Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Is that how they were sold? I don't remember Sony or MS saying they'd play everything at 4K60.

Maybe they didn't, but it was inferred certainly.

Also, I know it's a demanding game on PC - what I'm saying is that the settings level the consoles are running it at is probably comparable to what my 1080ti could do - the 60fps mode, my card won't go near ray tracing.

I suppose the fact they will do ray tracing, albeit at an unplayable frame rate, means they are more powerful than my PC. But I suspect the 60fps modes are comparable. 1440 etc. I think I'd have hoped for 4k 60 without RT. Or at least a rock solid 60 at 1440. Early days I guess.

There are plenty of other benefits my Series X provides, I'm not disappointed with it. It'd be worth it for quick resume alone really.

12 hours ago, CrichStand said:

It’s probably because both games are massively influenced by David Lynch.

Yeah, that no doubt added to it. I’ve played up to pulling a light switch that transported me to a motel, which was Twin Peaks Season 3 in the extreme. 

Having played through control on my one X at 30fps and find the RTX PS5 version just fine. Granted I’d like it at 60fps but the 30fps mode looks rather plasticky in comparison.

I generally find that whatever mode I start a game in is the one that sticks in my muscle memory. I’m sure if I’d played through Control in 60fps first time round I’d hate the graphics mode.

All the PC comparisons really miss the point that you’re playing on PC. Hunched over your WFH desk, on a tiny screen, in a lower resolution with your point and click RSI’d crab hands. 

Anyway, playing this on 30 with the shiny rainbow traces. Just as the developers intended. FPS is a myth.

4 hours ago, Mogster said:

As ever, this isn't a thing. The PS4 and PS5 aren't that different in terms of hardware (other than power obviously), and even then it's not like the PS5 version is wasting resources emulating a PS4. 

So a ground up PS5 game won’t be optimised or the code structured any differently to a last gen version converted to PS5 or anything else? There’ll be no inefficiencies in the coding that were a last gen workaround etc. that wouldn’t now be required?

2 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

So a ground up PS5 game won’t be optimised or the code structured any differently to a last gen version converted to PS5 or anything else? There’ll be no inefficiencies in the coding that were a last gen workaround etc. that wouldn’t now be required?

There's nothing radically different the PS5 hardware compared to the PS4, or indeed the Xbox One/S/X consoles or PCs. They all use the same technologies, and the PS4 version isn't holding any of them back in any way that I can think of.

You'd expect any clever coding designed to speed up processing on the old consoles to work even faster on the PS5.

Just now, Mogster said:

There's nothing radically different the PS5 hardware compared to the PS4, or indeed the Xbox One/S/X consoles or PCs. They all use the same technologies, and the PS4 version isn't holding any of them back in any way that I can think of.

You'd expect any clever coding designed to speed up processing on the old consoles to work even faster on the PS5.

Yep, I just thought that as you see a lot of progression during a generation that some of that will be down to improved code libraries but some of the rest will be due to a better understanding of the machine and how to code efficiently on it etc. Maybe we’ll see less of that with these machines than we did last gen as they’re just an evolution.

3 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

All the PC comparisons really miss the point that you’re playing on PC. Hunched over your WFH desk, on a tiny screen, in a lower resolution with your point and click RSI’d crab hands. 

Anyway, playing this on 30 with the shiny rainbow traces. Just as the developers intended. FPS is a myth.

Nah I play on my PC from my sofa on my 55" OLED with a controller so that's an outdated view.

I would say that I tried this last night in graphics mode for 30 minutes but I found the gameplay boring so went back to Hades, but the framerate didn't bother me at all and I've been playing exclusively 60fps-120fps games on my PC for the last month. I did turn off motion blur and film grain though not sure if that helps it not feel like total shit.

On 02/02/2021 at 18:37, Timmo said:

Jesus, if you're gonna release a next gen remaster of a game at least ensure it hits a stable frame rate. Should be a law.

It's not a remaster. It's the same game with the settings cranked up a bit.

If the frame rate isn't stable then they have cranked the settings past the point the new consoles can handle.

6 hours ago, Mogster said:

You'd need a real beast of a PC to run Control at 4K60 with raytracing and no DLSS. I'm not sure it's even possible with currently available hardware.

It's not really possible at the moment, no. Not at native 4k. A 3080 will run Control at 30-35fps at native 4K with high ray tracing and no DLSS. But the ray tracing is significantly more advanced than what you get on consoles.

It'll run it at 1440p with high ray tracing and no DLSS at over 60 though.

And with DLSS at 1440p you can run it with High Ray tracing at over 100fps.

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Or you plug your PC into your living room TV and play it on the sofa? This is a really out of date post.

I think a lot of this is me getting impatient as I get older but, considering this was lauded as something special, I’m going to assume this is at least in some way representative of where gaming is at. 

I just started and walked up to the flags in the lobby to see how they moved and they jerked about as I got near, without even touching them. 

You can have all the shiny ray tracing you like but we’re still a long way from even getting the basics right. 

I think I do have much stricter and higher expectations from games and I should just get on with enjoying them but as I get older my interest needs to be fed more realistic worlds than higher res versions of the ones I’ve done this shit in for decades. 

I’m sometimes amazed by things in games but I’m also still often disappointed. 

I might get love this game and that’s all that matters, but the idea I had, that I might be especially impressed by it, was gone in that moment. 

