CovisGod

Fallout 76 - Prepare Your GaaS Masks

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

APB was catastrophic, but I can't remember if it was free-to-play on release. 

APB died for David Jones' sins and has been reborn, twice!

So it looks like we have a winner for that award, even if it technically isn't actually dead, over 8 years later.

APB launched in 29/6/2010, servers went down less than 6 months later. Is now available on multiple platforms as a F2P game via a different company.

I do wonder which of the 3 types of schadenfreude is being demonstrated by most posters in this thread, probably not the only reasonable one.

2 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

APB was catastrophic, but I can't remember if it was free-to-play on release. 

Pretty sure I had/have a physical copy so no, I don't think it was FTP on release.

A lot of the people on my friend list have been playing this pretty constantly since launch. Im not surprised if this has done much better than what you can gather from reading stuff on forums like this.

I had to steer my nephew away from blowing £25 on this pre-owned in game last week. I protested that it was cheap for a reason and it'd be free to download in Feb next year....

I would also suggest that if you have friends playing this, you un-friend them. Nobody needs that amount of blatant idiocy in their lives.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, marsh said:

I had to steer my nephew away from blowing £25 on this pre-owned in game last week. I protested that it was cheap for a reason and it'd be free to download in Feb next year....

I would also suggest that if you have friends playing this, you un-friend them. Nobody needs that amount of blatant idiocy in their lives.

Theyre people Ive met through sea of thieves, pubg, the division etc, and I know them for going for long-term goals in those games, so there has to be a hook in the game which makes them going.

Im not trying to defend Bethesda and the game in any way though, the canvasgate thing pretty much says everything about what they think of their customers.

49 minutes ago, ronin said:

A lot of the people on my friend list have been playing this pretty constantly since launch. Im not surprised if this has done much better than what you can gather from reading stuff on forums like this.

You can look at the most played lists on the Xbox version if you want a guestimate of how well it is doing (at least amongst that userbase, though I'd imagine it's mirrored on the other 2 platforms the game is available for).

Of course some people want it to fail spectacularly so Bethesda will be forced to publicly apologise and maybe Todd Howard will do the honourable thing and commit seppuku or at least cut off one of his fingers as atonement for wronging existing single player offline Fallout fans, or some variant of that fever dream :)

• Upvote 1

I didn't want it to fail, I didn't want it to be a steaming load of shit either though.

Still, at least there's always New Vegas after the DLC from 4.

Watched the quick look for this on Giantbomb because I was tempted to play this as a single player game and ignore the co-op but it doesn’t look like it has anything worth seeing.  The world looked nice and some of the locations were really good but it seems like a waste of tons of work if it’s not being used for any kind of story but then maybe it’s a lot easy to build if it doesn’t have to have to tie into characters and plot they’re not wasting ideas or much thought on this.

Also seems strange to have it so far away from Fallout 4 in the timeline when they are re-using so many assists from it, doesn’t seem right that things would look the same and just make it feel like a lazy cash in.