Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

Yes, if you like the lore in any way you have to check out SCP as Control is directly inspired by it. SCP is absolutely brilliant with some of the coolest ideas, lore and some of the most disturbing entities out there. I recommend filtering the Wiki by most up-voted as a starting point, but don't ignore the later SCP entries as the trend moves away from scary X files monsters and cliches, towards much more original weirdness. I'll post some favourites later.

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

I'd say that explaining any of that would actually ruin the mystery; think how everything weird and supernatural in MGS turned out to be nanomachines in MGS4, or how the prequels and backstory sucked all the space out of the Star Wars universe by showing us everything.

Imagine if The X-Files ended every season like Scoobie Doo, with Scully whipping the mask off an alien and it was Principal Skinner all along. The mystery is what makes it mysterious. Not everything needs to be a Sherlock Holmes story where every tedious detail is explained and linked to everything else.

For a game that goes to as much effort as it does to explain the lore and background, and weave a coherent story with a pretty consistent internal logic, you’d have to say that all the loose threads are there to be picked up in a sequel/whatever’s next in the the Remedy Game Universe, surely?

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Why am the director? Why do they think I'm the director? 

It’s like Ahti the janitor said to you at the beginning - you’re here for the interview. When you picked up the service weapon and completed the first trial, you passed!

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

If anybody is referencing pop culture touchstones that influenced this, you need to include http://www.scpwiki.com/

To save randomly clikcing some exemplar ones http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-087

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1733

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-882

SCP manages to walk this really fine line where it's all cohesive, but it can span so many different kinds of horror, and comedy, and mudane-of-the-uncanny, it's incredible. Total firehouse of material but you can get lost in it for years.

See also: House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, and the album Haunted by his sister Poe.

Just now, Popo said:

For a game that goes to as much effort as it does to explain the lore and background, and weave a coherent story with a pretty consistent internal logic, you’d have to say that all the loose threads are there to be picked up in a sequel/whatever’s next in the the Remedy Game Universe, surely?

I don't think it does explain lots of lore and background. It introduces lots, and keeps doing so, but it stubbornly refuses to explain so much of it. I expect the next game will answer some stuff to do with The Hiss and your brother, but only if it also introduces 40 new questions.

Yeah, the engine that drives things like this, SCP, Twin Peaks, Tales from the Loop, etc is that the mysteries are never really explained. The main source of the appeal is that it's a hook, a suggestion of something wider and weirder that you never quite see in its entirety. It's the same thing that drives those books of alien encounters and ghost stories that I devoured as a child - it's the fact that they're (mostly) open-ended, and sometimes so weird that there really couldn't be any coherent explanation.

Also if people are into this kind of Lynchian unexplained horror stuff, I highly recommend the Southern Reach books by Jeff Vandermeer, starting with Annihilation. Its much better than the film although the premise is similar, in the genre they've dubbed 'New Weird'. I'd describe it as a kind of slow paced psychological horror version of Lost, nothing's ever fully explained but you can piece together some of whats going on. Really cool premise and very unsettling at times.

An earlier book of his, City of Saints and Madmen is also really good, very Lovecraftian and although takes a while to get going has an amazing world he's created and lots of big mysteries which are touched on but never fully explained.

Jealous! My copy was dispatched a couple of days ago and I’m hoping the bookshop doesn’t use the same deranged yeetster of a delivery driver who threw my last delivery on to a concrete patio.

Has anyone else noticed strange right-stick behaviour on PS5? When first loading the game up camera movement seems to have a subtle mind of its own, like if you have stick drift. The thing is I haven't seen similar symptoms in any other game so I don't think it's my controller, and even in Control the issue seems to fix itself after a time.

It's so minor as to not really be a problem, I just find it somewhat mysterious. Hopefully the Former isn't hiding out in my DualSense.

Finished the base game last night. What a fucking rad game. Took me a while to fully warm to it, but once I’d unlocked the ability to actually launch badguys at each other I was completely on board. Fucking mayhem.

The Lynchian stuff was actually surprisingly really super well done and accomplished, I thought. They really successfully managed to unnerve me in the same way classic Lynch does. I hadn’t really heard anyone associate Control with any type of “horror” but it certainly managed to spook me throughout.

I eventually grew to appreciate the humour and general tone throughout. I think from afar I always thought this game looked really po-faced, but the collectible pieces of correspondence between staff and case studies etc often raised a smile.