48 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Or you plug your PC into your living room PC and play it on the sofa? This is a really out of date post.

Still not comparable. For starters way more tweaking involved to get things right, more dependancies with drivers and configuration, and since PCs are mostly not only for gaming, for most people they will be on a desk. If you have it connected to both a desk and TV you still need to mess with your keyboard before starting your game etc. 

Both have their place in gaming and I like both (but mostly for different types of games e.g. RTS on PC) but to compare them 1:1 is madness. The closest you will come is a Steambox and guess why that failed, it wasn't as plug-and-play. Consoles are great value for 299-499. 

I use an Nvidia Shield TV with a wireless Xbox pad that's connected to my PC via powerline ethernet and it's literally as simple as selecting a game on there (or selecting Steam big picture mode) to boot something up.

Zero keyboard faff required.

But we are digressing from the topic of Control here.

Just the idea that you need to fuck about with drivers and configuration and need a mouse and keyboard to play PC games on your big living room TV is seriously outdated in 2021.

8 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Just the idea that you need to fuck about with drivers and configuration and need a mouse and keyboard to play PC games on your big living room TV is seriously outdated in 2021.

Yet that is what I have been doing for the last few years on my PC. Maybe I am doing it all wrong. 

On the topic of Control: it is a rough diamond. I love the atmosphere and most of the gameplay, but it is a bit rough around the edges and often sails into uncanny valley territory. 

I use a PC connected to monitors and a TV, and use a batch file to switch between them. I then just use a Xbox Series controller connected wirelessly.

There is indeed more faff involved to get games launched and running just right, but not that much more and the results are more than worth it for me.

Consoles are an absolute bargain by comparison obviously, have instant resume which is never going to happen on PCs, and HDR is a mess here too. Consoles will always be more convenient, but the idea that PC gaming somehow forces you to use a desk and a monitor is bizarre. Many people use consoles at a desk with a monitor, and many people use PCs with a TV while sat on the sofa.

This is one of those few games that made me feel bad for not having it bought it on release. The Evil Within 2 and Rage 2 are other examples.

Control is fantastic, loving every bit so far on PS4 Pro.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Precisely. I have had a PC pretty much as a direct replacement for consoles in my living room since September. It’s been a fucking revelation. 

Stupidly expensive mind. I completely understand I’m in a fortunate position. But it’s pretty much no compromise 4K and 60fps+ gaming whatever you play. 

I’m enjoying the game and it does looks good in places - more due to great location design than tech in my opinion - but the fact it doesn’t even have HDR on the series X ultimate edition they made owners of the base game pay for is, well, pretty fucking shit. 

The game has never had HDR, it was never made for it, and the devs had the sense to just say so and not tack it on to jump on the bandwagon like some other devs *cough* Rockstar *cough* CDPR *cough*.

Was apprehensive to try graphics mode after reading some comments on here but it's really really solid on the Series X!

Looks amazing and plays great! Loving Control all over again!

Only a couple of hours in, and a lot to like, but two things I absolutely hate.

1. The map is terrible. Really difficult to work out where to go, and needs a zoom (unless I’m missing it). For a game that prides itself on other accessibility settings, having no way-finding beyond a named area highlighted in yellow has had me stumped for minutes at a time. Perhaps that’s appropriate given the whole shtick of the Oldest House, but it’s occasionally annoying nonetheless.

2. I wish there was a way to selectively mute the hiss chunnering all the fucking time. It’s annoying as fuck and is on the same audio slider as everyone else’s dialogue. Stupid decision. I’ve taken to shooting every hovering fuck, as I think making them disappear is reducing the volume a bit. No idea if that has future gameplay implications, but I care not.

But yeah, graphics, combat and world-building are all very good.

42 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Only a couple of hours in, and a lot to like, but two things I absolutely hate.

1. The map is terrible. Really difficult to work out where to go, and needs a zoom (unless I’m missing it). For a game that prides itself on other accessibility settings, having no way-finding beyond a named area highlighted in yellow has had me stumped for minutes at a time. Perhaps that’s appropriate given the whole shtick of the Oldest House, but it’s occasionally annoying nonetheless.

2. I wish there was a way to selectively mute the hiss chunnering all the fucking time. It’s annoying as fuck and is on the same audio slider as everyone else’s dialogue. Stupid decision. I’ve taken to shooting every hovering fuck, as I think making them disappear is reducing the volume a bit. No idea if that has future gameplay implications, but I care not.

But yeah, graphics, combat and world-building are all very good.

The oblique map is a design decision - you're meant to use your eyes in the game world rather than the overview map.  The game is set in an office building and there are literally signs everywhere

Just been playing this for the first time for a couple hours and it’s absolutely batshit crazy, my favorite two hours of gaming in my entire life.

I knew nothing about it other than it had a ginger woman and was written by the madman Sam Lake, so was probably a little on the strange side. 

Little did I know

Good shrooms over in Finland I guess

edit: there’s a little room in Research where a Poets of the Fall song is playing, who did mona’s song for max payne 2

9 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

The oblique map is a design decision - you're meant to use your eyes in the game world rather than the overview map.  The game is set in an office building and there are literally signs everywhere

Was it? I read that it was certainly a late addition as you were indeed meant to find your way around using the signposts, but I doubt they deliberately made it shit.