Dinobot

2018 FIFA World Cup

I think VAR has been a huge success, I've always supported its introduction but was really worried that FIFA were going to totally balls up its implementation and kill it dead.

It will really help to clean up the game and removes much of the post match anger and blame game that has got so tedious in all forms of football. We'll see an adjustment period for things like corners or FKs, with England's screen runs and group of players being picked up by teams when its introduced in the league.

People will cite things like the pen in the final against Croatia (which I don't think was a pen) but that really isn't a VAR problem itself in how the system has been implemented - if the ref is invited to look at something as they think he may have missed it, then he looks at that thinks its a pen, the problem is still a human one with interpretation of rules.

I only see it as a positive, the flow of games was mostly the same, the reviews were very fast and its only a good thing as far as I can see.

• Upvote 5

I doubt Pogba will leave. He hasn't shown anything we know he isn't already capable of - flashes of brilliance but prone to going absent for large swathes of games. 

Anyway, as nice as it would have been to see a new name on the trophy I'm a bit glad it wasn't Croatia. I'm sure the Scots will claim it's sour grapes, and I guess it's partially down to that, but what really grated was the switch in tone from 'po' little us, smallest world cup nation' all tournament long to incessant crowing once they reached the final. Dejan 'best defender in the world' Lovren and Modric especially should have toned it down a bit. 

• Upvote 1

This was the best world cup ever for very personal reasons. When I was ten years old, one Deigo Maradonna put us out of the World Cup and I was devastated. It was the first time, properly that I'd gotten involved in the world cup, football had suddenly made sense to me, the jubilation, the crushing devastation, the passion, the emotion of it all. It was a turning point in my life of watching and enjoying football.

This year my daughter turned ten, and this year she suddenly twigged why me (and her mum) enjoy football. Her messages from the night sum it up for me:

Capture.thumb.PNG.635cf77e881c81097bf926b04f8a9669.PNG

England didn't bring the world cup home, but football definitely came home for me this tournament.....

Now do I force her down the Bristol Rovers route, like my old man did to me? Or let her support Spurs, like her mum does...? :D

Either way, it's going to end in disappointment isn't it? :lol: 

• Upvote 9

Dejan 'world class' Lovren has been saying that France 'didnt play football' and they had 'one tactic' through the entire tournament.

Not quite as sour grapes as Hazard and Courtois in the semi, but good to see he is just as bad at losing as he is at winning. 

what I found quite interesting was the xG map for the game - Lovren does come across as sour but Croatia were actually the better team. France know how to win though.

5 hours ago, Danster said:

This was the best world cup ever for very personal reasons. When I was ten years old, one Deigo Maradonna put us out of the World Cup and I was devastated. It was the first time, properly that I'd gotten involved in the world cup, football had suddenly made sense to me, the jubilation, the crushing devastation, the passion, the emotion of it all. It was a turning point in my life of watching and enjoying football.

This year my daughter turned ten, and this year she suddenly twigged why me (and her mum) enjoy football. Her messages from the night sum it up for me:

Capture.thumb.PNG.635cf77e881c81097bf926b04f8a9669.PNG

That’s basically the voices I have in my head but in text format.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

It will really help to clean up the game and removes much of the post match anger and blame game that has got so tedious in all forms of football. We'll see an adjustment period for things like corners or FKs, with England's screen runs and group of players being picked up by teams when its introduced in the league.

If they use it to more or less eradicate diving as well then this might be true. There didn't seem to be any sign of that this time around, sadly, but I think it would make a big difference. It's bad enough when you lose via a penalty but that's magnified greatly when it came about through (in slow motion) blatant cheating. If players know they will be punished for serious exaggeration / invention then they'll stop and this will also make getting decisions right a lot easier.

I guess my other concern would be that they've only made this a reasonably successful experiment by throwing fairly vast resources at it. That might be just about practical in PL games but what about elsewhere - the cups, the Championship, etc.?

I never get the ‘what about the lower leagues’ question. 

You throw resources at the bigger leagues and events, the lower leagues simply don’t merit ithe investment, so can make do with a ref and linos as they always have. 

• Upvote 1

While I'm on the subject, something else that would help would be clarifying what exactly the hell an intentional handball is actually supposed to be. By any sensible definition of 'intentional', you could pretty much never give a penalty for a handball, and you certainly wouldn't have given that one in the final. I think that pretty much the only genuinely deliberate examples are where a defender blocks a shot their hand on the line. So clearly this isn't the definition, and instead we start talking about things like 'unnatural positions', 'ball to hand', and so on. I doubt that any two people have the same idea of what actually constitutes a penalty offence, which hardly helps to dampen arguments on the subject.

