IGNORED

Marvel's Eternals

JohnC

24 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I thought Shang Chi was a lot of fun, did really well with some of the martial arts stuff too.

I thought it was very so-so and was bored at a number of points. There were some plusses - the two leads had some nice chemistry and there were some funny bits, but I thought the tale it told was painfully average (not unique to this film by a long shot).

Following on from Black Widow (which I thought was genuinely rubbish), I'm at the point of not needing more Marvel at this point - though my girlfriend does want to see this, so I doubtless will soon. 

On 09/11/2021 at 20:57, Festoon said:

The whole thing is too intricate and confusing for casual fans. Just like most comics, in fact. Doubling down on this strategy is a mistake, imo.

This is why I think it's great. They are throwing 200 million budgets at C grade comics like the eternals and weird multiverse stories that make Moffatt Doctor-Who-is-too-complicated look like an episode of Emmerdale. Fair chance enough will bomb and we'll never see anything like it again.

I enjoyed this more than I expected I would. The first couple of trailers didn't really excite me (I tend to avoid anything beyond the initial trailers for fear of having too much revealed) and Mark Kermode's review was less than stellar in it's recommendation (although I like to make my mind up myself rather than trust reviews for the most part). The result was that I went in with relatively low expectations but comfortable in the knowledge that none of the MCU movies I've seen had been a true disappointment - even the ones I've enjoyed least have still had plenty to like about them.

Despite my overall enjoyment there were a number of problems with the film though:

Spoiler
  • There were too many Eternals. At one point, when they were getting the team back together after Ajak's death, I completely forgot about Phastos! Ten main characters was far too many to introduce properly in a single movie, even when two of them are killed off.
  • I didn't like the Deviant designs very much, which were mostly forgetable because none of the individual creatures got enough time to develop any sort of real personality - even the lead Deviant. As someone else already said, it might have been better to focus more on the Deviants and their purpose and left the whole emergence bit for a later time.
  • The overall idea of Eternals and Deviants being a mechanism to allow intelligent life to evolve and increase to the extent that the seeded Celestial could be released seemed pointlessly convoluted and little more than a hook to base the movie around rather than making any sort of logical sense.
  • Dane was a largely pointless addition for the purpose of this film. While his relationship with Sersi might lead to fruition in future films, his placement just felt a bit ham-fisted in it's coincidence (unless there are still things to be revealled at a future date - I'm not a Marvel comics reader so have no clue on how these characters fit).

I was happy to see that the film didn't end up with another climactic battle against thousands of CGI creatures though.

It's left me interested to see how this and future phases will develop and play out.

On 06/11/2021 at 20:12, sandman said:

Personally, I’m getting serious franchise fatigue from the MCU. Up to this year Iron Man 2 was the only one I hadn’t seen at the cinema. But I missed Shang Chi and doubt I will bother with this. Four movies in 6 months is just too much. 

The poor reviews aren’t helping either 

I had no idea Shang Chi even came out. Seems it reviewed well, so I’ll have to check that one out. 

On 06/11/2021 at 20:12, sandman said:

Personally, I’m getting serious franchise fatigue from the MCU. Up to this year Iron Man 2 was the only one I hadn’t seen at the cinema. But I missed Shang Chi and doubt I will bother with this. Four movies in 6 months is just too much. 

The poor reviews aren’t helping either 

The pandemic has been a major factor in the scheduling though. Black Widow was delayed a year, and then the next three films have been crammed into a tight autumn / winter schedule as lockdowns have eased. That's not to say you wouldn't still be fatigued but it won't have been helped by the skewed release dates.

Watched it this evening time, and fuck me, it could’ve been almost a whole hour shorter and told essentially the same story. Some of the least-inspiring casting in an MCU film as well. A real dud, and deathly tedious. The Black Widow stand-alone film was a thrilling cinematic masterpiece compared to this.

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Watched it this evening time, and fuck me, it could’ve been almost a whole hour shorter and told essentially the same story. Some of the least-inspiring casting in an MCU film as well. A real dud, and deathly tedious. The Black Widow stand-alone film was a thrilling cinematic masterpiece compared to this.

I respect more what Eternals did than Black Widow. Eternals was just too ambitious but did have some good ideas and themes despite my reservations as I had zero interest in them.

I dunno i kinda enjoyed it. Going in with low expectations probably helped. The lack of snip snappy marvel quippage was appreciated, and when it attempted that it was a weakness. It's a slightly awkward movie but it's the first MCU movie I've enjoyed in a while and I'm definitely down for a sequel.

14 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

52 minutes ago, DumbMagician said:

I dunno i kinda enjoyed it. Going in with low expectations probably helped. The lack of snip snappy marvel quippage was appreciated, and when it attempted that it was a weakness. It's a slightly awkward movie but it's the first MCU movie I've enjoyed in a while and I'm definitely down for a sequel.

