Capwn

Evil Genius - Netflix (New Jinx, Making a Murderer etc)

This is mentioned in the netflix thread but thought I'd make a thread of it's own to help people finding it. I'm actually only 1 episode in but I can already tell this is going to be in the same league as the other big murder documentaries like Jinx, Making a Murderer and TheKeepers. Probably best going into it knowing as little as possible. 

It's not. It's interesting, but I felt they really padded it out to four episodes. Was good, but not at the same level as Making a Murderer, I thought. 

44 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's not. It's interesting, but I felt they really padded it out to four episodes. Was good, but not at the same level as Making a Murderer, I thought. 

This is pretty much how I feel after watching it. Decent enough and worth a watch but not a 'must see'.

Casefile (a very good true crime podcast) did an episode on the same case last month. Well worth a listen - they wrapped it up in 100 minutes. (Episode 81).

Just now, deerokus said:

Casefile (a true crime podcast) did an episode on the same case last month. Well worth a listen - they wrapped it up in 100 minutes. 

I've heard of that podcast, I should check it out.

I watched all 4 episodes of this last week, about halfway through the second one I was starting to realise I perhaps shouldn't. It really doesn't go anywhere.

Weird, finished 3rd one and am finding it super engrossing. For me, both TMAM and Keepers went nowhere (but were incredibly amazing), it's only Jinx where the final episodes really go into a higher gear.

I think what's missing is that the core characters in this story are isolated, clearly fuck ups, and mostly dead. The threadbare character witnesses (family/friends) really add very little and mostly just confirm they are all lying fuck ups. So there's no real puzzle to solve - you're just left with a bunch of lying fuck ups who all say the other people are lying fuck ups. With Making a Murderer etc. you're on a real guilty/innocent roller coaster with various character witnesses and insanely corrupt cops challenging your opinion at every turn. With this it's a bit of a flat-line. Great opening though. The whole bomb on the neck aspect is crazy.

• Upvote 1

Yeah finished this last night, it didn't quite finish how I hoped but these things rarely do apart TheJinx. I'd agree that TMAM and Keepers had more substance. Saying that, I still want to say it's in the same league BUT even the presentation seemed a bit more rough/low budget. Kept reusing visuals and lingering on them too long too often? Something like that. 

Still, really enjoyed it.

They also just did a good podcast about it on Stuff You Should Know Podcast. Which is on the How Stuff Works podcast network. The story is interesting . I can't remember hearing about this case in the past.

This was fantastic and very compelling but I had never heard of this case prior to watching nor do I normally watch these true crime things as I tend to find them too exploitative.

Watched the whole thing across two days and found it pretty interesting, although I really didn't enjoy 

Spoiler

actually seeing the fatal detonation. Felt like watching a snuff film.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

Watched the whole thing across two days and found it pretty interesting, although I really didn't enjoy 

Hide contents

actually seeing the fatal detonation. Felt like watching a snuff film.

It was a bit weird for me too though I only remember them showing it once and they cut it very fast, I actually remember seeing the same footage from what must have been in 2003. Like it was lodged deep within my memory somewhere, I don't know if I saw it from news footage or if it was a liveleak type thing.