• 3 weeks later...

I've been having a dabble with it, what with it being a 2D fighting game that exists and all. I spent a lot of time with KOF14 (which is now one of my all time favourite fighting games), and it's made the old games feel a lot less alien than they used to. I bought them all from 95 to present but never really had the foggiest idea what I was doing until 14. I just used to try and play it like Streetfighter, but the pace of the game and movement options make it a totally different beast. It's more grounded than anime or versus games but still far less so than Streefighter. You have to deal with many different angles of approach and the rushdown is utterly oppressive, so although many characters have what look like a Streetfighter character's set of tools, the neutral game is often more frantic and kinetic like an anime or Marvel game.

Really good fun when it clicks but quite hard to learn and also very demanding in terms of execution. In 14 I picked my team partly by the characters I liked and what suited my playstyle, but also stuck with characters whose combos I could execute with any reliability. In 2002 this is proving even more restrictive. At the moment I think it'll be Kensou/Lin/Mature but the roster is huuuuge so I'm still experimenting. Very cool that they've retroactively added rollback to it. Yet another budget retro fighting game that has better netcode than Namco and Capcom's newest ones.

• 2 weeks later...

GGXXAC+R (christ..) had more players than SFV and DBFZ last night, peaking at 2300. Most other games with retrofitted rollback got a relative bump but that's mental. Usually it's going from like, 10 players to 80 or something.

Hey, Divekick is fine if you willingly ignore most of the roster, use the easiest characters and have a gentleman’s agreement about any systems you think are more complex ;)

I find that with a few of these streamlined fighters they get tons of hype initially and then everyone drops it for the next thing that comes along, so I’ll wait and see...

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

How long does the Guilty Gear rollback beta last? I picked it up too but I've yet to play it. Got Them's Fightin' Herds and Footsies as well.

I've mostly been playing 3rd Strike on Fightcade though, which has been great.

oh dang, the beta is only running till the 16th, so I guess I’ll be trying to learn some quick bnb combos this afternoon!

For a couple of quid even if I only play it once I figure I might as well add it to the Steam library... There is something about those sprites that just has a certain magic you don't get in GG Xrd Rev, no matter how amazing that looks and moves.

Played some games of Guilty Gear XXAC+ and Xrd Rev 2 this afternoon with @imp - I'd forgotten how much I adore these games. In Xrd especially I was discovering new stuff with Roman Cancels that I'd just never really explored before. Street Whater?

Alright, when are you fight fellows free to play some Guilty Gear? Xrd or +R, I'm not fussy. Or Granblue if anyone's playing that on PC? (I'm just getting back into that again, even though I just unsubbed from PSN as I hadn't played anything online since the Strive beta...)

I'm just in the mood for some Arcsys!

I've been having an absolute blast with Guilty Gear over the last week or so.

Been back into the fighting games in a fairly big way, playing a lot of Granblue again, shaking the rust off my old Lancelot and racking up the games in the sparsely populated UK lobby, but in my heart of hearts I'd really been wanting to play GG, for that extra little spice of madness. The Xrd servers seemed totally dead at all times of day so I finally bit the bullet and started learning the older game last weekend, which also meant learning a new character since my Xrd main, Raven, hadn't been invented yet. I figured it couldn't hurt to learn some Sol (and maybe some Ky) before Strive anyway. I picked Sol because he seemed to play very similarly to Ragna in whichever version of Blazblue it was that I put the most time into - the one I was really enjoying before a patch totally removed his BnB from the game and basically ruined the character for me. Anyway, digression over, the first thing I noticed about AC+R is that it's really easy to get games at any time of day right now!