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

You throw resources at the bigger leagues and events, the lower leagues simply don’t merit ithe investment, so can make do with a ref and linos as they always have. 

I think the question is more: where's the cut off? Are the stakes high enough in the Championship? What about the FA Cup? The final matters, surely, but what about the second round?

Also, not that I really agree, but in the past the FA's stance has always been that the game should fundamentally be the same at all levels, and this was always one roadblock to solutions like VAR or Hawkeye or whatever.

• Upvote 1

They applied VAR to the FA Cup this year though. Although I can't find (via a brief Google) what round they started using in.

31 minutes ago, Gotters said:

You wouldn't as you aren't a lower league supporter. The lower leagues are a massive part of our football culture. Sunderland are now classed as a lower league side by the way. Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield, Swansea, Hull City, Leeds Utd and Forest have also been in League 1 and or 2 amongst others.

Attendances for teams outside of the Premier League are impressive.

https://www.efl.com/news/2017/november/efl-attendances-continue-to-increase-across-all-competitions/

The increase follows a landmark season for attendances in the Sky Bet EFL in 2016/17, with more than 18.2million people going to matches in either the Championship, League One or League Two as clubs recorded their highest cumulative attendances since 1959.

36 minutes ago, hmm said:

I think the question is more: where's the cut off? Are the stakes high enough in the Championship? What about the FA Cup? The final matters, surely, but what about the second round?

Also, not that I really agree, but in the past the FA's stance has always been that the game should fundamentally be the same at all levels, and this was always one roadblock to solutions like VAR or Hawkeye or whatever.

I think that with Rugby League, if the tech is there then they use it.  I don't really have a problem with applying that logic to football.

What a fucking FANTASTIC tournament.

Without doubt the best World Cup I can remember in terms of entertainment, drama and quality.

But I think this has to be the best for other reasons - the shocks, the weather, England surpassing all expectations. When we talk about nostalgia (e.g. 1990) then I think in decades to come, people will look back on this tournament with the same kind of fondness.

Good memories, great tournament.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

You wouldn't as you aren't a lower league supporter. The lower leagues are a massive part of our football culture. Sunderland are now classed as a lower league side by the way. Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield, Swansea, Hull City, Leeds Utd and Forest have also been in League 1 and or 2 amongst others.

Attendances for teams outside of the Premier League are impressive.

https://www.efl.com/news/2017/november/efl-attendances-continue-to-increase-across-all-competitions/

Yes, but I'm not sure why we should let perfect be the enemy of good?  If a club can afford to pay for this technology, then I don't see why they shouldn't be able to.  Making it mandatory I would have a problem with at lower league level.  (You could, of course, argue that by installing the technology said richer/bigger club is giving themselves a disadvantage by introducing a way for a bad decision in their favour to be overturned.)

One problem I find that the FA is responsible for is the disallowing of 3G pitches.  These have been successful in non-league as a revenue earner and prevention of postponements.  Why they don't allow lower league clubs to have them is beyond me.

59 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Also, if a ref makes a wrong decision in an AAA match it results in anything from endless stupid bickering to death threats because the world is watching it under a microscope. 

A division lower and noone gives a shit apart from those in the ground. I say this as a follower of the lower leagues - watching The Championship, there will be an obvious dive and the commentator will just say 'X has gone down for a penalty'. No analysis, opinion or anything.

It may make for an uneven playing field for now but if players in lower leagues - or better yet, aspiring youth players - see that the top boys aren't getting away with cheating, it will filter down as it always does.

Im listening to 606 from last night and some of the England fans are so negative its bonkers. Im all for constructive reality based criticism but saying Alli and Sterling are untalented, Lane didnt turn and shouldnt get the golden boot as he scored penalties. How Southgate is "tactically nieve(sp? my favourite arm-chair criticism line. Best of all, Shelvey and Wilshire should have gone and theyd have put England over-the-top to victory. Yeah fucking right

I love this world cup concluding article by Jorge Valdano. Always interesting to hear from a non-English point of view and he has a beautiful turn of phrase at times, along with some pretty convincing analysis and predictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/16/russia-2018-claustrophobic-football-crowded-tiki-taka-world-cup

Pragmatic, eclectic teams won, teams that opened and closed like an accordion, driven by the effort of everyone. Teams that felt more comfortable counterattacking and that made set plays – as exciting as dancing with your sibling – a critical element of their game.

• Upvote 4