Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

Pierce all the way. It's a shotgun with the range and accuracy of a sniper rifle. I am hard-pressed to care much about mods, once every so often I replaced the ones I used for higher level ones of the same mod. At about the half way point mods became "reset your skills" fodder.

And that's me done. All trophies get, time to retire this now.

I just piled damage and fire rate into mods and entirely health into my personal mods so I spent a little less time getting near one shot by nearly unmissable explosions.

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

What it led me to do is get the machine gun version and then literally never use anything different at all ever.

You used Spin?  Seriously?  But its really shit...and normally I'm a an semi automatic kind of guy - as in swears by auto rifles in Destiny

For me there wasn't a scenario that couldn't be resolved with Grip and Pierce - but mainly Grip then throw the nearest object into their head first until I ran out of energy for that - then shoot them with Grip - vary it up at little yes but mainly that.

I agree the mods got annoying with the limits on storage - I focused on max health and regeneration from collecting the shiny things when you killed enemies - I think I just had a damage one in the final slot - just switched them out when I got a higher tier one

Grip with headshot damage and Eternal Flame mods is the go-to, Charge with the rocket launcher mod* for bosses, Pierce on ADS damage boost in larger areas... they're all good guys, and very situational.

*There's a drop that applies a speed modifier to the grenades, on high levels the grenades basically leave the end of the gun on one frame and hit whatever's under your crosshair on the next.

I really liked the mods and weapon setup in this, but I would have much preferred it if mods were things that you unlocked and upgraded, rather than disposable items that mean you have to do a lot of tedious inventory management. It got pretty dull having to delete mods to make space for new ones, and it was a bit of a disincentive to trying out new ones as well. If nothing else, there should be enough room in your inventory to hold one of every mod.

Also, they should have ditched the boring ones that just increase your health or weapon power, to encourage people to use the ones that create synergies between different powers, or make you play in new ways.

Aye, I never did figure out how they work. They do not always dodge see.

Not that it matters, Pierce with Seize on the side makes minced meat out of enemies.

22 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The problem with mainlining throw, is when you get to those dickhead flying enemies who can mostly dodge it!

You shoot them with Pierce and then they’re stunned and you can happily chuck the scenery at them. :)

I’m kind of amazed that you stuck to the worst gun in the game. 

Conversely, I barely if ever used Shield and stuck with Grip all the way through the game, occasionally switching to Shatter when up close. Hardly touched Pierce, found it too cumbersome in relation to the pace of most battles.

For a game that's semi-regularly criticised as shallow, it's noteworthy how different everyone's play styles are.

Barely used shield, hardly ever used melee. My build was predominantly Pierce, throw stuff, Seize, dodge. Rather late in the game I decided to try out the dive kick, oh boy that's a good skill to have. Surprisingly powerful, just do not use it on exploding enemies.

I tell you what bit was great though:

Spoiler

The whole headphones wearing Ashtray Maze section. It felt like a well paced section of the combat stuff combined with a genuinely amazing visual and audio experience. It kind of felt like an endgame bit without being an endgame bit, and by comparison it makes the actual endgame action section seem really stilted, boring, and half assed.

On 11/03/2021 at 04:48, Dudley said:

The problem with mainlining throw, is when you get to those dickhead flying enemies who can mostly dodge it!

If you don't pull the projectile all the way back to your hand then it'll come at them from a funny angle and sideswipe them. Works most of the time. So a short hold on R1 rather than a long one.

A neat detail from the Making of Control book - when you throw an object at an enemy, it clips straight through them. There's no collision at all. The throw power originally had the object you threw bouncing off the enemy you threw it at, but they changed it as the current way hugely enhanced the feeling of impact, even though there's no impact.

So I've just met 

Spoiler

Jesse's brother for the first time. How far through am I roughly? 

Also I've got a side mission hinting at a certain mr Alan Wake, is this DLC? And is the DLC supposed to be not worth playing? How do I know what's DLC and what isn't in the Ultimate Edition?

4 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

So I've just met 

Hide contents

Jesse's brother for the first time. How far through am I roughly? 

Also I've got a side mission hinting at a certain mr Alan Wake, is this DLC? And is the DLC supposed to be not worth playing? How do I know what's DLC and what isn't in the Ultimate Edition?

Spoiler

I'd say 2/3rds to 3/4th's of the way through the main game. About that I think. 

The two DLC packs are Foundation and AWE. Anything related to AWE is that Alan Wake DLC. There's a whole floor for it that you should just avoid till endgame....if at all. 

I like Foundation DLC, and I did it post game. AWE isn't so great. 

I've been playing this and enjoying it somewhat. Particularly the combat. But I'm starting to feel my enthusiasm waning a bit. I've just arrived in Blackrock something, to collect some rocks or something. Did a puzzle with 5 symbols. I guess I must be 4 or 5 hours in. 

Does it pick up soon? I find I'm now starting to ignore most of the collectibles, given they are so numerous and pretty obscure. 

I'm playing mainly because the combat is interesting, but even these bits are becoming a little repetitive. 

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

Bar a couple of high points, the rest of the game will be very much more of the same from where you are now.

OK thanks. Am I about 1/3 through? 

6 hours ago, Hylian said:

I've been playing this and enjoying it somewhat. Particularly the combat. But I'm starting to feel my enthusiasm waning a bit. I've just arrived in Blackrock something, to collect some rocks or something. Did a puzzle with 5 symbols. I guess I must be 4 or 5 hours in. 

Does it pick up soon? I find I'm now starting to ignore most of the collectibles, given they are so numerous and pretty obscure. 

I'm playing mainly because the combat is interesting, but even these bits are becoming a little repetitive. 

I got slightly further than where you are at and filed it away until I can build up the enthusiasm to continue.

It has the usual Remedy staples of technical excellence and weird story, but it was a major slog to make progress in. The collectables and lore you have to seek out ruin the flow personally and the core combat game loop isn't compelling enough to put up with the rest of it.

The last Remedy game I played was Alan Wake, and I didn't make much progress on that one either years ago so maybe it's just a personal taste thing.

17 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I got slightly further than where you are at and filed it away until I can build up the enthusiasm to continue.

It has the usual Remedy staples of technical excellence and weird story, but it was a major slog to make progress in. The collectables and lore you have to seek out ruin the flow personally and the core combat game loop isn't compelling enough to put up with the rest of it.

The last Remedy game I played was Alan Wake, and I didn't make much progress on that one either years ago so maybe it's just a personal taste thing.

yeah I didn’t do either of these things because I knew it would make it tedious. I just went through enjoying the lack of garish exposition, but there is an ass for every seat as they say

6 hours ago, mushashi said:

Then you'll love the Alan Wake DLC!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to play this on my new PS5, but noticed I only got the PS4 version from PS+ last month (I didn’t realise there were two versions!). Will I be missing much by playing the bog-standard PS4 version?