Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

After not claiming this on Plus (don't ask), I finally managed to justify a PS5 purchase of this with it in the sale. After 3 minutes playing on quality mode I switched to performance and have just blasted through it. I had it on PS4 but it's another level with how smooth it is and how great it looks. One of the games of the generation for me. 

I don't have high hopes for the DLC but I'm looking forward to it anyway. 

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

After not claiming this on Plus (don't ask), I finally managed to justify a PS5 purchase of this with it in the sale. After 3 minutes playing on quality mode I switched to performance and have just blasted through it. I had it on PS4 but it's another level with how smooth it is and how great it looks. One of the games of the generation for me. 

For my PS5 play through I blasted straight through the main missions, sticking right to the critical path and the pacing felt just perfect and brilliant. I enjoyed it about 10 times more doing it that way with the new silky smooth frame rate. I loved it enough to platinum it. 
It felt best doing all side content in the endgame even if a lot of it was easy 

On 07/04/2021 at 09:12, Festoon said:

I abandoned Control because the restart time after dying was too long.

Am I am idiot?

I had the same issue about 14 hours in. Then at hour 16 and making no progress I found the accessibility options that allowed me to change damage and recharge times. It did warn me that the game was balanced for the default settings and that changing them might change the intended experience of playing the game but I tweaked it until I found it fun but still challenging. I'd recommend anyone stuck to do this, it might be the "wrong" way to play the game but I found it a lot more fun.

On 11/04/2021 at 12:28, Unofficial Who said:

I had the same issue about 14 hours in. Then at hour 16 and making no progress I found the accessibility options that allowed me to change damage and recharge times. It did warn me that the game was balanced for the default settings and that changing them might change the intended experience of playing the game but I tweaked it until I found it fun but still challenging. I'd recommend anyone stuck to do this, it might be the "wrong" way to play the game but I found it a lot more fun.

Holy shit man, thanks! I had absolutely no idea this existed and I'm not a huge shooter man but I was really enjoying the genuinely unsettling and strange atmosphere of this game. 

Life saver.

If you're after an easy time the legit way, upgrade launch over anything else, and use your personal mods to boost health. Launch is stupidly powerful at higher levels. For enemies that dodge out of the way of it, Pierce destroys them.

7 hours ago, Timmo said:

If you're after an easy time the legit way, upgrade launch over anything else, and use your personal mods to boost health. Launch is stupidly powerful at higher levels. For enemies that dodge out of the way of it, Pierce destroys them.

Or just lobbing two items at them, I found you rarely miss twice.

An upgrade to your health regeneration by collecting the little fragments enemies also helps lots

9 hours ago, Festoon said:

Holy shit man, thanks! I had absolutely no idea this existed and I'm not a huge shooter man but I was really enjoying the genuinely unsettling and strange atmosphere of this game. 

Life saver.

Yeah, hiding these behind what seems like a "You're hacking the game" prompt is a dumb move. 

About 10 hours in to this now and it's becoming a bit of a classic. I was a bit non-plussed for the first few hours. The gunplay was fine, the visuals were OK if a bit samey and washed out and the story hinted at being weird for weirds sake nonsense. 

Pretty wrong on all accounts there. As you gain all your fancy powers and upgrade your guns and mods, the action becomes incredibly fun and I only wish there was more of it. I've maxed out my Launch abilities and stacked energy mods so I'm now pretty much an Emperor Palpatine level motherfucker.

I love the weirdness of the story now and the many (many!) collectibles flesh out the story nicely and the side missions introduce some barmy concepts. I just fought what appeared to be a 

Spoiler

possessed SMEG fridge that manifested as a gigantic worm with laser eyes

:blink2:

The fairly boring office block environments give way to some great visuals as you progress. I've just done the level in the 

Spoiler

quarry and gained my levitating powers. 

and that was some great environmental design.

If you picked this up on PS Plus, please don't forget to play it, especially if you have a PS5 as it's slick as fuck at 60fps.

I’m loving this too, played it already on PlayStation and now I’m going through it on Xbox. They’re a developer that’s easy to overlook but really they are top tier imo, I love the combat and physics in their games and this is perhaps the best one in that regard. Also the presentation is awesome - the titles and voice overs, the weirdness of it - pitch perfect, and the sound design is absolutely brilliant. 

Can’t wait to see what they do next as it must be some way into development by now I’d guess. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I’m loving this too, played it already on PlayStation and now I’m going through it on Xbox. They’re a developer that’s easy to overlook but really they are top tier imo, I love the combat and physics in their games and this is perhaps the best one in that regard. Also the presentation is awesome - the titles and voice overs, the weirdness of it - pitch perfect, and the sound design is absolutely brilliant. 

Can’t wait to see what they do next as it must be some way into development by now I’d guess. 

They're doing many things: the single player campaign for Crossfire X, a game published by Epic (likely to be Alan Wake 2), a smaller game for Epic, a co-op game called Vanguard and there are rumors of a PlayStation exclusive.

