JohnC

The Lego Movie 2 - The Second Part

I have a pretty strict no sequel rule. Sequels mainly exist for revenue purposes only and they dilute my emotional resonance to characters and moments in time. 

I will watch them if they exist to further the conversation. Even if not by design. 

Bill and Ted's bogus journey needed to taken. They had to die to know how to live (and rock). 

To that end I can't recommend The Lego Movie 2 enough. Lord and Miller once again use the building blocks of play to philosophise and harmonise with some greater truth. Change, acceptance, puberty, love... All themes are given the plastic treatment (and plastic is the only unspoken remaining issue with this otherwise wholly wonderful central conversation) 

It's funny, it's fast, it's musical and it gives your heart a hug. It doesn't overplay the social mores or the pop culture winks. It also has the same sophisticated humour of the first one. Like a trip to the psychiatrists coach sponsored by Robin Williams and Mountain Dew. 

Excellent excellent stuff

• Upvote 4

Yup, those credits are cool.  I spent ages trying to figure out if they were actually models or animations or some insane combination of both.  In the end I figured it was pretty pointless trying to figure it out.  

On 09/02/2019 at 20:43, Goose said:

I was surprised to see this is flopping in the US. 

Flopping is a bit strong; it opened less well than expected at $34m.

The budgets for blockbuster animated films are about half what they are for live action, so if this makes $400m worldwide, I think Warners will be happy enough.

So. 

3 days later I awaken, and like some

kind of musica delayed timer bomb, or an earworm sleeper agent, I have that song stuck in my head.

It started playing as soon as I opened my eyes and is firmly entrenched.  

Going to see this with the family later this week, although I see it’s seriosuly underperformed at the Box Office compared to the first one. I remember when they announced that they were going to do Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago before getting to Lego Movie 2 and thinking “that seems like a really long time to wait for the sequel”. Don’t know if that’s had an impact on the Box Office (and although Lego Batman and Ninjago were decent, they were nowhere near as good as the Lego Movie, I wonder if that has impacted on the Box Office too).

Wouldn’t be surprised that instead of a third film, instead there’s an announcement around an exclusive Netflix series like “The further adventures of Emmet and Wildstyle”, like Boss Baby, The Croods, Captain Underpants, Trolls, Cloudy with a chance of meatballs etc. Not voiced by the original cast, of course....

Spoiler

I realised afterwards that the chorus of the Queen's "Not Evil" song (which I think was the best song in the film, and catchier than "Catchy Song") was really similar to Rachel Bloom's novelty song "Fuck Me Ray Bradbury". I can't tell if the chord changes are the same, but the syllable rhythm is very close:

Queen Watevra Wa'Nabi

The least evil queen in history

Fuck me, Ray Bradbury

The greatest sci-fi writer in history

:o

I've had a think about it, and I think the one thing that really disappointed me about this film was that despite a lengthy space section, there was very little Benny, and only a few blink-and-you'll-miss-'em references to 70's/80's space Lego. :angry:

• Upvote 1

Saw it, lots of fun but left disappointed. First one felt more refreshing/edgy, this felt like it was repeating a lot of the same gags again and again. Am I mad to think the first one had much better comedy writing?

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Capwn said:

Saw it, lots of fun but left disappointed. First one felt more refreshing/edgy, this felt like it was repeating a lot of the same gags again and again. Am I mad to think the first one had much better comedy writing?

The first was written and directed by Lord and Miller. This one used a Lord and Miller screenplay but was directed by the guy who brought us Duece Bigalow and Shrek 4.

• Upvote 1

My thoughts...

The family story framing it was strong. I thought the twist was surprisingly well-conceived. The themes around tolerance, misplaced aggression and toxic masculinity were politically-timely and well-handled. The 3 new songs were fun though “stuck in your head” song did not get stuck in my head. I couldn’t pick it out of a line-up.

The bad...

I found Apocalypseberg a pretty drab setting and that section dragged. It wasn’t as visually imaginative or arresting as the first film, the characters a little stale, and fewer jokes hit for me.

Usually a film like this is frontloaded with quickfire gags, but this didn’t pass the 6 laugh test in it’s duration. Maybe 3-4 mild chuckles. Despite the complex plotting and some unlikely references, it seemed to be aimed at a younger audience than the first. 

It’s not a bad sequel and it should be applauded for what it sets out to do. But the franchise has hit diminished returns already - I don’t think the Lego World stuff was as witty or fun as the first film.

• Upvote 2

I’ll also probably have to look on the net to find out ...

the raptor names - I didn’t catch all of them but there was Ripley, Connor and Quaid? So Aliens, Terminator, Total Recall? Any connection ?

I was really disappointed with this. Barely laughed at all, and it just felt it was missing all the amazing originality of the first. And since the real life element is known, the pay off was really obvious.

Think the biggest comment I could make is that I’d happily sit down and watch the original right now, having watched it probably about 10 times already, whereas I’m not bothered about seeing this again at all.

Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago (the latter I enjoyed far more than I thought I would) are both far funnier and better movies for me.

• Upvote 2

Went to a 4DX showing with my daughter yesterday. We both feel the first is the stronger of the two. Less laughs overall and just didn't have the same charm as the first. Still good just not as good. I would agree that the Lego Batman film was stronger too.