rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - 9 days until Games Showcase

Just now, bear said:

Will they market it at a casual audience? It seems to be designed around getting enthusiasts all hot and bothered. 

The Series S, if its really a thing, seems like the console that'll be marketed towards a casual audience. 

yeah a casual audience is not going to see a world of difference between the s and the series x (fuck ms’s naming conventions sucks!).. certainly not enough to pay 2 or 3 times as much for it.

The Series S wont be coming out at the same time as the Series X that's just suicide from Microsoft's point of view and insiders are saying it's not happening this year despite it being the worst kept secret in Xbox history.

I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that 120fps support being added to the PS5 and Series X would mean a shift from 30/60fps to 60/120fps.

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Sorry I should have been more specific, I think the art in AC Odyssey is pleasing enough (although for me not one of the best looking games this gen) but the AnvilNext engine Ubi uses for almost everything seems to struggle both in terms of performance and render quality, at least when compared to the likes of Unreal, Decima or even RAGE.

Mechanically though I didn't enjoy it at all, far too many mindnumbingly repetitive missions and I thought the combat pretty dire. I played Odyssey after Sekiro and it really highlighted how vague and sludgy the combat system is.

Don't forget Ubisoft also have the Snowdrop engine, which is what they use for the Division games. The original Division is over four years old now and still has some of the best lighting I've seen in a game, right up there with RDR2. They're both pretty spectacular visually regardless of how mundane you might find the actual content.

The AC games continue to push new boundaries in terms of size but they do have this vague tarted-up-last-gen-game look to them, I put it down to a relative lack of post-processing effects when compared to other recent AAA titles. They're very clean visually.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

oh, my sweet summer child

Haha. I'm not expecting it myself, but I can see why some folk would.

• Upvote 1

It's probably just a side effect of supporting the latest HDMI spec. I think the PS4 can already do up to 120fps for PS VR.

• Upvote 1

The One X can already do 120hz, that's just what they mean, they support 120hz for Series X and PS5, they wont have any games that hit 120fps not at console level quality settings at 4k or close to it, if they targeted 1080p sure.

Is there actually benefit running anything other than FPS online shooters at stupid-fps though? I don't play online stuff, and am mostly a happy single-player story-based gamer. 

I mean, I can see the difference between a 30fps version of something like Red Dead 2 on a console compared to a 60fps PC version and that's great and all but in reality I'm not going to see any benefit whatsoever getting the thing to run anything faster than that surely? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Not in your big budget games but I can maybe see high frame rate becoming a thing for lower budget arcadey twitch based games, VR's made me realise how transformative that can be. That's my bold prediction, made perhaps more in hope than expectation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Can’t wait to play the next FROM software game at *checks notes* anything between 14 and 47 frames per second

• Upvote 4

I've probably missed this, but have they said whether or not this thing can be sat horizontally? I'm not sure I have anywhere to put it vertically, and I'm far too lazy to be moving everything around.

2 hours ago, Nequests said:

I've probably missed this, but have they said whether or not this thing can be sat horizontally? I'm not sure I have anywhere to put it vertically, and I'm far too lazy to be moving everything around.

yes.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Shame you can't rotate the little logo like on the PS2, though. That was the best.

• Upvote 7

Not looking forward to yet again discovering that my 4 metre hdmi cables no longer work with this. Already had to replace them once to get them up to spec with the OneX and Pro.

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Not looking forward to yet again discovering that my 4 metre hdmi cables no longer work with this. Already had to replace them once to get them up to spec with the OneX and Pro.

Assuming you've bought decent 2.1 spec certified cables from a reputable brand you'll be fine.

If not... might be worth re-doing the plastering again in anticipation :P

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

Assuming you've bought decent 2.1 spec certified cables from a reputable brand you'll be fine.

If not... might be worth re-doing the plastering again in anticipation :P

After having to return three lots of cables because of issues, all 2.1 with good reviews, I’m using Ivanky cables now. Work fine with the Pro but the OneX still switches to 640x480 if the TV ever goes off or into standby. Only a full shutdown fixes it Seems to be a known OneX problem.

Who knows what’ll happen with the new consoles and cables that don’t come packed with the consoles.

17 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

After having to return three lots of cables because of issues, all 2.1 with good reviews, I’m using Ivanky cables now. Work fine with the Pro but the OneX still switches to 640x480 if the TV ever goes off or into standby. Only a full shutdown fixes it Seems to be a known OneX problem.

Who knows what’ll happen with the new consoles and cables that don’t come packed with the consoles.

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse. I had the same problem with both my One X and PS4. You'd think there'd be a standard and that'd be that, but it feels like pot luck whether a cable will work or not and I've tried everything from Amazon Basics to pretty expensive ones.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse. I had the same problem with both my One X and PS4. You'd think there'd be a standard and that'd be that, but it feels like pot luck whether a cable will work or not and I've tried everything from Amazon Basics to pretty expensive ones.

Which ones have you found that work?

22 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Which ones have you found that work?

I honestly can’t remember now, as they’re plastered into my chimney breast. I’ll have a look later to see if I can figure it out.

• Upvote 1

On 12/05/2020 at 20:51, gooner4life said:

The One X can already do 120hz, that's just what they mean, they support 120hz for Series X and PS5, they wont have any games that hit 120fps not at console level quality settings at 4k or close to it, if they targeted 1080p sure.

But we barely have 1080p60 this gen. No developer will ever push something over 30 if they have to sacrifice visual fidelity.

At least 1080p next gen will look a lot better than 1080p this gen.

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

At least 1080p next gen will look a lot better than 1080p this gen.

Yeah, it will probably be 60fps. It only took us two generations to do it.:P

5 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Yeah, it will probably be 60fps. It only took us two generations to do it.:P

That Unreal 5 demo is 1440p 30fps. So I doubt it :(

Yeah, this is kind of the death knell for next-gen expectations to hit resolutions or 60fps as standard.

Xbox: Announces a bunch of games in native 4k running at 60 or 120fps

Gamers: shrug

Sony: Announces a tech demo of what graphics would look like at 1440p 30fps

Gamers: jaws on floor, mainstream news coverage

You look at that as a developer, you're going to see where to really put your emphasis to get noticed, eh?

• Upvote 4

The demo is 2160p60 isn't it? It's definitely 4K something.

Huh, it definitely looks smoother than that. The benefits of good anti-aliasing I guess.

Oh wait that's also one of the first things on the chopping block isn't it.

• Upvote 1