Having played a couple of hundred hours of Xrd, AC+R both feels fairly familiar in how you control the game, but completely alien as the speed is cranked up even higher, and half the cast are completely different too, and in typical GG style are screen-filling garbage nightmares. Trying not to be put off, I did the usual thing when learning a new game and went into training mode and tried to figure out some simple combos - a midscreen footsies combo, a corner combo and a combo from throw. I'd been watching a lot of Sajam's AC+R videos on youtube, and he plays Sol as well, so I had a vague idea of how to do these, but initially found everything waaaay too fast to execute consistently, so I did what any sensible person would do and booted up Xrd instead, and played through Sol's combo trials. This was an interesting diversion - it fully reawakened my love for combo trials, and helped me get a bit more familiar with the character - the basic buttons and specials were pretty much the same between games so the muscle memory carried over. 

Back to AC+R then, and I think I had the biggest problem solved - my lack of familiarity with what each button does and therefore no instinct of what to press in any given situation. I vaguely got a couple of very basic combos down, and decided the only way to get better was to play actual people online. This was less like jumping in the deep end than somehow being dragged by the legs straight down through the earth's crust into its molten core. Don't get me wrong, there's a huge range of skill levels out there at the moment, but when you're new to the game it can certainly feel like every other player is a master. Also, helpfully, the game tracks even your unranked wins and losses, so you can really hold that L and question your life decisions between matches. I could see that I'd lost 40 matches as I won maybe 5 over the first couple of days. But y'know, a lot of players I was playing who seemed good at the game had win:loss ratios of maybe 1:3, so maybe it's just something everyone goes through. My problem as a player was that getting my offence started was hard enough, and I just couldn't maintain any momentum. On the few occasions I'd managed to land a combo, I would try to rush up to continue pressure and either get counterpoked, DP'd out of it, or worst of all, thrown, putting me back on the defensive. For anyone who doesn't know btw, GG has throws that start up in zero frames, so if you try to use meaty pressure on your opponent's wakeup while too close, you will be grabbed every time. And I mean every time, because all GG players mash grab on their wakeup. That or DP. Anyway, back I went to the training room, this time via the dustloop wiki's guide to Sol. I'd kind of discounted it earlier as some of the combos marked as "very easy" seemed beyond me. But what I hadn't bothered to do last time was watch the video guides which explain okizeme and safe jumps, which absolutely turned everything around for me. With one simple safe jump setup I was avoiding the wake-up throws (when I get it right anyway), which gave me more opportunity to land my combos, letting me get more comfortable about hitting them.

I still wasn't winning much though. Sol has a fairly honest offensive game - dash, jump, or jump-dash in, land a hit, combo, meaty, combo, repeat. That is, if you can't land his command throw. Which I could not. I kept on trying it on wakeup, only to be counter-thrown out of it. And trying to use meaty pokes in this situation just led to opponents blocking me out. Without the threat of the throw I couldn't open them up. I think at this point I had about 75 losses to my name, and about 30 wins. I went to bed that night kinda dispirited, wondering if I should switch to Ky, maybe he'd suit my innately boring fighting game personality a bit better, and his overhead is impossible to block, as everyone knows. However, the next morning I woke up with an epiphany, there was a block string I was using (pretty much by accident as I'm not fast enough to hit confirm properly, so it's a "just do it" kind of block string) where I could mix it up with a wild throw. And wouldn't you know it, it worked gangbusters! I was still messing up my combos left, right, and centre, but just having the opponent be a bit more afraid of me was the key to actually learning how to play. Over the last couple of days I've clawed my stupid win:loss ratio back to 50:50, but who knows how long that will last. That's not the best thing anyway. The best thing was playing a really skilled Millia and going from getting trounced 5 games in a row to start to trading games back and forth by the end of a 20 game set, as I was able to give myself enough space to learn the matchup while playing it. And playing an Axl who would bust out his or her Slayer every time I got a few games in a row, just to put me in my place, only to beat that Slayer by the end of the session two games in a row, and having him quit my lobby. FIGHTING GAMES!

P.s. If anyone's interested in playing this, but worried that it's so old that it'll be unforgiving to play, don't be - it's not like going back to 3S from playing SFIV. The input leniency is up there with modern games and although it seems ridiculously fast paced at first I don't think it's too bad now I'm used to it. The lobbies and such feel a little barebones for a game played in 2020, but it loads FAST meaning you're playing much more than usual too.