Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

I agree with @jonamok's map criticisms. It needs a zoom feature and a larger player icon. As a sofa player I'm sometimes finding it hard to see where I am for orientation purposes. I get the point about the signs and for the most part they have served me well, but a pulsing yellow dot or something would be an improvement for me.

Like @Floshenbarnical I too knew little about the game. The plot is a bit too far on the bonkers side of life for me but I'm enjoying the ride. There's too many collectibles to read and listen to though. I'm all for a bit of back story but it breaks the action up too much. I'd like one or two more puzzles like the lab one as well. 

Is there any purpose to the shelters (other than as um... a shelter)? They would have made more sense as save points. I keep knocking the umbrellas on tripods over. 

I remember commenting when it first came out that the shelters felt strangely underdeveloped. Early on I expected that each shelter might hold something different inside so you'd feel a bit of trepidation upon opening them. Would you find a morbid tableau inside? A unique boss or enemy encounter perhaps? A bit of narrative to digest?

I can't even remember what most shelters had in them now. Maybe nothing and occasionally the odd weapon mod or note?

Sure it’s been said elsewhere, but Control is the best Scarlett Witch game that Marvel will never make. 

Thought it got a bit one note after a while, then the Ashtray Maze sequence came along and blew me out of my socks. Amazing! 

Is the DLC worthwhile?

12 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

Is the DLC worthwhile?

It’s OK. The first set has a new-ish environment and some new powers, but is essentially more of the same. The second set is very much more of the same, with a slightly underwhelming Alan Wake crossover element and some underdeveloped new mechanics around darkness and light. 

If you’ve just finished the main game, I would wait a bit and come back to it later. 

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

Was it? I read that it was certainly a late addition as you were indeed meant to find your way around using the signposts, but I doubt they deliberately made it shit.

Pretty sure it was supposed to be just a rough outline originally with navigation mainly done in game.

They patched it to improve it after complaints following release but I guess the design of it meant it was hard to make it a clear map so it seems to me like a deliberate design choice at least originally 

The original plan was to have no map at all, and I think what we got is as much of a last-minute crude hack as it seems to be.

Exploring by following in-game maps and signs (and things like the hot and cold water pipes for the reactor, which I thought was cool) might've worked if the textures consistently streamed in right so you could read them.

I can't begin to tell you how irritating the texture streaming problem I have is. In fact, it's bad enough that I've sort of give up playing it. I play on PC, but no other game I have has the same issues, it's infuriating. It looks like a high res N64 game sometimes, and no amount of tinkering seems to help. 

26 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I haven’t played that game. I wanted to but I forgot it existed. Is it on PS4?

Quantum Break is Xbox country, published by Microsoft. It’s on Game Pass. 

24 minutes ago, Popo said:

Do! It’s probably the weakest of Remedy’s games, but that’s a bit like saying it’s the worst album the Beatles ever did (yes, I went there).

I don’t think Remedy are that good are they? It’s more like the worst Foo Fighters album or something. 

Just wanted to check something. 

I’m playing through (and totally loving) Alan Wake first before I start Control. 

There’s no need to play QB first as well is there? From any sort of setting or universe perspective? I know AW is supposed to be in the same universe but is QB pretty much standalone? 

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Just wanted to check something. 

I’m playing through (and totally loving) Alan Wake first before I start Control. 

There’s no need to play QB first as well is there? From any sort of setting or universe perspective? I know AW is supposed to be in the same universe but is QB pretty much standalone? 

There are Alan Wake references in QB and it's not without merit, but Control definitely feels more like the game it should have been. The various time powers are all aesthetically lush and enjoyable to pull off, but the combat as a whole never quite clicks together perfectly as it does in Max Payne, Alan Wake and Control. Definitely worth a try if you're digging their other stuff though, it's on Game Pass.

This game looks so fucking good I had just assumed I had it in Graphics mode until I checked after 6 hours - I’ve been in performance mode. Yes, graphics mode does make the shinies look a bit better eg water and stone etc but it is almost unplayable. 30 FPS my ass, I never want to play a non-60fps game ever again. I’m a slut for it now

Loved it!

Finished it yesterday evening on PS4 Pro. Loved it, I was all in right from the get go and it kept me engaged almost throughout. Apart from some rubbish boss fights I had a spectacular time with this. I'll be all over 2 Board 2 Control.

3 hours ago, Pug said:

Realised there's no HDR in this but it's on and overblowing the brights. Guess I golla turn it off in system settings (PS5).

Bit crap.

Yep, that's a design flaw of the PS5's OS. 

Well I certainly wasn't expecting to hear a cover version of a 50 year old Mud song in this. What a great moment! 

The main game seems to have gone straight into the first DLC right after the full credits. Might as well plough on then! 

18 hours ago, deerokus said:

No need to play Quantum Break, a game which is proper rubbish. Control is basically what that game should have been. 

Its definitely not proper rubbish - Remedy's weakest game? Probably (well after American Nightmare anyway which is very average) and it leans a bit too much into the rather middling TV show aspect but the game itself is genuine Remedy fun in the combat with the same engine as Control and some even more imaginative powers - there are a couple of set pieces in it that are better than anything in Control, although as a whole its a weaker game.

Basically if you love Remedy's stuff you'll (probably) like it - its less dated than Alan Wake, although lacks the cohesion and atmosphere that game still very much has...