Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

I loaded it up on PS5 (very annoying that downloading it also starts the download for the non-ultimate, PS4 edition), and it’s not even a contest between 60fps and RT. The former is far better. 

Played a bit and didn’t relish the idea of playing a good few hours before I get some decent powers, though, so might hold off before running through it again. 

I never replay games though, so the fact that I want to play this again at some point shows how much I like it. 

I think I’m finally done with this now. Done the main game, Foundation, and just wrapped up all the side missions I’ve been offered, bar all the various Ahti clean-up quests etc,, which seem pointless.

I’ve also no real interest in the AWE DLC as haven’t played Alan Wake, and Hartmann means nothing to me. So that will probably do it.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, and what an amazing PS+ ‘freebie’.

I have a feeling that the basement enemies are deliberately hard to put you off going in there before you acquire a late-game power that is pretty much required to get around. When I went in the first time, enemies were all level 6 and were hitting from across the map when I could barely see them, even when using the sniper type weapon. After going in post-game, those enemies were all gone lol.

I think it's a slightly broken bit of design. Technically the way in to the basement is more difficult without said power, but you can manage without it. If they had just made the lift shaft perfectly smooth, then there would have been no way in without that power, by which point you should be sufficiently levelled up to not get battered immediately on entering that area. Eh. It annoyed me, but since there were plenty of other areas/missions etc to do, it didn't bother me that much.

Yeah, I went into the fungal area very early by carefully dropping down the lift shaft. I killed all the snipers, found the control point, and the other bits and bobs. But nothing else to do and obviously couldn’t go down the killer pit. Totally confused me, so I fast travelled out. Went back end game and indeed no bad guy snipers. Weird.

15 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Expected this "ultimate edition" to look snazzy but even in graphics mode it looks a bit shoddy, washed out pallette and terrible colour-banding. 

I play on 60fps (because, of course) and think it looks great. The art design is great and I think the washed out look is by design. 

On another note, Im playing the DLC now and it's been pretty shit so far. 

I really like the setting and mood but I do find the combat against bosses a bit annoyingly trial and error and wonder if I could do without it. Would I really be missing out if I turned some assists on to ease through a bit more?

31 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

You can’t use regular edition saves on the Ultimate Edition. Don’t know about using a PS4 UE save on the PS5 UE.

That's annoying. I might leave it a year or so before starting all over again then. Cheers.

I'd seen a lot of references to The Ashtray Maze so after finding it and clearly not being ready to do it I was looking forward to coming back to it.

But.... eh..... to quote Jesse, as she seems to summarise it very accurately... THAT was awesome!! I really didnt expect it. Just fucking amazing!

My only question about it is why is there not more bits like that? It almost stands out as much as the time shifting section in Titanfall 2 in terms of ‘give me fucking more of this and don’t ever stop’. Genius!!

8 hours ago, MardiganX said:

My only question about it is why is there not more bits like that? It almost stands out as much as the time shifting section in Titanfall 2 in terms of ‘give me fucking more of this and don’t ever stop’. Genius!!

yeah it starts off being quite interesting and then suddenly it goes bananas, I recorded it and showed my gf and she was like wtf is happening

Started this today, only had time to play the opening section and wow! it's good.

I love the force push melee attack, I'm having too much fun going round destroying everything.

Spoiler

Came back the director's office later and everything had reset, my carnage was gone :(

Ok so this is a 3D metroidvania game? I've come across locked door which I am assumming I will get the required key card at some point to return. Does the map screen show these locked off areas? I'm assumming they are the ?? areas?

Kind of. Those key cards comer to you naturally, and unless you only follow the story line, most if not all locked door you'll revisit because you like exploring and doing side missions.

There's no need to make mental notes of where they are.

On 26/02/2021 at 21:29, MardiganX said:

My only question about it is why is there not more bits like that?

That makes me think of Beavis and Butthead's review of Creep by Radiohead.

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Thanks @df0 another question I abandon a board counter measure because I have not unlocked the weapon and the task disappeared. Have I lost that task now?

The board counter measures are sort of like daily bounties in a GAAS, you get new ones each day so no need to worry about abandoning one

4 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Hmmm, yeah ... I hope it actually is HDR, and not the fact that EvilBoris is playing Control on PS5 for the first time. 

Sorry some more questions I know I could google them but don't want to read anything that might spoil the game.

I got a timed quest come up which I did not do because I was in a different section of the old house, are these just randomly generated or should I have ran to the maintenance sector and helped out Ahti in his hour of need?

Research Sector (Question in spoiler)

Spoiler

I will have another walk around this evening but I seem to be stuck in the research sector, could not find any area I had not visited? I ran around a maze area but that seem to go nowhere and another section I come across a red blocked area I cannot go through?

3 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I got a timed quest come up which I did not do because I was in a different section of the old house, are these just randomly generated or should I have ran to the maintenance sector and helped out Ahti in his hour of need?

You can safely ignore those, but they're good for getting rewards/upgrades.  Sorry, can't help with your spoiler as it's been a while since I played it.