rllmuk
Cosmic_Guru

(Are you in) Control? - 27 August

~Finally~ got around to playing Alan Wake: The Writer and its spiralling weirdness has me really set up to try Control. What's the best way to get this assuming I'm getting the DLC? Just watch for the digital deluxe getting cheap on the PSN? Any cheap physical copies on the go?

@Alex W.

£24.85 at Base.com

Same price as digital but can resell for a few quid once done.

I've done it on PS4 but want to play it again and have been looking for a cheap Xbox One copy to play on the X.

• Upvote 1

Just started replaying Alan Wake on Game Pass and it holds up so, so well. Still looks great as well, resolution aside. Hyped to see what they do with that universe in the second DLC.

Was there a reason they never went back to it for a sequel? It’s easily the best thing they’ve ever done.

Crap sales, I think. 

Judging by the hints about the next Control DLC though, Remedy have found a way around that...

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

Crap sales, I think. 

That'll be a no.

That tweet is five years after Alan Wake launched. At launch it was a bit of a flop commercially. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Revival said:

That'll be a no.

Very respectable figures no doubt, but as Sam Lake (Max Payne himself!) explains here, the lack of knock-out day one sales did scupper future projects. 

One can only assume Microsoft as publisher were spooked and didn’t have enough confidence in the IP. 

I would also hasten to add that I think Control is the best thing they’ve ever done. :D

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Popo said:

One can only assume Microsoft as publisher were spooked and didn’t have enough confidence in the IP. 

I'm pretty sure that was the case. I remember hearing in the lead up to the Xbox One launch that Remedy had actively been pitching Alan Wake 2 to Microsoft. But, due to the disappointing performance of the first game, they weren't really biting and asked if Remedy had any other ideas for suitable Xbox One projects - they did, and that project became Quantum Break. You can kinda see the logic of the infamous Xbox team from back then (the "TV-TV-TV / SPORTS-SPORTS-SPORTS" dudes) being way more interested in the idea of a "multimedia" experience where the game part interacted with a live action TV show part.

I wasn't too crazy about Quantum Break tbh. I consider it their weakest game, even though it was fun enough to finish it. Unlike Alan Wake though I've never had the desire to return to it or wished there was a sequel. So I'm still bummed out that we got QB instead of Alan Wake 2. 

• Upvote 2

I seem to remember Alan Wake came out either immediately before or immediately after Red Dead Redemption and was swallowed up as a result.

It’s not like MS didn’t spend anything marketing it, they made a whole 6-part miniseries leading up to the launch.

32 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I seem to remember Alan Wake came out either immediately before or immediately after Red Dead Redemption and was swallowed up as a result.

It’s not like MS didn’t spend anything marketing it, they made a whole 6-part miniseries leading up to the launch.

In the UK it was a week before. I remember because back then I was skint, so had to trade Alan Wake in to buy Red Dead when it came out. I was a bit gutted, but I bought the collectors edition a while later, and still have it. Replayed it last year actually. :)

54 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Hey I did my part and bought this beauty day one:

IMG-20200524-WA0022.thumb.jpg.bd4bf4ac0e2aed9d8e37213923c3c625.jpg

I then bought it again on Steam, and again a third time with the digital version on Xbox One. How many times must I buy Alan Wake before they finally get to make a sequel?!

In other news, I was waiting for the game that this thread's actually about to come to Game Pass but fuck it and just bought Control in the sale :)

• Upvote 4

Quantum Break is definitely their weakest game, although not without its moments. All Remedy games basically have a single combat mechanic, honed to absolute perfection, that the entire thing is built around.

The problem is that perfect balance is missing from Quantum Break’s time mechanics, and the combat don’t feel quite as polished and satisfying as Max Payne/Alan Wake/Control as a result. On top of this is level design feels constrained by the mundane settings they could afford to shoot the live action sections, meaning lots of warehouses and dockyards, so it’s lacking that usual Remedy magic there as well.

It’s still fun enough for a run through though, and you can definitely see the DNA for Control in all the gorgeous whiz-bang time effects.

• Upvote 1

As somebody who really enjoyed Alan Wake, I’m disappointed in what I’ve played of Control. I don’t normally abandon games but this I’m going to have to.

I don’t know if it’s partly due to being in lockdown and being stuck inside the majority of the day, but the environments in this game just has me wanting more. It’s so grey, it’s so dull, it’s so samey. 

Other criticisms are the poor checkpoint system, the crappy map and layout, the constant feeling of what the hell is going in (sometimes I don’t mind that and I know it’s because I’m not reading the collectibles but this game doesn’t make me want to) and a frequent slowdown on the ps4 hardware. I also couldn’t figure out the upgrading weapons system properly.

I did like the mechanics and satisfaction of grabbing and throwing items.

I’m just glad I got this in PSNow. A couple of times in the past, I was tempted to buy it but I’m glad I never.

I guess this is just one I’m against the grain with but I feel all the better for giving up on it.