Remedy is eating.

On 10/04/2021 at 23:37, Timmo said:

Foundation is pretty good. I wasn't so keen on AWE.

• 3 weeks later...

Have they added a shitload of Control Points in this to facilitate better fast travel? I've gone back to mop shit up and there's new ones in places I'd abandoned.

Also not that I really want to give 505 more money but the ultimate edition is on sale on Xbox. The saves aren't transferable are they?

49 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Have they added a shitload of Control Points in this to facilitate better fast travel? I've gone back to mop shit up and there's new ones in places I'd abandoned.

Also not that I really want to give 505 more money but the ultimate edition is on sale on Xbox. The saves aren't transferable are they?

Yes, way more control points. The Anchor is much less of a fucker now.

No, no save transfer. You need to replay it again. Which, I mean. Not exactly terrible.

It seems like 60 FPS isn't worth paying for as I don't have a 4k TV and I couldn't care less about ray tracing.

Also second Tommasi fight is pissing me off. Even with 2 health mods on he wrecks me with 2 hits and if I do get to the second part the adds fuck me. The fucking spikes in this game, man.

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

Second Tommasi? Isn’t that an optional endgame boss?

Yeah it is, pretty doable with end game powers though. Do it post campaign.

Max launch and remember throwing things twice at a flying enemy almost always guarantees a hit second time and use Shield against those invisible fuckers that like to scream in your face. The adds are best dealt with on the walkway above the main arena as less chance of boxing you in.

Oh and don’t forget you can fly by this point

Yeah I'm just cleaning up what's left over. The Anchor and Old Growth boss were giving me shit the last time I tried them but both went down like a sack of spuds yesterday. Tomassi is a pain still, though.

It pisses me off that you lose the currency as well. Normally bit feels kind of irrelevant but then you get to a sticking point like this and you've lost 30k.

I wonder if they had a problem in playtesting where people would die over and over and over to grind out currency, as a tedious dominant strategy, and this was a way to discourage that. I’m not sure how you would stop people doing it otherwise in a nonlinear game with persistent progression.

10 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It seems like 60 FPS isn't worth paying for as I don't have a 4k TV and I couldn't care less about ray tracing.

Also second Tommasi fight is pissing me off. Even with 2 health mods on he wrecks me with 2 hits and if I do get to the second part the adds fuck me. The fucking spikes in this game, man.

There is no shame in using assist modes and modifying damage variables. It's what I did 16 hours in, 2 of which was just getting wrecked over and over.

16 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I wonder if they had a problem in playtesting where people would die over and over and over to grind out currency, as a tedious dominant strategy, and this was a way to discourage that. I’m not sure how you would stop people doing it otherwise in a nonlinear game with persistent progression.

I assumed that's what the Board Countermeasures were for.

You can do board countermeasures as an intended way to grind out bonuses, sure, but I mean that without the lost cash on death, as a loophole you could just tediously throw yourself at the same set piece over and over again, dying every time, to grind out the currency. And it’s a truism that if players discover a tedious but thoughtless way to make numbers go up, they will use it rather than the complicated, fun options you designed in.

The currency isn't that helpful though. It's not like, say, an RPG where you can grind out stuff to level up and make life easier. I never really felt that I badly needed more of the various beads and tokens the game gives you.

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah I'm just cleaning up what's left over. The Anchor and Old Growth boss were giving me shit the last time I tried them but both went down like a sack of spuds yesterday. Tomassi is a pain still, though.

It pisses me off that you lose the currency as well. Normally bit feels kind of irrelevant but then you get to a sticking point like this and you've lost 30k.

Yeah, I think it's an iffy design decision to double-punish you for deaths.  Not only are you dead but they just put you further away from levelling up to not die again.

I think more people would get through without assists without that and the rest of the people wouldn't notice because like K they're not dying enough for it to make a difference.

19 hours ago, Dudley said:

they just put you further away from levelling up to not die again

They haven't really though, unless your game plan for levelling up revolves around unlocking mod slots for the Weapon Forms or upgrading the mod gatcha machine you're not really losing anything, all of the Jesse buffs improvements are earned through gameplay alone. I stopped caring about the currency loss at all when I realised it was just a number going down to make you feel bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up as a PS+ freebie; enjoying it so far - love the generally weird vibe, and all the found narrative. Just reached the quarry and spotted what I need to do next...

Just finished this today, well mostly finished. I've left a load of side quests, did start to feel it was dragging on a bit. There's quite a lot of samey feeling areas and a bit too many fights in small spaces where something pops up next to you and smashes you. I prefer my baddies further away so I can more easily throw stuff at them. Mission 9 in particular, the fights at the end just go on way to long and I died quite a lot. Then I did the sensible option and switched on insta-kill to blast past it after the ninth death. Apparently I should "git gud", but I don't want to!

The level with the headphones was awesome though, more levels like that would have boosted it way up. Don't really see me going back to finish up the side quests unless there's one of them that's as good as headphones level?