Dinobot

2018 FIFA World Cup

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/31/paolo-guerrero-cleared-play-world-cup-peru-doping-ban-frozen

Not sure how I feel about this. I've been following this for a while, his story seemed believable (and cocaine isn't exactly top of the PED list) and it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling to see the captains of the other teams in Peru's group saying that the ban should be overturned. But now it's only been 'frozen' for the duration of the World Cup it leaves a bit of a sour taste - he's still banned before and after.

You wouldn't give a banned boxer or mma fighter a temporary free pass for a world title fight just because they are old and it seems like it would be a nice thing to do. It's nuts. 

Quiet day in work so a colleague set up a challenge of making a best WC 11. Rules are you are limited to one player per country. 

My team:

DycwY87.png

A bit attack heavy in players/formation such is my FIFA preferences. If Salah isn't for then Messi gets shifted there and Suarez or Lewendowski up front. 

Was working from the shortlist we put together:

Spoiler

eyLfUHV.png

InSane. 

What a player he is and City will reap the benefits because he will be fresh and raring to go next season. 

Absolutely crazy decision, but shows the embarrassment of riches which Germany have. 

Just drew Argentina in the work sweepstake so they’re my second team after Nigeria. 

Looks like our office bought our world cup bunting from the same place as Greene King. Discussing now if we need to remove the Saudi flag or not :lol: 

I think I saw someone say recently that Sane had been given a few chances to start and hadn't really impressed. And Low is a very conservative coach when it comes to squad selection, placing a lot of faith in old favourites.

@Azrael Will have a crack at that when I get time. Your XI good although I'd be swapping Sanchez for Godin, certainly.

I wouldn't pick Salah. I mean, he might turn out to be world class but then again he might be just had a freak, inform season. 

I'd rather stick Messi out right and put Suarez or Griezmann in.

18 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Just drew Argentina in the work sweepstake so they’re my second team after Nigeria. 

I've took a punt on Argentina v Belgium for the final at 33/1. Also got another toilet role bet forecasting group qualifiers for £2.2k :unsure:

There's normally a team that catches everybody off guard or outperforms say beyond their own expectations (Wales, Iceland, Costa Rica) - this time round I reckon Serbia might do some damage. 

10 hours ago, tbb said:

I wouldn't pick Salah. I mean, he might turn out to be world class but then again he might be just had a freak, inform season. 

I'd rather stick Messi out right and put Suarez or Griezmann in.

Salah scored loads in qualifying though? It's just whether his shoulder twigs, I'm not optimistic, maybe he won't play the first game. Was gonna have Griezmann, but means changing Umtiti. 

I hate office sweepstakes.  Just did one for the World Cup - there are 16 of us so we divided the 32 into 2 pots based on their FIFA ranking.  Each person drew a team from each pot.

Who did I get in the higher ranked pot?

Fucking Tunisia.  FML.

Every year this happens.  I got Austria in the Euros.  Sigh. 

4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I hate office sweepstakes.  Just did one for the World Cup - there are 16 of us so we divided the 32 into 2 pots based on their FIFA ranking.  Each person drew a team from each pot.

Who did I get in the higher ranked pot?

Fucking Tunisia.  FML.

Every year this happens.  I got Austria in the Euros.  Sigh. 

Why did you split the pot? We just chucked all the names into one hat

20 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Why did you split the pot? We just chucked all the names into one hat

Because there are 16 of us in the team, so we've all got 2 picks.  One from the 'seeded' hat and one from the 'unseeded'.

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

Because there are 16 of us in the team, so we've all got 2 picks.  One from the 'seeded' hat and one from the 'unseeded'.

Meh, sod that just do it as luck of the draw, especially as some of the seeded sides are crap too.

I've got Iran and England. :mellow:

Need to get a world cup wall chart, I assume some newspapers will have them this weekend  right? 

31 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Need to get a world cup wall chart, I assume some newspapers will have them this weekend  right? 

Let us know if spot one in the wild!

I'll take this to the bookies thread later bit it's world cup related.

Anyone planning on gambling over the world cup? Last time out I managed to turn £100 into over £1000 before promptly losing the majority after I'd withdrawn a few hundred.

I usually go with over/under goals markets and only for games I watch. I'll be doing the same again for this tournament.

Best way to do sweepstakes is with half the pot to the winner and half to the team officially ranked last. Makes way more teams relevant.

On 01/06/2018 at 14:56, Yobo Ahoy said:

You wouldn't give a banned boxer or mma fighter a temporary free pass for a world title fight just because they are old and it seems like it would be a nice thing to do. It's nuts. 

Brock Lesnar got to skip USADA's mandatory 4 month drug testing prior to his last fight. There's precedent for flip-floppery in most places.

I'm a bit biased though - I was in Peru just after they qualified, and it was a great atmosphere. As you'd imagine.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

I'll take this to the bookies thread later bit it's world cup related.

Anyone planning on gambling over the world cup? Last time out I managed to turn £100 into over £1000 before promptly losing the majority after I'd withdrawn a few hundred.

I usually go with over/under goals markets and only for games I watch. I'll be doing the same again for this tournament.

I will be gambling like a loon as usual. Planning on same as last time, over 2.5 early stages and then under 2.5 later stages. Also going to have a spread of bets on second ranked teams to win it, as I think it’s more open this time than it seems. Also tempted to have a lump on France.