Hitcher

Hitman 2 (2018)

Can already feel my graphics card grinding to a stuttery halt on that stage :lol:

I'd forgotten how ropey the engine for the last game is, performance-wise. It took a few patches and a lot of fiddling to get a fairly solid 60fps out of it on release, something's obviously changed since because I went to play it again before uninstalling and it was back to being a right state.

I gather it's always been a bit better on AMD hardware though.

There is a free Halloween pack (for the current Hitman game)  at the moment. It says it is only available for a limited time. Around an 8 gig download

Xbox One version here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/hitman-halloween-pack/c0p287tqfzmr#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

PS4 version: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0082-CUSA02369_00-00000OCTOBERPACK?emcid=ps-we-5-89521

• Upvote 1

So we now have each of the six locations and it looks like one of them is a spiritual sequel to A New Life which is incredibly exciting for obvious reasons :omg:

Also two of them look like they could be a bit darker than anything in the base Season 1 game which is, again, something I was hoping to see as Season 1 was largely very glossy and exotic in terms of set-ups. Looks like we have a more even split between sunny/exotic and darker missions.

5_Whittleton_Creek.png

6_Isle_of_Sgail.png

04_Mumbai.png

1_Hawkes_Bay.png

2_Miami-1024x576.png

3_Santa_Fortuna.png

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-locations-reveal/

• Upvote 2

I bough the complete edition of the first game a while ago but have only really played it properly in recent weeks, so this sequel will have to wait for a while. But man, they really nailed the old Hitman feel of those huge clockwork levels absolutely crammed with opportunities and possibilities. They're so incredibly well-designed and I've only seen Paris and Sapienza (which is an absolute masterpiece) so far.

Returning to American suburbia in the next game is an inspired choice and the F1 paddock is ripe with possibilities. Really glad that IO have been able to stay alive and realise their unique vision.

Reviews for this are coming in and it's getting mostly solid 8s - consensus seems to be more of the same as 2016 but with a few minor improvements, which is quite literally all I was looking for.

Warning if you've preordered this or are buying this digitally - I just checked my console last night to see if this had preloaded and it had, but only the Prologue - each level has its own separate download and these did not preload automatically, I had to trigger them myself. Over 30gbs in total. Presumably a relic of when the game was still episodic. 

• Upvote 3

Noone else playing this? It's essentially more of the same, but the new maps are really good and every bit the equal of the best from 2016. The old maps are well integrated into this release too, so you end up with the whole sandbox easily accessible. 

I mean, it's not yet out for those of us who didn't preorder the fancy pants edition, so... 

Very much looking forward to playing it when I can, though! Not tonight, alas, as I'm not home until late, but hopefully tomorrow I'll be getting my murder on. 

Ah, sorry, I hadn't realised it hadn't come out at midnight. I had a quiet weekend and had been looking forward to this for ages so was tempted into treating myself! I suppose that's the point of these editions. 

Hope you enjoy it later on!

Oh I'd absolutely have done the same if I'd had the money to spare! I'm glad to hear the new maps are good, can't wait to get my teeth into them :)

I bought the Gold Edition and have only played for a couple of hours before going back to RDR2. No reflection on Hitman, I just realised it was going to be really hard going back and forth between the controls and systems of each game so it makes more sense to finish that off first. That could still be a couple of weeks though.

I played the New Zealand level a few times and then about an hour of Miami but made little significant progress. Miami is insanely large, I didn't even see one of the targets the entire time during that hour, the race ended before I could interact with it, there's a hotel I didn't get the chance to explore - almost overwhelming even for someone accustomed to Hitman.

One negative though, it's a bit of a swizz to talk of 6 locations and then have one of them - New Zealand - essentially be a tiny tutorial. I have nothing against smaller Hitman levels per se (in fact I often prefer them) but New Zealand is very limited so you really only get 5 full fat levels. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Majora said:

I bought the Gold Edition and have only played for a couple of hours before going back to RDR2. No reflection on Hitman, I just realised it was going to be really hard going back and forth between the controls and systems of each game so it makes more sense to finish that off first. That could still be a couple of weeks though.

I played the New Zealand level a few times and then about an hour of Miami but made little significant progress. Miami is insanely large, I didn't even see one of the targets the entire time during that hour, the race ended before I could interact with it, there's a hotel I didn't get the chance to explore - almost overwhelming even for someone accustomed to Hitman.

One negative though, it's a bit of a swizz to talk of 6 locations and then have one of them - New Zealand - essentially be a tiny tutorial. I have nothing against smaller Hitman levels per se (in fact I often prefer them) but New Zealand is very limited so you really only get 5 full fat levels.

It's 6 + New Zealand isn't it?

Miami

Colombia

Mumbai

Whittleton Creek

Isle of Sgàil

Himmelstein

Or is the last one not a proper level either?

In any case, I didn't realise it wasn't out properly today either. There was something on Hotukdeals about the Legacy Upgrade Pack being 'free' for the Xbox, so you can play the old Hitman 2016 levels in upgraded form via the Hitman 2 prologue download (which is available now). So I played through Paris and Sapienza with the new mechanics - briefcase, picture-in-picture, crowd-blending, foliage-hiding etc. The front-end and post-mission debrief is much slicker and quicker, and the whole thing feels really optimised. It was brilliant as always but I tend to agree with Majora that flitting between that and RDR2 will be an exercise in confusion.

• Upvote 1

Himmelstein I think is the Sniper Assassin mode's map. The 5 main levels are meant to be huge- I've only played through Miami and a bit of Colombia but they are enormous.

Yeah, I'm excited to play through this as I loved what they did with the reboot but it's came at the worst possible time. There's no way I'll be finished with RDR2 before Xmas, at the rate I'm getting to play it. 

Will pick this up when it's out just to support the game.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Pob said:

It's 6 + New Zealand isn't it?

Miami

Colombia

Mumbai

Whittleton Creek

Isle of Sgàil

Himmelstein

Himmelstein is a sniper level, so there's only 5 large levels + New Zealand as a tutorial, whereas Hitman 2016 had 6 large levels + the 2 tutorial levels (which are also included in Hitman 2 as optional 'you can do these if you want or skip them' levels after New Zealand ends.)

You can definitely feel some of the upheaval at IO, and likely budget cuts, in aspects of the presentation. The menus are updated nicely and you still have those slickly animated mission briefings, but the CG cutscenes have been replaced by barely animated storyboards with VA. I really couldn't care less about the story anyway, but it's startling how budget they feel, especially in comparison to the first game. I guess they couldn't utilise Square-Enix's CG department this time around. 

The meat of the game is still as good as ever, but I reckon you can definitely sense a tightening of the purse strings around that. Given everything that went on at IO over the past year or two it's understandable, of course. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

I mean, it's not yet out for those of us who didn't preorder the fancy pants edition, so... 

It is out today isn't it? The Xbox store and the email I just got from IO say out now.

This 'pay more play early' really fucks up launch day buzz if you don't even know when it is.