rllmuk

I'm just watching some Spooky streaming and he's talking Granblue tiers, which is kind of interesting.

S+: Gran, Katalina, Ferry

S: Lancelot

A+: Meterra, Charlotta

He places Lance just under the other top characters as he's dependant on getting in your opponent's head and the damage isn't as ludicrous as the other three. Plus he considers him harder to learn, which I'll sort of attest to. I think I spent a full week of online matches with a 1% win rate before starting to see any kind of success with him, but I'm pretty sure it would've been the same with a lot of the cast!

Anyway, the thing that pricked up my ears was he says he considers Ferry to have the advantage against Lance. I used to think that, as I got absolutely smashed by many, many Ferries in that first week, but then my opinion started to change the more I got comfortable in that match up. Considering the way he can really bully Ferry in the corner, I was starting to believe the consensus that Lance has the advantage. Spooky raises the point that Lance doesn't have a good way to get out of Gigi pressure as his "DP" loses to it, which is true enough, and one screw up on his part can be enough to lose a round, as escaping her pressure becomes even more difficult and comebacks can be hard due to his lower damage output. I dunno, I think it's still way too early to really say one way or the other right now, but I'm sure enjoying the match up a lot more than I used to!

Samsho is coming to PC during Spring, via the Epic Games Store...

Granblue is out here this week finally and I don't have internet yet but this is some delicious whiff punish action I want to be a part of:

I'm sure sure I've said this before but a player calling out what they're gonna do then managing exactly that is my second favourite type of fighting game clip just behind players calling out what they're gonna do and absolutely failing.

• Upvote 1

I see the Power Rangers fighter is up on Gamepass. I downloaded it to try and it's quite fun but seems quite basic. The online is shocking though. Haven't managed to finish a single fight without a disconnect. 

8 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I see the Power Rangers fighter is up on Gamepass. I downloaded it to try and it's quite fun but seems quite basic. The online is shocking though. Haven't managed to finish a single fight without a disconnect. 

I've had it since Day One and it's always been like that which makes me suspect those leader board placements. 

Guilty Gear Strive beta test emails have been going out today so it might be worth checking your inbox/junk if you signed up (I haven't received one).

A lovely pal sent me a spare code they had so I'm in too! Can't actually play as it says servers are under maintenance but it seems like some folk had a go earlier as there are previews of the lobby and vs CPU fights:

I've seen a few folk complain about the look of the lobby but I really like the little 3D/pixel avatar style and assigning players floors to match their skill level ought to make the online experience less terrifying for newcomers (if there's a large enough population for it to be workable).

The UI is all still bizarrely clean for a Guilty Gear game. I want the rusty grime of the 2D games with their heavy metal logo over-design of everything.

I guess I should give Xrd Rev 2 a spin to learn the basic moveset of one of the beta characters while I wait for it to go live (the 15th is it?).

Thought you lot might be interested in this, interview with Ryan Hart on This Game Changed My Life.

A little against the thread theme but oh well.

• Upvote 4

Finally I got my PlayStation back. Playing on my work laptop was A hassle so it's my comeback to fighting games. 

Playing fighting games is one of the very few things that make me feel happy these days. And I'm shit at it! 

Shame that I can't really afford granblue now that I bought kof 14, flex, unist and 30th anniversary on the PSN sale. (and that goat game on steam!).

• Upvote 1

Four open online tournaments for Evo Online: MK11 Aftermath, Killer Instinct, Them's Fightin' Herds and Skullgirls 2nd Encore.

Awesome to see Skullgirls and TFH in there :wub: although I imagine running an online fighting game event is easier when the selected games can actually be played online... ;) 

Never thought I'd have the chance to get washed in pools at EVO, let alone playing a My Little Pony fan game.

Just bought it on sale from Humble so if anyone fancies a bash give me a shout :)

• Upvote 1

It’s an outstanding game, really happy to see it getting some love. Loads of variety in play styles despite the small roster, good balance because of said small roster, amazing dynamic music, colourful and personality-filled characters and a combat system that allows for tonnes of creativity. There’s a character who is pure zoning and a character who is essentially Magneto from MVC and they’re both competitively viable, which is not easy to achieve! Also you can import combos created by other users  into the game’s combo trials, which is a feature I want in all other fighting games.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, you don't have to have it on long before you realise it's super legit. The tutorial is excellent so far and actually adapts to the character you choose to go through it with. During the generic combo part it told me that Velvet can't air combo A into B and instead has to go straight to C, I probably would've spent ages in training mode thinking I was fucking it up so that little bit of extra throught is really appreciated. Really extensive training mode options too!

Glad to hear that her zoning is decent in this age of rushdown Dhalsims since she felt the most immediately natural to me.

I haven't watched much of anyone else playing it yet so I don't know how it affects the combo length in practice but I really like how aggressive the scaling is in theory. You might get 340 damage out of a raw C but half that out of an A, B, C.

She is utterly infuriating to play against, but in a good way that makes me want to keep trying. Mark of a good zoner in my book. :) 

She can create horrible bullet hell situations with tiger knee air icicles and ground icicles combined with the ground trap and her magic snowballs. What a sentence. But yeah sometimes at full screen I eat three hit combos of the trap and two icicles. 

Her air mobility is one of the weakest but she is quick on the ground and has some potent buttons. 

Then she has a high low mix up game as well! It’s so horrible getting her cornered, she blocks a mix up and then suddenly you’re in a 50/50 yourself. 

It’s like an extreme version of Dhalsim, where you have to be in on Velvet with the advantage or allll the way out. Any other ranges she has amazing control and is oppressive to fight against. 

Also her optimised combos do preposterous damage for a zoner.

Despite all of that, she’s not overpowered because there’s definitely an anime fighter  design philosophy to the game where they’ve made everybody cheap as hell instead of nerfing the strong stuff too much. She would be overpowered if the game was Streetfighter but this game also has Magneto in it. I seethe with rage when fighting against her but I think she’s an excellent character design. If I didn’t play Oleander it’d be Velvet. 

Bubbleboots and Mao are both good players to watch on YouTube also. 

• Upvote 2

Man this tweet was amusingly boneheaded at the time but having been reminded of it now, it's aged like a fine wine.

• Upvote 2

What is the difference between the Last Blade 2 (£11.99) and ACA Neo Geo Last Blade 2 (£5.79) on the PSN store?

17 minutes ago, DC said:

What is the difference between the Last Blade 2 (£11.99) and ACA Neo Geo Last Blade 2 (£5.79) on the PSN store?

I think the cheaper one is the equivalent of playing a downloaded ROM, but the £11.99 one is an update built for current-gen with extra bells and whistles - online play, training mode, gallery, an updated interface, etc. 

E: blurb for the £11.99 one:

Return to the ‘90s with The Last Blade 2! Code Mystics takes SNK’s classic NEOGEO fighting game masterpiece to the next level with our PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and Steam versions including:

Cross-play with friends on either PS4 or Vita

Cross-save functionality so you can share your unlock progress and stats between the PS4 and Vita.

Online multiplayer using Code Mystics’ proprietary FOCAL online technology

Code Mystics continues our long history of lovingly emulating classic titles with pixel perfect accuracy. Choose from all 18 original characters - including fully unlocked playable bosses - using the fighting styles you enjoy the most. Speed?  Power? It’s up to you!

https://www.codemystics.com/products.shtml?46

• Upvote 1

Yeah I think I want the £11.99to add to my Vita tv mini 2d fighter console, which I never turn on or think about playing.

• Upvote 1