Remedy’s world designer Stuart McDonald used to be an architect and the use of brutalist design throughout was a joy to run around and tear up. I had the Oldest House torn up and looking like St Peter’s Seminary, which is a place I’m sure Stuart McDonald will have visited and studied closely.

42 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Remedy’s world designer Stuart McDonald used to be an architect and the use of brutalist design throughout was a joy to run around and tear up. I had the Oldest House torn up and looking like St Peter’s Seminary, which is a place I’m sure Stuart McDonald will have visited and studied closely.

You weren't exaggerating! I'd no knowledge of that building but the similarities are uncanny in places.

So does the vanilla version of Control run any better on the Series X? I'm presuming its locked to 30fps? Any improvements other than loading times? I loved the game and fancy a playthrough again but not too sure about shelling our for the Ultimate edition.

8 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

You weren't exaggerating! I'd no knowledge of that building but the similarities are uncanny in places.

Yeah, if he’s a Scottish architect, trained and educated in Glasgow, and with such a deep understanding of brutalism as evidenced by his world design for Control, there’s no doubt in my mind he’s been all around the remains of the Seminary at least once or twice. I’ve only been fortunate to visit it once, but it’s almost like a rite of passage for people studying art and design in west coast Scotland to do so. Playing Control has really made me wanna go back. The time that I visited it there was all sorts of amazing light installations set up as part of an open evening tour, and it was pishing with rain. I wonder if Remedy’s guy was also there that night, seeing all the coloured lights illuminating a dark, murky, sodden interior was a pretty hallucinatory experience in and of itself.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Yeah, if he’s a Scottish architect, trained and educated in Glasgow, and with such a deep understanding of brutalism as evidenced by his world design for Control, there’s no doubt in my mind he’s been all around the remains of the Seminary at least once or twice. I’ve only been fortunate to visit it once, but it’s almost like a rite of passage for people studying art and design in west coast Scotland to do so. Playing Control has really made me wanna go back. The time that I visited it there was all sorts of amazing light installations set up as part of an open evening tour, and it was pishing with rain. I wonder if Remedy’s guy was also there that night, seeing all the coloured lights illuminating a dark, murky, sodden interior was a pretty hallucinatory experience in and of itself.

Never heard of it before. Tempted to go there when allowed. Hopefully I can get there fairy easy on public transport from Lanarkshire. 

2 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

So does the vanilla version of Control run any better on the Series X? I'm presuming its locked to 30fps? Any improvements other than loading times? I loved the game and fancy a playthrough again but not too sure about shelling our for the Ultimate edition.

It's locked to 30 I think but all the hitches with the map and menus seem to be ironed out. I definitely wouldn't give 505 any more fucking money for 60 frames and what seem to be intermittent crashes.

On 10/02/2021 at 12:43, Robo_1 said:

Honestly, I'm just coming off my first run through of Demon's Souls and everything pales to that right now, so I'm not sure if I'll be sticking with it when my Dark Souls trilogy set arrives, but I'm hopeful that it'll continue to get better and better, to the point that I'm willing to trudge through the exploration side of the game to get to the action set pieces.

Get used to this. Once you really come to love the Souls games, they kinda ruin other games. Especially other 3rd person melee games. I couldn't get any enjoyment out of God of War or the Witcher 3, because of them.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Never heard of it before. Tempted to go there when allowed. Hopefully I can get there fairy easy on public transport from Lanarkshire. 

Whatever route you take your destination via train is Cardross. I used to live there an often walked the dog nearby. Unbelievable thing to have just tucked away completely derelict but no less impressive and absolutely agree on the architecture comparisons.

8This game is utterly fucked on Series X. Now had about 10 hard crashes. And 2 of the crashes have bugged the game meaning I can't progress. Which means using level select and playing the entire thing again. 

Im at the end of a very long mission and it crashed. RIGHT AT THE VERY END! loaded back up and can't progress. 

It crashed as I was cleansing this point, after you cleanse it the red door is supposed to open and now I'm stuck. 

Think I'm done with this game. Pity, as I was loving it.

Edit: Doing some reading into it it seems it is a bug on all versions. Fucking hell. They couldn't even fix it for the ultimate version. 

Screenshot_20210211_195503.jpg

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

@Ry You could always try it on PS5 - it's free with PS+.

Similar issues have been reported on PS5. I will just restart the mission. Or wait for an update.