Lovely post imp, I’ll get my laptop wired up one night soon and you can school me!

2 hours ago, imp said:

And I mean every time, because all GG players mash grab on their wakeup. That or DP.

Can confirm I did this for at least the first year of playing Xrd, and also every time I go back to it :lol:

14 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Lovely post imp, I’ll get my laptop wired up one night soon and you can school me!

Can confirm I did this for at least the first year of playing Xrd, and also every time I go back to it :lol:

Honestly I’m kinda jealous! I can’t quite make my hands remember to try wakeup grab! Also, heck yes, let’s get some fights in!

On 11/08/2020 at 15:46, JLM said:

Mane6 put out a trailer for the new Kickstarter stretch goal character for TFH. She is called Shanty and she is a pirate goat. Typically excellent theme song, has strong King K. Rool vibes. I'm instantly a fan, looking forward to the gameplay breakdown on the 14th.

Interesting!!!

So I'm gonna be around between 7 and 9 if anyone wants to play some GG?

As for how GGXXAC+R has been going, I'm in that awkward phase in learning a game where I'm not a beginner anymore, and I can see where the gaps are in my play, but they're so numerous that by trying to fix all of them at once I'm not really seeing much progress in any of them. Definitely a more systematic (or training mode heavy) approach is going to be required here. Also, I've got the classic intermediate ego where I'm starting to take losses harder, and getting harder on myself for combo drops and such. Still having a really good time though, I've even managed to make some pretty big inroads in learning the match-ups between some of the top tier zoning hell characters like Testament, Zappa, and Eddie. Well, I'm still totally free to Eddie but maybe sometimes I don't die without getting perfected!

• 2 weeks later...

So the hype bubble around GGXXAC+R burst this week. Seems like everyone but the most hardcore players have sacked it off as most of my opponents have had kind of insane win/loss ratios. In the region of 1200-2500 wins to 200-300 losses. This was true during the week anyway, lucky for me there were a few more beginner and intermediate players (with a mere 500-600 wins to 200-400 losses) online today, which was great. I didn't go 0-10 against anyone, unlike most of my sets this past week! I feel like I've got the hang of Sol for the most part - I've got my main combos dialled and can even pick up off of stray hits without too much panic a lot of the time. I'm not having to remind myself of various gameplay systems to incorporate into my game either, or to try anti-airing with 6P instead of 5K against certain characters. I've also got myself a couple of set plays, so I can usually do a few damaging sequences even if I'm getting hammered most of the time!

There are two systems I'm still pretty rubbish with though: false roman cancels and clean hits. The former are like YRCs from Xrd, except the cancel window is only 2 frames. That doesn't sound so bad for anyone who's learnt a SFIV combo, I know, but the visual/audio cues can be a nightmare for certain moves, like the main one I'm struggling with - Sol's gunflame. I'm nearly consistent with it in training mode, but in games where you're changing the input delay from 0 to 1 frame depending on the connection, I'm struggling to adapt the muscle memory!

Clean hits are kind of interesting - they can only be done by certain special moves, but if you strike a specific portion of the opponent's hurtbox with your attack they become susceptible to longer combos and cannot burst. Also the next time you strike them with a clean hit attack in the same combo, it does more damage. But the enemy's sweet spot on their hurtbox shrinks each time as well, making it harder and harder to continue the combo. It gets pretty complex, meaning for high level play you need to figure specific combo routes depending on the enemy's weight class. It's pretty wild, but I'm glad I'm not going to have to worry about it (or FRCs) in Strive!

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap I managed the hardest hitting sidewinder loop in a match earlier. And best thing about it - it was semi-improvised. I love how GG combo systems can afford you the tools to freestyle a bit once you've learnt your fundamentals.

The cool thing about sidewinder (the aerial move that does the wall bounce) is that it only grants the wall bounce if you hit a specific sweet spot in the enemy's hurtbox (the game shows "clean hit" when this happens). But, as a way of balancing this, the sweet spot becomes smaller every time you get a clean hit in a combo. But, as a way of rewarding harder and harder execution, the damage dealt by the move is increased every time you hit it in the same combo. Guilty Gear is wild.

EDIT: lol, I realise I also wrote an explanation of clean hits about 5 posts above this one.

I got a 2nd hand PS4 on Xmas Eve to tide me over lockdown. I have NFS Hot Pursuit and that's it :D

Is there a cheap PS4 fighting game for a single player, doesn't matter if its online presence has died off due to age either as I am crap online anyway. Or is the answer SOR4 / Streetfighter V as most tell me?

Going off on a complete tangent here but is anyone interested in some of those Mad Catz SFIV controllers? I found them today while cleaning and I'm not sure if I should just bin them. 

On 21/01/2021 at 21:06, Klatrymadon said:

Hi, yeah I'd definitely be interested in one of those! Would be happy to pay for it and the shipping!

Sorry for not responding to this. I just need to sort out a boxes to send stuff.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on incorporating burst baits into my play, and I have to say, air throwing a person's attempted burst is very satisfying indeed. Particularly satisfying though, is winning a round by doing so.

Also, ACR seems to have gotten a bit more lively online over the past month or so, which has been great. Probably semi-coincidentally there are many, many Anjis online lately. I guess people are getting ready for Strive. (I admit, I will probably join the Anji army too, or at least try to learn him as a pocket character, I like a good gorilla!)

I’ve been pottering around in ACR recently and wanted to learn someone a little more than “playing Ky like it’s Reload”. I’m down to ABA and Testament as the finalists, may have to flip a coin.

34 minutes ago, Jonster said:

I’ve been pottering around in ACR recently and wanted to learn someone a little more than “playing Ky like it’s Reload”. I’m down to ABA and Testament as the finalists, may have to flip a coin.

*gulp*

I've been playing Virtua Fighter 2 in Yakuza: Like A Dragon and the arcade mode is incredibly difficult. From stage 4 or 5 onward. On easy. I even resorted to forcing Ring Out with Jeffry's flying butt and still couldn't beat Dural. The Dural fight is literally underwater and in slow motion, like playing online with a 3G dongle.

It still looks really good though; so fluid. And the big daft jumps are a delight.