god that looked shit.

Luckily, the rest of it looked ace. Totally on board.

It looks...fine.  But I don't feel there's any reason to care at this point?  For me the strength of the MCU has been pushing forward with the ongoing narrative.  When they went backwards in time with Captain Marvel, they'd just shown us the Captain Marvel tease (even if that ended up making no sense) at the end of Infinity War, so it was clear why we'd want to find out about Captain Marvel because she was about to play a large part in the ongoing story.

Black Widow is, quite clearly, not going to play a large part moving forward.  I'm sure that Feige will work in some kind of small tease towards whatever the next big storyline is, but I just don't feel a great deal of excitement for this knowing that the events and characters are highly unlikely to be of much future relevance.

In the grand production of the MCU as a whole, I think this will be a little like a deleted scene - fine, but utterly disposable.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

It looks...fine.  But I don't feel there's any reason to care at this point?  For me the strength of the MCU has been pushing forward with the ongoing narrative.  When they went backwards in time with Captain Marvel, they'd just shown us the Captain Marvel tease (even if that ended up making no sense) at the end of Infinity War, so it was clear why we'd want to find out about Captain Marvel because she was about to play a large part in the ongoing story.

Black Widow is, quite clearly, not going to play a large part moving forward.  I'm sure that Feige will work in some kind of small tease towards whatever the next big storyline is, but I just don't feel a great deal of excitement for this knowing that the events and characters are highly unlikely to be of much future relevance.

In the grand production of the MCU as a whole, I think this will be a little like a deleted scene - fine, but utterly disposable.

I agree, I will quite happily never watch a MCU film again.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Disney have the XMen license back since they bought Fox

Possibly not for long enough, although guess they can start planting the seed of that stuff.

Just now, monkeydog said:

Possibly not for long enough, although guess they can start planting the seed of that stuff.

For a short tease or cameo, surely they could if they had wanted to. The purchase was a long time coming, so they could have had plans in case it went through. Only I don't think Black Widow would be their movie of choice to start teasing the existence of mutants. Maybe a mention of a country called Latveria, just a mention, to drive the comic book geeks crazy :)

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

"Natasha, my sister..." 

Urgh, that exposition. 

Natasha, as you must know, you are my sister.. 

• Upvote 2

oh ma gerd is skullfaceguy actually Hawkguy?

The problem here is that it's hard to care about the origin story when you know she just ends up having a weird slap-fight with Hawkeye over who gets to commit heroic suicide in space-hell in order to reclaim Grays Sports Almanac from Biff the Soul Stone from the Red Skull.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

oh ma gerd is skullfaceguy actually Hawkguy?

The problem here is that it's hard to care about the origin story when you know she just ends up having a weird slap-fight with Hawkeye over who gets to commit heroic suicide in space-hell in order to reclaim Grays Sports Almanac from Biff the Soul Stone from the Red Skull.

For me, her death and the lead up was pure emotional brilliance.  

• Empathy 2