Dinobot

2018 FIFA World Cup

21 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Watch the end of this, 10 minutes of news about it and then the highlights on BBC1. 

Perfect. 

Tailored waistcoat fittings as they sang Southgate's praises on Newsnight a few minutes ago!

Well what a tournament. Like others have said, I think we lost the game in the second half and the experience of Croatia won out.

But hell, none of thought we'd get here, we can still get 3rd place (which would become our second-best showing) and the team is young and will learn from this. Southgate will learn from this too, we didn't really have a plan B and lacked the composure to control the tempo when the team started to get flustered. A number of players didn't really do themselves justice tonight and perhaps some don't have a longer future, but some really excelled (Trippier, mainly).

We need to be optimistic, not pessimistic. Can we start the 2020 Euro finals right now please?

• Upvote 5

Exactly. This is the first tournament England have been in that hasn't ended in acrimony since Euro 96 and we can build on this team and hopefully repeat the trick at the Euros. Hopefully Southgate will stay on and not do a Chris Coleman and build on this. I'm looking at Germany's progress from 2006 building their team up as inspiration.

I hope the Belgium A team doesn't tonk us in the third place play off.

• Upvote 1

Modric:

"English journalists, pundits from television, they underestimated Croatia tonight and that was a huge mistake. All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying 'ok, today we will see who will be tired'"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

Modric:

"English journalists, pundits from television, they underestimated Croatia tonight and that was a huge mistake. All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying 'ok, today we will see who will be tired'"

He's absolutely right. No energy in midfield from the beginning of the second-half, and you could tell England simply don't have 120mins in them from the Colombia game.

But, my main gripe is Kyle Walker - total liability.

3 minutes ago, Fallows said:

He's absolutely right. No energy in midfield from the beginning of the second-half, and you could tell England simply don't have 120mins in them from the Colombia game.

But, my main gripe is Kyle Walker - total liability.

Yup, he has had most of the defensive errors and only uses his pace to get out of trouble, never going forward.

Shame we lost today,like others have said we should have finished them off in the first half.

But I can't wait to see this new fresh squad in the euros and see who else we can bring up through the youth squads over the next few years.

I'm genuinely excited for the future of English football in the next few years.

:hat:they should be proud of themselves.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Modric:

Three matches in a row for Croatia that have gone to 120 minutes. Looking it up, Portugal also had three in Euro 2016 (but not in consecutive games).

Is three the record for the most periods of extra time that any team has gone through during an international tournament? Which other teams have done it?

Amazing World Cup. Fantastic performance from England and totally overachieved. 20 minutes away from the final is pretty ridiculous for this new squad. 90 and 96 have felt like very distant memories in recent times and this is the first time since then I've felt really proud of our team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Sad now. It's been said, but Alli should have been hooked for another midfielder to drop in beside Henderson, because once he got crowded out, the game was gone. The team was essentially 5 defenders lumping the ball up to 4 exhausted attackers, only to see it come straight back.

Shortcomings aside though, it's a tremendous achievement. Hopefully Southgate can push on, and start bringing through some of the players from the younger teams, who have tasted success and likely have a better sense on how to see out a tournament. I'm genuinely excited to see how we line up after the World Cup. 

Indeed - we have Under-20 and Under-17 World Cup winners to bring through. Let’s hope they get their chance in the PL to push on and break into the senior side.

Am I the only person who thought Croatia were better side first half? Not by a million miles but still.

And full disclosure had a bit of a cry after the match about how proud I am of these lads. Top 4 team in the world! Gets me right *there*.

Lots of hot takes going on right now, here's mine: 

Gutted to lose, obviously, but this really does feel like the start of something bigger. The squad is young and was really thrown together at the last minute and they gelled perfectly, Southgate knows what he wants and while he's had to put a few square pegs in round holes (Walker at centre back being the obvious example) you'd think given time then we will find players who can slot in where needed.   The lack of strength in depth was there to see, I strongly suspect Kane was carrying an injury in the last couple of games and we had nobody able to come in to replace him and we don't really have that central midfielder who can pick the clever passes like Paul Scholes or Gazza could in years gone by. 

We do have a load of great young players coming through though, it will be really interesting to see whether guys like Ryan Sessegnon, Jaydon Sancho and Ademola Lookman get integrated into the senior squad in the run up to Euro 2020.  I genuinely believe this team will get better given another couple of years, onwards and upwards. 

The Modric comments are weird too. I'm pretty sure Croatia would have still wanted to win the World Cup Semi Final had the English media been coy and meek about our chances against them. I get he's probably just had a mic thrust into his face after running around for two hours and is therefore knackered, but the story seems like it's being spun to generate clicks and "engagement" on social media. 

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, whizzo said:

It did come home. 

That didn't mean Winning the world cup.

Oh man , that’s a great, great comment . Bravo

Totally proud of the team. Should have buried Croatia in the first half, at this level you live to rue those chances. Croatia’s experience showed and they ended up controlling the game and were deserved winners. 

England lacked the strength in depth, Ox would have been a perfect option from the bench in this game :( 

8 hours ago, Sureshot said:

Player of the tourney for me was Maguire - confident, reliable and rock solid every game. Also, probably the only player I have ever seen to tell the ref that he was not fouled after being brought down in the area. He'll be in high demand now I'd imagine.

Lingard is going to be having many sleepless nights about that miss, I'll wager - you really have to put those away.

I agree that Maguire was excellent. But we shouldn't be commending him for diving, belated honesty or not. He hadn't learned his lesson anyway as he took a couple of hopeful tumbles last night before retreating sheepishly. It's just not necessary - for example Kane has a knack for getting just enough of his body between the defender and the ball that they have to touch him, and the ref normally has no option. 

Agree on Lingard though. He could easily have been on double figures for this tournament. If only one of Sterling, Alli or Lingard had been a bit more clinical things could have been so different.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ryodi said:

I hope the Belgium A team doesn't tonk us in the third place play off.

I think they are as fucked as we are to be honest, especially KDB. I would love to see the respective first XIs properly go at each other but I think it'll be the stiffs again like the group match.

The third-place play-off should have been scrapped a long time ago. What a depressing match to have to pick yourself up for to play or watch. Who remembers anything about any of them?

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

The third-place play-off should have been scrapped a long time ago. What a depressing match to have to pick yourself up for to play or watch. Who remembers anything about any of them?

Yeah, it’s bollocks

On 09/07/2018 at 09:03, Yobo Ahoy said:

Wah. England in 'all white' for Wednesday (so presumably that means socks and shorts too). Reminds me of the stodginess of 2010.

Edit: and 2014! Shit.

And now 2018. (And iirc, 1970 was too.) Fuck the ITV curse, the real harbinger of doom is the kit. Either get the navy shorts on or go red! 

All white = not alright