Control is probably a better game than Quantum Break, but gosh I'm such a sucker for time travel shit. I hope they're gonna do more sci-fi in the future.

Update on my purchase, whether I regret it or not: I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THIS FULL PRICE IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD!

For real, I might be enjoying this even more than Alan Wake. I love the feel and the weight of the shooting, exactly how I like it. As if Remedy designed a game special for little old me :wub: Love the telekinesis, love the weird atmosphere. Like X-Files crossed with Twilight Zone but moar satire. Perfect. The FMV is good again, classic Remedy. I'm fucking loving this so much. Pure undistilled fun.

Best purchase ever :D

• Upvote 8

I finished this over the weekend (having finally finished Quantum Break last month) and I'm so pleased for Remedy. This feels like they finally nailed everything they've been striving for in their past games: the fluid, powers enhanced, combat; the pulpy genre setting; the integration of text, audio and video into the game world; the atmospheric art direction - they landed it all.

I enjoyed the combat so much, and the sheer number of options open to you in each encounter, that I found myself disappointed when enemies didn't respawn in an area.

The upgrade system is over designed, but I welcomed the opportunity to create specific "builds" to suit different play styles.

• Upvote 3

Yeah it's exactly like to you say - everything you'd consider 'typical Remedy' is better in Control than it was in any of their previous games. Man, why wasn't I informed sooner?! I'm going to buy it on Epic also just to have an excuse to throw more money their way for this fantastic piece of entertainment.

8 hours ago, MechE said:

I enjoyed the combat so much, and the sheer number of options open to you in each encounter, that I found myself disappointed when enemies didn't respawn in an area.

Haha, exactly the same here. I'm all in the flow, pure exhilaration, flinging bits of debris at one enemy, headshotting the one next over, avoid a rocket, more debris suckers, mind control one of their stupid friends, and all of a sudden the music dies down but it' always takes a few seconds before my own intensity does too, looking for MORE MORE CANNON FODDER :lol:

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah it's exactly like to you say - everything you'd consider 'typical Remedy' is better in Control than it was in any of their previous games. Man, why wasn't I informed sooner?! I'm going to buy it on Epic also just to have an excuse to throw more money their way for this fantastic piece of entertainment.

Haha, exactly the same here. I'm all in the flow, pure exhilaration, flinging bits of debris at one enemy, headshotting the one next over, avoid a rocket, more debris suckers, mind control one of their stupid friends, and all of a sudden the music dies down but it's always a few seconds before my own intensity does too, looking for MORE MORE CANNON FODDER :lol:

Have you tried grabbing their rockets and throwing them back yet. That never gets old!

• Upvote 1

On 24/05/2020 at 22:05, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hey I did my part and bought this beauty day one:

IMG-20200524-WA0022.thumb.jpg.bd4bf4ac0e2aed9d8e37213923c3c625.jpg

I then bought it again on Steam, and again a third time with the digital version on Xbox One. How many times must I buy Alan Wake before they finally get to make a sequel?!

In other news, I was waiting for the game that this thread's actually about to come to Game Pass but fuck it and just bought Control in the sale :)

I feel you bro

101513894_10158116644910803_306367793261

Did you notice Alice's face in the water on the 360 version? :) 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Have you tried grabbing their rockets and throwing them back yet. That never gets old!

Not yet, but working my way towards it!

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I feel you bro

101513894_10158116644910803_306367793261

Did you notice Alice's face in the water on the 360 version? :) 

Excellent.

And no, I never did in fact:o

• Upvote 2

Also, the reflected 'trees' are Taken.

I can't check as I already own it, but the Control Season Pass should be eligible for the EGS sale voucher making it £10 on PC. Can't imagine it'll go cheaper before the second DLC pack releases.

38 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Also, the reflected 'trees' are Taken.

I can't check as I already own it, but the Control Season Pass should be eligible for the EGS sale voucher making it £10 on PC. Can't imagine it'll go cheaper before the second DLC pack releases.

Can confirm the season pass is only a tenner in the sale as I bought it last night.

Only started this myself at the weekend despite buying it in the last massive sale at Xmas.

It’s really bloody brilliant

Digital Deluxe is down to £34.99 in the Days of Play sale. Not quite the best price it's ever been (Standard Edition has been £19.99 and Season Pass has been £9.99) but I went for it. :) 

• Upvote 1

This is in the Epic mega sale for about £24.00 , then there is a £10 voucher you can add to it if anyone is interested.

PC, as obviously, the best way to play it :P

Somehow I'd completely missed the jukebox/expeditions add-on to this, I booted it up on Xbox to see if the DLC was out for it yet (it isn't) but ended up being greeted with a load of new content anyway. It's hard! Love the location though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Somehow I'd completely missed the jukebox/expeditions add-on to this, I booted it up on Xbox to see if the DLC was out for it yet (it isn't) but ended up being greeted with a load of new content anyway. It's hard! Love the location though.

Stupid question; I've recently bought this abd avoiding all spoilers until then. So I have no idea: is the jukebox content currently in the Xbox version this new content you speak of?