Definitely a Marmite type movie this. I can understand both points of view. But from a purely financial point of view my guess is the majority of the population would find it dull- and it is thus a big gamble. We will never know, but I wonder how it would have fared in 2020 if Covid never happened.

13 hours ago, yakumo said:

I respect more what Eternals did than Black Widow. Eternals was just too ambitious but did have some good ideas and themes despite my reservations as I had zero interest in them.

That’s how I feel about it too on some level; unlike BW, Eternals did at least attempt something newish for the MCU, despite the whole concept being far from pulled off satisfactorily. Wouldn’t mind an improved sequel, but unfortunately Eternals does have the air of a longwinded DC movie which won’t get a proper follow-up.

20 minutes ago, probotector said:

I think I’ll wait for the Disney plus release.

The current phase seem even more made for TV than the first phase…

You say that, but it did feel like it could’ve been edited into a mini-series. Or rather, like it was a mini-series haphazardly edited into an overly-long film. Like the Snyder cut of Justice League.

It should have been a TV series with the majority of the episodes focusing on a different character's recruitment and 'what have they been up to?' story. Then we could have potentially formed some kind of meaningful attachment to them.

Before seeing if, I'd begun to slightly resent this film because of the way it was being presented online: "This one's different from the rest of the MCU because it's made by an Actual Auteur with a Distinct Authorial Voice and Proper Cinematography."

Combine that with my complete unfamiliarity with the comics characters, and a general skepticism about how appealing an Ancient Astronauts story can possibly be, as you have a film that had its work cut out to win me over. But by the end, I was pleasantly surprised by how much it had done.

Not that I think it's great (I'd put it lower-mid tier on my MCU ranking - yes, that's how much we can divide this series now!), but I liked it more than I thought I would.

The non-linear structure started off feeling clunky, but later began to work pretty well as a way of revealing what drove the group apart.

Considering all the film's talk about the beauty in humanity, it didn't really feature many individual examples of it! The film is very insularly focused on the title group - the only exceptions being

Spoiler

the two boyfriends, the son, and the comic relief valet.

Genuinely impressive and spectacular sense of scale in the action climax...

Spoiler

... but I can't help feel that this might have stolen some of Galactus's thunder!

It occurred to me that Eternals marks a number of second-times for the MCU:

* Second MCU role for Gemma Chan (hands up anyone who remembers her character in Captain Marvel?)

* Second MCU film scored by Ramin Djawadi (the last one being all the way back in Iron Man!)

* Second MCU film to feature Pink Floyd on the soundtrack (Doctor Strange was the other one).

I struggled to stay awake through the first half our of this.  I'd only had four hours sleep the night before, so no idea how much of that was me or the films slow pace. a jump scare woke me up again.  I was so tired it might not have been an actual jump scare.

I think it's a shame they didn't quite land what they were going for.  They needed to cut to the chase on what the Eternals were about sooner. There was more/better drama they could have wrung out of the middle of the film and the deviant elements.  The script definitely needed another couple of rounds in the oven.

I kind of enjoyed it.  Not as good as Highlander.  Better than Chronicles of Riddick.

I don't quite get this, So many people complained that marvel was getting samey and stale. Something comes along that isn't crash bang wallop CGI fest witty quip template stuff. That is slow paced and has an interesting moral question at its heart, "It is okay to kill one to save millions that might eventually kill millions". The cast are generally likeable and have pretty good reasons for their actions (at least i thought they did) - "these people were the ones that challenged Thanos and stopped his evil plan".

But people still don't like it.

I genuinely thought it was great, and whilst it doesn't all quite work (The bad animal things getting a voice goes nowhere). At least it tried something new, at least it wasn't the same old template. Ironman didn't turn up with a new super powerful suit to save the day.

Ok, I love comic books and superhero film, ever since Christopher Reeves rolled around on a glass plate in front of a clearly back projection. Hell, since Buster Crabbe stopped Ming the Merciless in black and white on a Saturday morning.  I'm an absolute fan of this genre and i thought this was really great. This had a soul to it. For me at least. 

57 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It’s almost as if something can be different from the template and still rubbish. Who knew.

it was doomed from the start, Eternals are just boring characters in comics. I'm sure there's a long game which is going to pay off later down the line, but I really don't  care about celestials. 

On 19/11/2021 at 11:03, AstroBot said:

EE2C695F-B0BB-4BA6-A9B9-86C1EA5716BB.jpeg

She's bland in Eternals, I was far more interested in the relationship between Druig and Makkari, or heck Thena and Gilgamesh. 

Holy shit the opening sequence to this film was absolutely terrible. Tropes and quips and absolutely no soul in this (just over halfway through).

So far, the best things about this movie is it made me Google Kit Harrington, and I found out he had a baby with Ygritte earlier this year.