Jump to content
Omizzay

Trials Rising

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I was properly addicted to Trials HD and Evo. I think you’re right that Fusion didn’t quite have the X factor the previous 2 games had. 

 This did look great. I’m mulling over whether to buy on Switch or PS4. I suppose graphics wise it won’t suffer massively on Switch? Not sure. Be interesting to know if the Switch version misses any features. 

 For people worrying about anologue triggers I can tell you there is another way. I know a few of the guys who were top 20 on Trials HD and Evo leaderboards and they used the face butttons, so it is possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If ever a game needed to go back to its roots, it's Trials.  Each iteration of the game has moved further away from the awesomeness of Trials HD, where it was just about you, a bike, and a warehouse full of obstacles.  The trailer for Rising looks awful.  :(

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

If ever a game needed to go back to its roots, it's Trials.  Each iteration of the game has move further away from the awesomeness of Trials HD, where it was just about you, a bike, and a warehouse full of obstacles.  The trailer for Rising looks awful.  :(

 

 

Trials HD was unbelivable at the time, but going back to it (as I did recently) the physics just feel off when compared to Evo or Fusion.  Still lots of fun though for a quick blast. 

 

I have high hopes for Rising (the gimmicky multiplayer aside) - the graphics and level design look really good to me.  The endless community created levels and DLC will keep me playing this for a few years for sure.  And the fact that RedLynx have gathered the best of the Trials community to help them make the best game possible is a positive sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with the HD and Evolution love. Fusion just never really did it for me. Should have known from the menus. That “welcome to the future” nonsense was never going to touch this:

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

 

Trials HD was unbelivable at the time, but going back to it (as I did recently) the physics just feel off when compared to Evo or Fusion.  Still lots of fun though for a quick blast. 

I have high hopes for Rising (the gimmicky multiplayer aside) - the graphics and level design look really good to me.  The endless community created levels and DLC will keep me playing this for a few years for sure.

 

Oh yeah, I completely agree that the game needs to progress, and the recent refinements to the physics and graphics have been amazing. I just really don't enjoy the massive rollercoaster levels, and the ones with the weird gravity, and the teleporting, and the space levels, and, and, and.... bah.  Lump me in with the old miserable squad I guess.  I just want some cool and challenging realistic courses to ride (in 4K).

 

The local multiplayer could be really good if done right.  They've never come up with a good system to manage people lagging behind, though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

Day one, obviously. Anyone able to sign up to the beta? I'm getting a black screen across multiple browsers and systems.

 

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/trials-rising/

 

It's working now.  I just signed up successfully to the PS4 Beta.

 

Interesting little tidbits on that page: 

1. There will be an outfit and bike editor in addition to the track editor

2. There is a new multiplayer tandem bike mode, where each of the two riders contribute 50% of the balance and power of the bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trials Evo is one of my favourite 360 games but I found HD to be initially fun yet insanely frustrating and decidedly un-fun after a certain point. 

 

Evo found that balance of having easier levels that you could time-trial to shave off milliseconds, seguing into medium levels that you wanted to one-life, and then insanely hard levels you were just happy to get to the final gate before your lives ran out. The difficulty curve was abspolitely perfect. 

 

Fusion again failed to get that curve right, for me personally. At a certain point I hit an insurmountable cliff. 

 

I’d also like to see a few more longer tracks like that 10 minute dusk one in Evo. I bloody loved that. 

 

Shit, why isn’t Evo backwards compatible yet?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2018 at 11:55, Junker said:

 

 For people worrying about anologue triggers I can tell you there is another way. I know a few of the guys who were top 20 on Trials HD and Evo leaderboards and they used the face butttons, so it is possible. 

Trials 2 was played on a keyboard, worked just fine!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pob said:

 At a certain point I hit an insurmountable cliff. 

 

Me too, but I made peace with that and stuck with the medium and not so hard hard tracks. Just time trialling them was where the fun was for me. 

 

Just registered for the beta. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2018 at 11:29, Pob said:

Evo found that balance of having easier levels that you could time-trial to shave off milliseconds, seguing into medium levels that you wanted to one-life, and then insanely hard levels you were just happy to get to the final gate before your lives ran out. The difficulty curve was abspolitely perfect. 

 

I abspolitely agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a given but I went absolutely ballistic when this was announced. Its going to be incredible and I have the faith.

 

Fusion is still an exceptionally good game, been hammering it again the last few nights but compared to Evo its a step down. HD was phenomenal but you had to work your bike so damn hard to hit the best line through tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trials HD is the only one I actually managed to complete every single level for, although I was unemployed at the time. I don't think I have the time to get really good at the series anymore, but I will buy the new one and enjoy as much of it as I can.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an in depth interview with RedLynx showcasing quite a few of the new tracks and modes. Loving the updated look compared to Fusion and the tandem mode looks like a blast.

 

I'm hoping the Switch version controls well as that would be my preferred console, but I'll probably end up getting it on the PS4 for some rllmuk competition.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nequests said:

It's years since I played one, but do Trials games not need analogue triggers? Thought that might put people off the Switch version.

 

I honestly don't think they do, I remember playing Trials when it used keyboard inputs as a browser based game. I trust RedLynx to adjust the game enough so it works well anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I honestly don't think they do, I remember playing Trials when it used keyboard inputs as a browser based game. I trust RedLynx to adjust the game enough so it works well anyway.

 

Analogue power control from Trials HD and on is near essential, the harder levels (which I can barely get anywhere in as it is) would become virtually impossible without - although some masochists have actually managed it, needless to say.

 

Yeah, the original flash games used keyboard controls but that's a long, long time ago and it's a different beast now. They'd have to make adjustments to cater for the lack of it somehow and thus making it a fairly different game (or not, and leaving it as a much harder one on Switch), definitely doable although I played a similar game on Vita and I thought it was awful in comparison, the throttle being full on or off just felt crap even though presumably it was designed with that in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stefcha said:

 

Analogue power control from Trials HD and on is near essential, the harder levels (which I can barely get anywhere in as it is) would become virtually impossible without - although some masochists have actually managed it, needless to say.

 

Yeah, the original flash games used keyboard controls but that's a long, long time ago and it's a different beast now. They'd have to make adjustments to cater for the lack of it somehow and thus making it a fairly different game (or not, and leaving it as a much harder one on Switch), definitely doable although I played a similar game on Vita and I thought it was awful in comparison, the throttle being full on or off just felt crap even though presumably it was designed with that in mind.

 

I'm not saying it hasn't improved, but they have experience in non-analogue controls and should be able to make it work. Hoping the Beta will give us a good idea of things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t imagine doing those bits where you have to work your way up a steep incline in a controlled fashion lest you fall off backwards with digital buttons. I’m sure it’s possible but it won’t feel as good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interface and customization look good, the graphics extremely detailed and full of nice little touches, but the RedLynx level design most importantly looks phenomenal.  Can't wait to see the Medium and Hard tracks as those have always been the most fun for me.  Unfortunately, the guy riding isn't that great, but I'm so pumped for this.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.